PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dang Squirrels

Tom
10-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't know who took these, but they're pretty cool.

Kevan
10-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I had one of dem big a$$ squirrels applying a world of hurt on my clear plastic cylindrical feeder. Still use the feeder, puncture marks 'n' all. Raised it up some is all.

If your neighbors don't typically get such visits, don't tell'm you did, cuz they'll think you're crazy. The police told me not to approach the animal. Smart police we have.

BumbleBeeDave
10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
. . . has gotten a bit overgrown, hasn't it Tom? :rolleyes:

BBD

Onno
10-23-2007, 08:45 PM
This explains a four-year mystery I've never been able to figure out. I was camping in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, back when bear bags were still allowed. We hung our food bags from DEC cables strung between trees, about 20 feet off the ground. We tied them right up to the cable, using several ropes, decoy ropes, etc. About an hour after we got into the tents after dark, we could hear bears hustling around for an hour or so, and then the sound of all our food falling to the ground. When we got out to look, early in the morning, we were surprised to see the bear bags still attached to the cable (i.e. 20 feet up in the air), but with the bottoms ripped out of them. We couldn't figure out how the bears did this. We speculated that they built a bear pyramid, with cubs on top. :rolleyes: But sliding out along the cable makes more sense. Damn they're smart. Cute as heck too.

Or, are these photos photo-shopped?????

Blue Jays
10-23-2007, 08:53 PM
The owners simply need to cover the rope/cable with long sections of PVC tube next time around and the problem is solved. The bears would spin right off.

csm
10-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I guess my daisy red ryder wouldn't be much use against those bigger squirrels. there was an article in BACKPACKER the other month about how bears defeat different ways of securing food.

DarrenCT
10-23-2007, 09:14 PM
this is good entertainment.

those bears are very cute. what would my cat think of a new bear pet?

chuckroast
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
That squirrel's been dopin'....

William
10-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Don't get me started!!!! :butt:

William

Sandy
10-24-2007, 07:32 AM
this is good entertainment.

those bears are very cute. what would my cat think of a new bear pet?

Much more importantly, what would a bear think about a cat for lunch?? :)

Chomp Chomp Swallow Sandy

Tom
10-24-2007, 08:27 AM
My brother's wife has a whole series of pictures she took out of their kitchen window of a bear demolishing their bird feeder. The funny thing is bears always have that one guilty look they give you, "Oh, ****, I'm busted!" The same expression is in one of the one's my brother's wife took.

Cats don't have much to worry from bears. It's the fisher cats that always get them.

William
10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Cats don't have much to worry from bears. It's the fisher cats that always get them.

First time I heard those things screaming out in the woods I almost had to change my shorts.

:)

William

BURCH
10-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Very cool pics. I love bears...as long as I don't run into them in the woods while fly fishing or mtn biking!!

Fixed
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
bro i don't want to see the rats
cheers

Your_Friend!
10-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Friends!

He Looks Like A

_Very_ Friendly Bear!

I Love Bears!

But _Not_ Polar Ones!

Love,
Y_F!

roman meal
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
First time I heard those things screaming out in the woods I almost had to change my shorts.

:)

William

A guy down the road from us was cutting his lawn when a rabid fisher cat dropped out of a tree and attacked him. Jumped on his back, and he had to do one of these WWF reverse suplex body slam moves on it.

Scary.

Onno
10-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey friendly guy.

What's wrong with polar bears?

They're smart and beautiful. What more does one want from an animal (other, perhaps, than that they don't try to kill and eat you)?

jel
10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Aside from being the only bear that is most likely to hunt humans? Polar Bears are great!

William
10-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Aside from being the only bear that is most likely to hunt humans? Polar Bears are great!

Yeah, unless you "P" them off.....

Kevan
10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
on the subject of real squirrels, my daughter called me yesterday and said she's pretty sure she bagged one yesterday. She said she was going downhill and saw the little bugger bee lining it for her bicycle's front wheel. As she conveyed the event to me over the phone, she saw it coming from the corner of her eye, she yelled out (probably something like, “Watch out, Mr. Squirrel!), and then (get this!) shut her eyes for fear of the sight of blood.

Now to be honest, I'm not happy that the little guy decided to end it all. I’m glad my daughter didn’t end it all. And let’s be realistic here, with a novice-cycling murderer doing the deed with her eyes shut, I'm not too sure the accuracy of the account. she did say however she felt him under the tire.

Anyway, William, there you go...one less nut stasher.

Karin Kirk
10-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah, unless you "P" them off.....

If Y_F the one with the pocketbook?
I would have expected a little more style, like one of those Chrome messenger bags, or at least a Timbuk2 or something.

I know that Y_F is not the mean one with the cymbals. He's too friendly to be so mischievous.

gasman
10-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Friends!

He Looks Like A

_Very_ Friendly Bear!

I Love Bears!

But _Not_ Polar_Ones!

Love,
Y_F!

Don't worry Y_F

Polar bears are a long way from your continent- you don't live in the arctic !!