PDA

View Full Version : Velocity synergy 650B rim question...

tbushnel
10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I recently built up a set of wheels with these rims. I just got some tires from Rivendell - the Panaracer Col de la Vie 36mm tires. In putting them on the rims it was immediately obvious that they were a loose fit (putting on a tire was never sooooo easy). Anyway, I pump up to 40-50 psi (max is 50) and the tube just pushes the tire right off the rim. This seems like a recipe for a rolled tire.

Anyone know if these tires are compatible with these rims? I thought also that maybe the inner tube wasn't "seated" properly so I deflated and inflated several times (thought about talc but didn't do it, thinking I may send the tires back). This did seem to help some, but still the side walls are not uniformly showing, meaning some areas show more sidewall than others.

Any advice/experience you wish to share would be great. I am sending an email to Rivendell to ask them as well.

Cheers,
TEd.

Steve Hampsten
10-22-2007, 11:36 PM
I have that combo on my own 650B bike. It works fine, I had a great ride on it Saturday, and I think I recall massaging the tire for a bit when installing on those rims.

But it's held up fine; remember, we're not using crazy pressure here.

39cross
10-23-2007, 06:51 AM
I will second what Steve says, you have to massage the tire bead a bit to get it to fit uniformly, these don't fit snugly like skinny 700c tires. Deflate the tube and work the tire on by hand, it will go on evenly, and all will be well.

palincss
10-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I recently built up a set of wheels with these rims. I just got some tires from Rivendell - the Panaracer Col de la Vie 36mm tires. In putting them on the rims it was immediately obvious that they were a loose fit (putting on a tire was never sooooo easy). Anyway, I pump up to 40-50 psi (max is 50) and the tube just pushes the tire right off the rim. This seems like a recipe for a rolled tire.

Anyone know if these tires are compatible with these rims? I thought also that maybe the inner tube wasn't "seated" properly so I deflated and inflated several times (thought about talc but didn't do it, thinking I may send the tires back). This did seem to help some, but still the side walls are not uniformly showing, meaning some areas show more sidewall than others.

Any advice/experience you wish to share would be great. I am sending an email to Rivendell to ask them as well.

Cheers,
TEd.

Inflate them up to 90 or so for around 5 sec. As you inflate, watch the line at the low spot. Either it will gradually creep up to where it belongs, or it will click in with an audible noise the way 700Cs typically do. Then bleed back to 50.

Note: this has been often discussed on the 650B mailing list. You might want to join that list.

I've been using the CdlVs since 2005 and now have around 12,000 miles on them. I have them on my Saluki and my Kogswell P/R.

dauwhe
10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
The other trick is to inflate the tire to 90psi or so (after the bead is more or less in place, otherwise the tube will bulge out). Then reduce pressure to 50. This helps align the bead, so I'm told.

I've ridden many thousands of miles with this rim with no issues.

Dave

dauwhe
10-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Once again Steve beats me to the punch : )

Dave

tbushnel
10-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Very helpful indeed. I am looking forward to the first ride, hopefully this weekend (so long as those Paul racers arrive in the mail so I can stop the bike without draggin my feet). :beer: :beer:

Palincss: the 650B mailing list sounds very interesting. How do I find that?

Cheers,

Ted.

dauwhe
10-23-2007, 08:07 AM
http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/650b

tbushnel
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
thanks for the link Dave. :cool:
Ted.