PDA

View Full Version : What type of weather will keep you from riding?

scottcw
07-18-2004, 01:05 PM
You have planned a ride and wake up to...

Rain
Bitter cold
Rain and cold
Draining heat
(Fill in the blank)

Which one(s) cancel your planned ride?

Andreu
07-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Ice or potential for black ice on the road.
I have cancelled two rides in my life because of ice.
A :beer:

Russ
07-18-2004, 01:13 PM
If I wake up and it is sunny, calm, and in the high 70s.... I will not ride!

Well, I am an afternoon kind-a-guy :p

Heat, Draining heat? What's that?

I have not choice but to ride in the heat! I actually have learnt to like it...

Dekonick
07-18-2004, 01:15 PM
wake up and have an angry wife...

pale scotsman
07-18-2004, 01:41 PM
We don't have to worry about ice and snow down here but during the summer a thunderstorm can come out of nowhere, literally.

A few weeks back I set a personal record for my after work 12 mile loop. I left with a storm south, and another far north of town. 40 minutes is all I needed and 10 minutes too long because the two converged right over our town. Lightening popping like the 4th of July.

It was so bad my wife and son came looking for me but I rode it out like a dumbass. Dumb because it scared the crap out of my son. :crap:

coylifut
07-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Black ice or packed ice and snow will keep me from riding. However, I will ride with snow on the sides and maybe patchy slush in the centers, I just take the cross bike. POs the wife. Even though she is an avid supporter and fan of cycling, she thinks she's got me for the day, but honey doo list just piles up.

Bruce H.
07-18-2004, 01:57 PM
The type of weather we are having now. Torrential rain and flood warnings. We had a ride scheduled for rhis am but postponed it. Better be safe than sorry :crap:
Bruce H

Tom
07-18-2004, 02:00 PM
I can deal with most any rain, wind, 100 degree heat but I'm afraid of lightning. I'll moan and complain about those first three but I'll ride.

Ice is impossible, but around here by the time you have ice you also have snow banks and salt so it's not worth it. I crank up the trainer, the TV and some tunes and vegetate in the cellar.

Elefantino
07-18-2004, 02:50 PM
We ride the the rain (as we did this morning; I hate rooster tails).

We ride in the cold (one day last winter we started the ride when it was 28 degrees outside; OK, I know, but it's Florida).

We ride in the scorching heat (ditto).

I will not, however, ride when there is thunder audible. That means lightning is usually within 10 miles of you and can strike ... particularly when you're riding 19 pounds of Serotta steel weathervane that screams, "I'm over here!"

That's about it.

Kevin
07-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Below 40 I hit the trainer.

Kevin

theoldman
07-18-2004, 05:58 PM

Rain
Bitter cold
Rain and cold
Draining heat
(Fill in the blank)

I will ride in the cold (20F), I will ride in the heat, I will ride in the snow and ice (winter bike), but I will not ride when it is raining, when thunderstorms threaten or when the winds are above 30MPH.

Before every ride I always check the weather radar and RUC weather model. If it looks good I am on my way. If it looks bad I will wait.

caffeine power
07-19-2004, 07:54 AM

Rain...it'd have to have lightning to make me stay home
Bitter cold...We get that here, but that's what the one speed & MTB are for...or go play hockey
Rain and cold...what else are bootie covers & neoprene for?
Draining heat...15 years in Texas cured me of that fear...and a cold beer afterwards
(Fill in the blank)

Now the one thing that makes me sit home is hail...I don't like getting beat to ***** & bruised unless I'm crashing.

davids
07-19-2004, 10:03 AM

Rain - This is most likely to send me back to bed. I need a Ti bike!
Bitter cold - I went mountain biking this winter when it was 2. Fahrenheit. I was bitter cold but happy!
Rain and cold - See rain.
Draining heat - Nope.
(Fill in the blank)
Heavy percipitation of any kind - I have to wear glasses to see, and when they get misted up, I'm in trouble.

And slushy snow. If it's hardpack, I'll cope.

victoryfactory
07-19-2004, 10:15 AM
I can do 40 degrees plus.
Colder than that, forget it.
Heat doesn't bother me at all, bring it on - 100 degrees F
I laugh at the wind - HA!
As far as rain, The only way I'll ride willingly in the rain is if (like a pro) I'm getting paid.
Too uncomfortable, too much hassle cleaning the bike, Way too dangerous, too many flats.

VF, who will whine about the rain but won't ride in it.

Spectrum Bob
07-19-2004, 10:17 AM
I will not ride if there is:
Ice
Snow on road
A Thunder Storm
Below 20 degrees

Ken Robb
07-19-2004, 02:38 PM
under 60 F, over 80 F and any rain. I live in San Diego

MartyE
07-19-2004, 03:03 PM
thunderstorms with good chance of hail, tornado warnings, high winds.
icy roads in winter.

marty

ericmurphy
07-19-2004, 06:31 PM
The only kind of weather we ever actually get here in San Francisco that would keep me from riding is rain.

When I lived on the East Coast, I could ride in weather as cold as 20 degrees, but it never gets below 40 degrees here.

Never snows.

Never any lightning or thunder (which is kind of disappointing).

I've never tried riding in an earthquake, but I imagine it's fairly challenging.

BikerGrl
07-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Thunder bumpers. Got caught out and it turned into 60+MPH winds. Thought I would get hit with a maibox or something. Was clear all day and into evening but in a matter of seconds turned ugly. Also, don't do ice(except in my water).