PDA

View Full Version : Kids on Bikes?

Onno
10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Do any of you see children on bikes in your towns? I live in a town that ought to be nearly ideal for children to ride (small, relatively light and slow traffic), but I rarely see any. The few I do (as I did today) are generally on BMX bikes, without a helmet, riding on the wrong side of the road. I'm guessing that kids are not taught the rules of the road, or bike safety, because it's now generally assumed that kids won't have bikes. Parents of the few kids with bikes apparently aren't teaching them either.

When I was a kid 35 years or so ago, we all had bikes. We knew the rules, in part because they were regularly taught in school, though I think we may have ignored many of them. (I grew up in a town so small it hardly mattered.)

Why do so few kids ride today? Is it parents worried about safety issues, or the more general sedentary nature of our culture? What proportion of American kids today even know how to ride a bike, would you guess? How would this compare with the kids of European countries? So many questions....

KeithS
10-22-2007, 10:08 PM
This summer I bought my 7 year old his first bike with presta valves. Brought a tear to my eye. Times they are a changing. When I was a kid and like you grew up in small town. We used to ride our bikes all over our small town and our mom's were not in the least concerned about our safety. We played some ball, went swimming, got in a little mischief (that mom knew about before we got home). Mostly we were just kids.

My kids are like all others - very overscheduled, and their time is not their own. Even though we live in a very leafy livable suburban community, not in our wildest dreams would we allow our 11 and 7 year olds run around like we did in our small town. On the bright side my kids and I went to one of the local parks on our bikes more evenings than we didn't. We were often the only ones who got there on our bikes. Closest was a 4 mile round trip and the furthest was 8. We have fun. We have lots of kids on bikes in our area, mostly riding junk from mass merchandisers. The gear isn't so very great, but most parents don't know better and it isn't exercise or transportation, it's just a bike. My kids are on some pretty nice Treks. I have a few more years before I offer the kid my Fierte...

redir
10-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I guess it depends on what you mean by kids. You know as you get older 'Kids' get older too ;) In my college town I see hundreds of college age kids riding bikes. I have a few friends with kids in the 10-13 year age that also ride.

If I had kids I would definitely let them ride around like I used to. I remember riding miles and miles to go over to friends houses and play football or soccer all day long and then riding miles back home for diner. My parents taught me to ride and at first it was to the end of the driveway, then down the street and finally where ever I wanted.

We did in fact used to have a program in school where kids would get their bicycle riding license. The local PD would set up a course with sinage and what not and we would have to know the rules, ride the course and take a test to get the license.

It would be nice if they incorporated such a thing perhaps in PE class.

djg
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Here's a really lousy snapshot of my 10 year-old on her road bike:

J.Greene
10-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Why do so few kids ride today? Is it parents worried about safety issues, or the more general sedentary nature of our culture? What proportion of American kids today even know how to ride a bike, would you guess? How would this compare with the kids of European countries? So many questions....

I am not over protective by any means, but I worry about my kids. The number of Children who are abducted makes me uncomfortable with letting them roam the way i did growing up. My boys (8,5,4) do ride bikes with me, and with my Dad, but I like to have an adult near. I am trying to get them them interested in swimming and they have played soccer. Our Small town has a really nice indoor rock climbing facility that I'm hoping to spend more time at too. I am bothered that they can't grow up like I did without those worrries, but I'm not going to risk their safty for my nostalgia.

JG

redir
10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I am not over protective by any means, but I worry about my kids. The number of Children who are abducted makes me uncomfortable with letting them roam the way i did growing up. My boys (8,5,4) do ride bikes with me, and with my Dad, but I like to have an adult near. I am trying to get them them interested in swimming and they have played soccer. Our Small town has a really nice indoor rock climbing facility that I'm hoping to spend more time at too. I am bothered that they can't grop up like I did without those worrries, but I'm not going to risk their safty for my nostalgia.

JG
JG,

The question is this. Is there simply more media attention drawn to abductions and other such crimes today or are there actually more abductions and crime? I am not so sure times are really any different today then they were in the 70's - 80's when I was a kid riding around. I know my parents worried about me going off but I am so grateful that they did. Life itself is very dangerous but it's not worth living if you have to be in shell. Please don't take this wrong I am not saying you are an over protective nut case :) I'm just making a point in general. I think that statistically it's very unlikely that any given child is going to be a victim of crime. Sure it's going to happen but the likelihood is not there.

Fixed
10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Here's a really lousy snapshot of my 10 year-old on her road bike:
that is a great foto
cheers imho

deechee
10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Parents have less time to spend with their children, more cars on the road, less empty spaces for kids to play, parents with delusions of their kids becoming NBA pros, etc. I dunno.

That said, I still see kids in my parent's neighborhood riding bikes, and I've seen young kids < 10 riding in the dark with no lights and wonder where their parents are.

Honestly though, how many adults are discouraged to ride outside? Yesterday I ran into my dentist as I was biking home and he told me he never rides in the city. The first time he tried, he was climbing a steep hill in our neighborhood at "0km/h" and got rear-ended by some lunatic. He went flying, rear wheel taco'd and a broken pinky. Its just not safe out there.

J.Greene
10-23-2007, 09:52 AM
respectfully,

It does not matter if it is unlikely. We had a violent rape in my family. A family member was abducted in a shopping mall parking lot when she was in college. That was unlikely bit it happened. We still go to malls, but i prefer my wife not jog at night, and at places she is alone. When it is your own flesh and blood; your hopes, dreams and future; it's not something I toy with.

Keep in mind, my boys are not sheltered, but at 8,5 and 4 we keep a better eye on them than what was kept on me.

btw, I am fairly certain violent crime in Central Florida is up dramatically per capita over the last 30 years.

JG

JG,

The question is this. Is there simply more media attention drawn to abductions and other such crimes today or are there actually more abductions and crime? I am not so sure times are really any different today then they were in the 70's - 80's when I was a kid riding around. I know my parents worried about me going off but I am so grateful that they did. Life itself is very dangerous but it's not worth living if you have to be in shell. Please don't take this wrong I am not saying you are an over protective nut case :) I'm just making a point in general. I think that statistically it's very unlikely that any given child is going to be a victim of crime. Sure it's going to happen but the likelihood is not there.

Fixed
10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
bro wackos have always come here remember ted bundy ?
and the hitch hiking woman ho that killed her johns
more people more crime
cheers