PDA

View Full Version : Crank for a Surly Cross-Check?

saab2000
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Will a Surly Cross-Check take a normal road crank and BB? My recollection is no.

If not, what will it take?

I would like to use a Centaur UT compact if I get one of these bikes.

coylifut
10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
i've only seen "regular" cranks on Surly cross checks. i can see no reason why it wouldn't take a UT crank

shinomaster
10-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Yay for one more campy cross bike. :banana:

saab2000
10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
i've only seen "regular" cranks on Surly cross checks. i can see no reason why it wouldn't take a UT crank

I thought the stays were too wide. If not, cool.

I am thinking of getting one with large tires for winter riding and some trail riding, etc. Don't want to break the budget. The comparable bike from Soma appeals too.

Getting a 'real' cross bike would be great, but I can't afford one at the moment.

Seems like the Surly is about as good as it gets for the money. I just wish it had a brazed on brake stop for the rear cantilever brake.

handsomerob
10-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Will a Surly Cross-Check take a normal road crank and BB? My recollection is no.

If not, what will it take?

I would like to use a Centaur UT compact if I get one of these bikes.

I had an Ultegra triple crankset on mine and now a Ritchey compact. You are good to go either way.

handsomerob
10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
I thought the stays were too wide. If not, cool.

I am thinking of getting one with large tires for winter riding and some trail riding, etc. Don't want to break the budget. The comparable bike from Soma appeals too.

Getting a 'real' cross bike would be great, but I can't afford one at the moment.

Seems like the Surly is about as good as it gets for the money. I just wish it had a brazed on brake stop for the rear cantilever brake.

I don't know what would be a more "real" cross bike than the Surly. So what if it weighs a bit, it is well built and does the job VERY well. My buddy and I traded it off for the last cross series and it couldn't have been better.

As far as the braze-on, I agree. Make sure to get an extra long seat post binder one. I wish the one I got was a little longer.

shinomaster
10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I've seen a lot of them in Portland, and one with centaur (square taper cranks). Are you sure you don't want a Poprad? :p

thwart
10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Seems like the Surly is about as good as it gets for the money. Some folks call it stovepipe, but I think it's a great frame---for what it is and meant for. I have a 1st gen (square taper) Campy Veloce compact on mine; the Centaur UT would fit too.

You'll like it a lot.

Dekonick
10-22-2007, 10:34 PM
great all around frame. I had mine built up as a fixee with sugino crank, now it has deore lx tripple - no issues. Great frame to just abuse any way you can think of.

Takes standard english threaded BB and whatever cranks you have. The rear stays are wide enough (132.5) to take mountain bike hubs (135) or road (130)

wide enough for tires as fat as you can find... :banana:

Fat Robert
10-23-2007, 05:30 AM
jimbo, rock the rob roy

you only need one gear

Fixed
10-23-2007, 05:57 AM
jimbo, rock the rob roy

you only need one gear
there can be only one
cheers imho

lemonlaug
10-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I've got a cross-check on the way too! In fact, it's here and I'm just waiting on my wheel set. Gonna ride it single speed, and then when the time comes for a big loaded tour I'll swap out the cross-check fork with the long haul trucker model.

I could load it up with 50 lbs of stuff and ride the fixed side of my wheel set, but methinks I'll put a triple on it instead. That's a ways down the road though. For now I'm excited for the first incarnation... hurry up mail!

TACSTS
10-23-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't know what would be a more "real" cross bike than the Surly. So what if it weighs a bit, it is well built and does the job VERY well. My buddy and I traded it off for the last cross series and it couldn't have been better.

As far as the braze-on, I agree. Make sure to get an extra long seat post binder one. I wish the one I got was a little longer.

Here's what you need handsomerob: just out from Surly, longer rear hanger, and it's stainless!

handsomerob
10-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Here's what you need handsomerob: just out from Surly, longer rear hanger, and it's stainless!

Looks perfect for the application.... amazing that there wasn't something similar on the market until now. Any idea how much it is?

I ended up getting my short POS one from an eBay seller in Australia. I couldn't find one anywhere else.

erikbrooks
10-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Where is this found? I spent a couple minutes searching the Surly site, and came up dry. Also, I'm not quite getting how this is mounted, and I think it might be also useful on my canti Soma doublecross.
thanks

handsomerob
10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Where is this found? I spent a couple minutes searching the Surly site, and came up dry. Also, I'm not quite getting how this is mounted, and I think it might be also useful on my canti Soma doublecross.
thanks

It would hang off the rear bolt in your seat post clamp. I guess it wouldn't be compatible with all clamps, but for mine that is how it works.

mschol17
10-23-2007, 02:17 PM
thanks

http://www.velo-orange.com/suststcaha.html

Fixed
10-23-2007, 02:49 PM
surly anybody know their history ?
they have a lot of gizmos that nobody seems to make but them
cheers

erikbrooks
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
http://www.velo-orange.com/suststcaha.html

Just what I need. I'm also tempted by one of their frames, which I saw got a rave review in Bicycle Quarterly.

TACSTS
10-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Well I got that picture from aebike.com not 4 hours ago, and now it doesn't seem to be there anymore. I found out about them on surly's blog about their new products from interbike. From what I understand it mounts in the middle of the seatpost clamp, just like the short stock one does now, but this one is longer and has an adjustment barrel built in.

Price was $9 when it was up. Should be available from any shop that can order from QBP.