PDA

View Full Version : % Sales in CA?

PoppaWheelie
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't know about the rest of the country...or at least other affluent metro areas, but it seems here in the Bay Area that just about every forth or fith bike you see out on the roads is a Serotta. Great for Serotta, of course...and it makes me wonder what percentage of the domestic sales go to CA.

Anyone have any ideas? Are most metro areas the same way?

davids
10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Nowhere near 20-25% of the bikes on the road in greater Boston.

I rode 40+ miles yesterday, on some pretty popular cycling roads. I was paying more attention than usual to the other bikes I saw, as I was keeping my eyes peeled for a shiny new Sachs with lots of bar drop. I didn't see the Sachs, but did see significant numbers of Treks, Giants, and cheap, older steel (Centurion, anybody?) I'd say I saw 70-80 bikes, and one was a Serotta. Two if you count me!

I saw a decent number on the century I rode last month in southern MA & RI - Maybe somewhere between 2-3% of the total bikes.

bigman
10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Pretty popular here on the North Shore of Long Island as well - you see many but percentage wise I think one in 20 might be a stretch.

Avispa
10-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Here is So. Florida Serottas are very scarce... As a matter of fact, there are only three major Serotta dealers in Florida!

The highest end bikes are the Pinarellos and Orbeas, then the usual Treks and Cannondales. It is amazing to see the number of Cannondales with the Liquigas colors on the road after DiLuca won the Giro... guess advertising works!

Now, I am aware that the cycling population here is not comprised of the most affluent people. Like Europe, most riders here are just above the lower economic class (making 30K a year or less, that is).

..A..

SoCalSteve
10-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Maybe 1 in 10 to one in 15 in Los Angeles....Even though at some point when you see the Sundance boys out, the percentage goes way up (usually in Malibu). I dont ride in the Valley ever. I'm just basing this on West Side beach riding.

Your viewing results may vary,

Steve

swoop
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Maybe 1 in 10 to one in 15 in Los Angeles....Even though at some point when you see the Sundance boys out, the percentage goes way up (usually in Malibu). I dont ride in the Valley ever. I'm just basing this on West Side beach riding.

Your viewing results may vary,

Steve

i'd push that lower... more like one in 40. i see a couple on a big group ride and one or two at a race... really under-represented out here.

Dan Le foot
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Less than 1% in San Diego. I see Losta Treks. (Probably the market leader)Specialized, Colnago, Giant, Look.
The area that I saw the largest % of Serotta's was on the Western slopes of Colorado.
Dan

Louis
10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
In the St Louis area I see maybe three or four per year out on the road, and maybe one or two at each local race. The racer-boys typically ride C-dales and Orbea and stuff like that, and the non-serious riders Treks or Specialized. Last year I saw a Calfee - couldn't believe it. Some guy older from Calif who used to live just down the road from the factory.

mikki
10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
I see ALOT of Serottas here in OC; not sure the percentage, but quite a few.

PoppaWheelie
10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
...but on a good weekend ride in Marin you will definitely see several...maybe a dozen. At the local centuries (like the Wine Country in Santa Rosa or the Marin) the rest stops are full of choc full of them it seems. Of the 5 or 6 friends I have who are roadies, two are on Serotta.. etc, etc.

Ken Robb
10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I wonder how the quality of the Serotta dealers in an area affects this ratio?
Probably a LOT!

Blue Jays
10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
The unique characteristic that I've noticed about Serotta bicycles seen in my area is the dramatic amount of stem rise. My riding friend mentioned that to me as well, so it wasn't just something I noticed.
Perhaps it has something to do with the hilly terrain or average height of the typical buyer.

Steelhead
10-22-2007, 10:30 PM
They are a regular sight here in Austin TX, lots of cyclists in the know and a great dealer here in Austin as well.

I remember reading stats from the Hawaii Ironman once where they compiled a "head count" of all the bike mfgs. represented at Kona. That was pretty cool - I would like to see the same compiled for a large century ride. I think that would be interesting to note how many Serottas, Pegorettis, Strong, et al.. are in the fold with the rest of the "main street" bikes.

Steevo
10-22-2007, 10:35 PM
I see way more than I used to here in the Nyack area. Seems like every year I see more an more Serottas. A fair estimate would be 1 in 20. Always see one or two on a weekend ride.

swoop
10-22-2007, 11:07 PM
The unique characteristic that I've noticed about Serotta bicycles seen in my area is the dramatic amount of stem rise. My riding friend mentioned that to me as well, so it wasn't just something I noticed.
Perhaps it has something to do with the hilly terrain or average height of the typical buyer.

*giggles out loud to self*

Steve Hampsten
10-22-2007, 11:39 PM
*giggles out loud to self*

Swooooop...don't make me get all medieval on yo' ***...

Cary Ford
10-23-2007, 12:56 AM
The last time I saw a Serotta in the LA area, I was riding it.

That was in 1998.

kerrycycle
10-23-2007, 01:03 AM
I've moved to OC 3 months ago. I typically ride with different crews of racers and I have the only Serotta in the pack. In fact, I see few other bikes of Serotta's stature. I've only seen a couple of other Serottas, no IF, and only one Parlee. The vast majority of bikes seem be Trek & Specialized.
Maybe its the crowd I ride with. :beer:

davyt
10-23-2007, 03:18 AM
I wonder how the quality of the Serotta dealers in an area affects this ratio?
Probably a LOT!

As much as the quantity of Serotta dealers, I would imagine.

Although I don't live in the Bay Area of the OP, I do live in a Bay Area and I rarely see Serottas on the road and I think I can attribute that to the fact that there are no Serotta dealers in Santa Cruz county.

Climb01742
10-23-2007, 05:01 AM
the other thing i've noticed is_which_serottas i see. almost all are legends or older steel models with quill stems. all looked like dedicated, long-term riders.

i've met only one rider out on the road riding an ottrott and as we talked, he had never heard of any european bike makers or smaller american builders. his ottrott was blinged out. sadly, he seemed like a rolling cliche of a well to do, older guy who just wanted the (at the time) most expensive bike in the shop and had a condescending attitude toward any bikes he hadn't heard of.

to balance things... lately i've seen this one guy out a lot lately on the roads near my house. he's out in all weathers, riding early in the AM. i ride far and wide, and i see him far and wide. he's tall and lean. and he rides a specialized. some serious dudes ride mass-market bikes.

davids
10-23-2007, 08:59 AM
to balance things... lately i've seen this one guy out a lot lately on the roads near my house. he's out in all weathers, riding early in the AM. i ride far and wide, and i see him far and wide. he's tall and lean. and he rides a specialized. some serious dudes ride mass-market bikes.
I was trying to make a similar point here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=409178&postcount=10). We're all way out on the pointy end of the bell curve here. Most people, even most serious cyclists, don't care about the equipment as much as we do. And that's fine.

Buzz
10-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Lots of them here in SF Eastbay. Of course, there are all sorts of rides out here. I even see the occasional Hampsten :)