PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Shimano D/A 7703 left shifter

sam.g
10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the rebuild or repair a sticky 9 speed Dura Ace 7703 (triple) left STI shifter. I've been having trouble all summer feathering the left shifter and lubricaton has only been moderately successful. I've heard conflicting advice on the ability to rebuild Shimano STI shifters. Can Shimano STI shifters be repaired or are they like electronics where one just discards and replaces. Not looking for a Campy vs Shimmano debate just advice on repair.

thanks,

Sam in Cincy

regularguy412
10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Try squirting some good ol' water in there with a hand-held sprayer. The right shifter on my TG had a similar problem. When I purchased it, it had some energy drink gumming up the works. Might take awhile, but keep at it. If and when it seems to be working free, try lubing the cable and housing as well as the place where the shifters pivot to shift up and down. If it doesn't seem to get better, inspect the entire length of cable -- especially that which is inside the housing. One stray broken strand of cable can cause a lot of drag inside there.

Mike in AR