PDA

View Full Version : How many own more than one of the same type of bike?

scottcw
07-17-2004, 10:16 PM
In other words, more than one road bike or mountain bike or cyclocross bike, etc.

Tom Robison
07-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Used to own an Atlanta and a Legend at the same time. Liked the Atlanta. Liked the Legend better. I considered the Atlanta my commuter bike but decided I would treat myself and ride the Legend all the time. No regrets.

Tom

SPOKE
07-17-2004, 10:59 PM
i must be sick :(
19- road bikes (20 is under construction by e-Richie)
2- Mtn bikes
1- tandem
1- track bike

i really need to get a life............or just ride my bikes a little more :banana:

IXXI
07-17-2004, 11:07 PM
I have 3 road bikes; 2 Serottas (Legend Ti, and steel 7-11 team bike), 1 Pegoretti (Fina).

Waterford, Steelman, Bridgestone round out the other varieties of bikes (with a Vanilla to come late summer.)

Smiley
07-18-2004, 06:41 AM
Keeping it simple ,
Hors Categorie Road bike
Serotta TiMax MTB
Raleigh converted fixie
Co-Mo Tandem
size cycle just for fun

The wife has a :
Legend Ti road bike
Trek MTB comuter
7 bicycles or bike devices at home forces me to construct a garage to accomodate any future bike purchases . The law has been laid down by the misses :banana:

Dr. Doofus
07-18-2004, 07:10 AM
3 road bikes

serotta csi
merckx corsa 0.1
moser pro evo

oldmill
07-18-2004, 07:50 AM
2 roadies (IF CJ and R.Rambouillet) and 2 cyclos (Lemond Poprad and Strnad, a small shop in CT). Am seriously considering on the antbikemike 3-spd creations for later this year.

Bruce K
07-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Road: Serotta Ottrot ST & Serotta Concours
Cross: Cannondale XR800
TT: Cannondale R1000Aero
MTB: Santa Cruz Superlight

BK

Len J
07-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Main road bike, Ottrott ST
Fixie Gunner street dog
Trainer bike Old Lemond Buenos Aires
"Extra" bike" Legend Ti (probably sell this)

Will be ordering a Sachs this fall.

Len

flydhest
07-18-2004, 12:53 PM
nope, all different.

Legend road
Vanilla fixie
(partially built up) Hors Categorie 'cross bike

Dekonick
07-18-2004, 01:50 PM
3 Roadies
Serotta Colorado CR - still loving it
Serotta Hors Categorie - LOVING it
Bianchi Veloce (selling it - pretty much sold)

1 Mtn bike - trek Y-22

indoor equipment at home - Precor elliptical and a computrainer

Future purchase plan : a fixie or a cross

(I am thinking about getting another mtn bike, but was wondering: How well does a cross bike do on mountain trails? For those who live in the area (MD) I live pretty much right next to Paptasco Avalon area, and Mckeldin is only 10 miles away. Are they 'Crossable'? - PM me so the thread doesnt get hijacked)

only reason to get a mtn bike is to ride with friends. I MUCH prefer road.

93legendti
07-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Strong custom 6/4 DB Reynolds Ti
Ottrott
HC Cross
Legend Ti
Trek 5200 OCLV
Trek XO-1
Sligshot folding 650c
Santana Tandem

rnhood
07-18-2004, 02:46 PM
you can only have one 93legendti, which is it going to be?

93legendti
07-18-2004, 03:33 PM
?

dbrk
07-18-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm not counting...but types mean more than "road" for road bikes, so...
*Randonneur/Audax are not really "road bikes" in the sense of fender-free crypto-racers...they are a whole 'nother beast such (Singer/Herse/Berthoud/Mariposa),
*Cyclotourist with full carriers (panniers on the front, please, Singer)
*650B is its own category and the most all-arounder of all bikes (Mariposa/Singer/Herse/incoming RivSaluki!)
then,
1 mtn bike (Rivendell rigid fork, not more than 50 of these were made and a darn shame...)
2 or 3 'Cross (Oswald/AlcyonMariposa/ IF that is now very newpainted pink...)
Some Road bikes, but I divide these into sub-categories because it's how I pick the ride of the day:
*Contemporary (On the bar shifting/STI/Ergo, carbon forks, not lugged, made of steel, alu, or ti, e.g., Serotta Legend/DKS/Hampston Z1/StradaBianca/IFCJ/SevenOdo/Peg, etc.)
*Contemporary Classics (lugged, steel forks, STI/Ergo or dt indexed, RS/Riv/Masi/Mariposa/Cooper/SerottaCSi/Atlanta/Bstones/MXLeader, etc.)
*Modern Classics (lugged or filet brazed steel, steel forks, friction shifting, like some of the Rivs/Mercian/Bstone)
*Traditional Racers ('84 Sachs SuperRecord/'72 Mondia Special
NR, etc.)

Notably absent are tandems. I hope someday to have two: one in 650B for me and my pal, yes, Sacha!! And one for me and my mrs from Mr Kirk...

Gosh, I love bicycles.

dbrk

weisan
07-18-2004, 08:20 PM
dbrk, stop before it's too late!

It's a ploy.

Now, make sure you have armed guards deploy around the house 24/7.

dbrk
07-18-2004, 08:30 PM
If the theives can _find_ the house, well, that would be somethin'...and then there is Mira the Silkenwindhound who will lick them to death and pee on their shoes submissively if they try to mess with the bikes...yeah, she's a real terror.

Today I saw this BIG OL' dog, looked like a part Rottie, start to bolt towards me when I came into his view at the top of a hill; he races towards me and boing!! there is a leash holding him back as he barks, snarls, and does other dog-ish things to a lonely cyclist who is well out into the road...At least the owner had the courtesy to have him tied up! The other alternative is a herd of buffalo. There are two nearby the house and I hope we pass them on one of the TdFL rides: quite stunning, to say nothing of the large presence and tendency to grunt at you (N.B. Kevan, they are just past the Scottish Highland cattle we saw last year...the place where we took your picture with...uhh...Sandy...or was that? hmmm...)

Better still, folks should come and try on a bike a two on a ride.

dbrk

Bruce H.
07-18-2004, 08:47 PM
I am not totally addicted so..

2 road bikes..Serotta steel Rapid Tour and Bianchi Neuvo Racing
1 Hybrid that I hate and won't ride..Cannondale Silk Path 1000
Tunturi Pro Ergometer
Kreitler Rollers with fan for winter(does this count?????)
Bruce H.

FierteTi52
07-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Road Bikes:
2004 Serotta Ottrott ST
2003 Serotta Fierte Ti
1991 Serotta NHX

Cross Bike:
KHS CX100 soft tail

Mountain Bikes:
1996 Trek Y 22
1988 Specialized Stump Jumper

Bikes I sold:
2001 Cannondale R 4000SI
2002 fuji track Bike

djg
07-18-2004, 11:35 PM
same type. The bikes are pretty different (Colnago CT1 and Serotta CSi), but they're both road bikes.

Just one mtb.

Dekonick
07-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Dbrk - sounds more like a shop inventory than a personal collection!

I wish I could have a collection as yours... mmmm where do you live again?

Heh - seriously - thats one heck of a nice selection of 2 wheeled friends to play with!

terry
07-19-2004, 10:54 AM
down to three:
road:
legend ti
peter mooney-531/columbus sp mix-NR/SR mix
mtb:
seven sola ti

Serotta PETE
07-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Legend ST - - - - -
CRT

my2cents
07-19-2004, 11:29 AM
ottrott st = road
fisher zigeraut (sp?) = hard tail mtb

have always only had 1 bike at a time, even when racing cat 2 years and years ago. The ottrott goes on the trainer in the winter, and has the child trailer hanger in the rear dropout/quickrelease so that on those days that the boys (1 and 3) want to do 20 miles with dad, I'm all set to go!

Never have and never will understand spoke, dbrk, and the other 'collectors on the board (but then again, financially, it is a decision I don't seem destined to have to face!).

BikerGrl
07-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Pale in comparison to some, but:
3 Road
1 Litepeed mtn bke
3 trainers/1 Computrainer
Kreitler rollers
(not bikes but anyway...)

ejh
07-19-2004, 09:36 PM
I have 3 road bikes, and 2 mountain bikes.

ejh

Dekonick
07-19-2004, 10:53 PM
2 road bikes sounds like a good number (minimum) to have if you have the $$-
1 on trainer, 1 to take out. It would be nice to have the choice to take a different bike out for every day in the month though...wouldnt that be just really cool?

I can totally understand the collectors - as long as they are ridden (and they are from what everyone posts) then they are happy bikes! Much better to be in Dbrk's collection than to hang from the ceiling in a bike shop wishing to be ridden one last time... :p

Do trainers count? I think they do. :banana:

addendum - Ejh - are you in Loveland Co as in the entrance to estes park? or loveland Co as in the freaky mountain pass with a ski resort?

Man, I wanna take my bike to Aspen and ride from Ashcroft to Aspen in early fall... Ill bet its breathtaking.

Estes park looks like it would be one HELL of a climb and one HELL of a descent - no matter which way you go! I think you would find me in a Bar in Boulder hanging with Jan eating pasta and drinking beer... wishing I could hang with all of you Colorado Cyclists!

Man I love Colorado. What a great state. :bike:

CIII_bill
07-19-2004, 11:03 PM
2 road bikes
1993 Klein Quantum II
2003 Serotta Colorado III

1 mtn. bike
1992 Klein Pinnacle

dave thompson
07-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Down to two..the best of the best.

Ottrott
Kirk Terraplane

Dekonick
07-20-2004, 11:43 AM
need to get one more - a Sachs to complete the set.

dave thompson
07-20-2004, 11:58 AM
need to get one more - a Sachs to complete the set.
I'm old. I probably wouldn't live long enough to get it.

pbbob
07-20-2004, 12:40 PM
2 lugged steel by john hollands, one foco the other el/os
can o ale 3.0 and 2.8
merkx corsa extra converted into a cyclocross machine
79 serotta time trial machine used as fixed/single speed
burley mt. bike type tandem

Dekonick
07-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Is John Hollands still making bikes in Baltimore? I have never seen one of his machines. I hear they are nice!

JackL
07-20-2004, 02:23 PM
All road bikes:

#1: IF steel Crown Jewel - gets 80% of my riding time
#2: Ebisu All-Purpose - kinda like a Japanese Waterford RSE; my rain bike.
#3: Late 80's de Rosa
#4: Mid 80's Dave Moulton Fuso

Jack

Climb01742
07-20-2004, 02:38 PM
all road, some built-up, some just frames awaiting a destiny:

2 serotta
4 pegoretti
1 IF
1 merckx
2 kirks
1 litespeed
1 look
1 sachs (ordered last year, seen next year?)

Jack Brunk
07-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Road:

4 Serottas, Ottrott ST, Concours, CSI and Coeur d'Acier
1 Kirk Compact
1 Seven Alta
4 Colnagos, C-40, Master X Lite, Super and Master
1 De Rosa Classic steel
1 Eisentraut Limited
1 Richard Sachs on order

Mountain:

2 Sevens, Duo full suspension and a Teres softail
1 Team Fat Chance steel hardtail MTB

Jack

OldDog
07-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Road
'70 Schwinn World Voyaguer (1st decent bike)
'72 Schwinn Paramount P-15
'80 De Rosa Pro
'88 50th Schwinn Paramount (std, not the Black/Gold)
'88 Schwinn Circut (mounted on trainer)
'95 Spectrum Ti
'01 Ritchie Sachs

Had a Serotta Atlanta, crashed and burned. Nearly had a Colnago MXL, sent it back for poor workmanship and did not wish a replacement.

Mtn
Specialized Stumpjumper Pro ('90ish)

Cannondale RT3000 road tandem

Road bikes I keep, as they have always been the passion. Others come and go. I ride all of them. Sachs is my favorite, then the Spectrum. All are neat, except the circut, never really cared for the ride, thus it's now a sweat rusted trainer bike, though my patiance for trainers/rollers has wained a bit. (excuse me whilist I grab a beer and a sausage) :beer:

(I'm back)

May one day venture into carbon, but these days I don't lean too much towards an all out balls to the wall racer. I do lust an updated Spectrum Ti, maybe done audax style?

:bike:

pbbob
07-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Is John Hollands still making bikes in Baltimore? I have never seen one of his machines. I hear they are nice!
semi-retired. I think he is more interested in building the carbon fiber kit frames nowadays. haven't seen him since dec.