PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences in Cannondale Tandem Models??

jrisles
07-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi Guys

Some of you may remember my previous posting on Tandems and i am still on a search for a great value second hand tandem. As stated in my previous post - the tandem market is not catered for here in Australia.

I have found this tandem for sale on ebay and it "appears" to be a very well looked after tandem.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3689087664&sspagename=LanguageToggle&translate=no

Now what i am trying to uncover is what are the major differences between Cannondale Tandem models?? Apart from the componentry used on the different models what about the frame material and construction?? Have they remained relatively the same over the years?? For instance this C'Dale RT2000 model which was built in 2000, is the frame the same (or almost identical) than say today's C'Dale RT1000 model (which is their only road model available).

And am i right in stating that C'dales 2003 RT3000 tandem is much better than their 2004 RT1000 model?? It seems a bit odd that in 2003 you could purchase EITHER an RT1000 OR an RT3000 but today they only offer the RT1000 model.

Your opinions as always would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Jeff
Brisbane, Australia

Jeff N.
07-18-2004, 04:30 PM
They're pretty much the same, frame-wise. They just differ in componentry. The RT-1000 has mostly 105 components, while the RT-3000 has Ultegra, and maybe a few other tweaks here and there. My RT-1000 was a bargain at right around Two Grand. I can highly recommend it. Jeff N.

DfCas
07-18-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure of the exact year-maybe beginning in ~ 2001,the frames came with mounts for disc brakes.The current bikes come with a wonderful disc brake setup and a pretty nice parts group for around $2300-$2400 US dollars.

For 2004,they have only one road model and one mountain,unlike earlier years when they had 2 models with a different parts kit.

As far as I know,the frames/forks have always been the same.The model #'s just indicated color and parts kits.

Dan C.

jrisles
07-18-2004, 07:09 PM
It looks like the NEW 2004 model now comes standard with Ultegra and disc brakes. And it also looks like that the new 2004 RT1000 comes stocked with a new type of fork - called a "Fatty Fork".

So apart from the componentry the only REAL differences of the frames are the colours that were available during that particular year of production? Everything else is the same. And from the word same i mean this to be since C'dale started producing their CAAD frames.

cheers
Jeff

Brisbane, Australia :)