PDA

View Full Version : Carbon wheels at a reasonable price

Mud
10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
and a pop for Ergott.

Sometime back I posted a thread that was critical of the Chrono rims I was riding. Very light but felt flexy when I climbed. Just my feeling which does not have to do with anyone else's reality.

I wanted an everyday set of wheels. I only have one bike (actually 2 buy the SS stays on the trainer) so I opted for Nimble Flys laced to my Tune hubs with flat spokes. They weighed in at 1250 grams which is just a hair under what the Chronos weighed with the same set-up.

I used Conti Sprinters on these also since that is what I use on the set I have been riding which are Sun rims laced to AC hubs. The Flys are about 50 grams per rim lighter.

To be honest I did not notice much difference in climbing. I climb slowly but reasonably well, but going DH was much nicer since the carbon rim seems to mute a lot more vibration, and it is much quieter on the flats.

Let me reiterate that I run the same tires at the same pressures so it is as fair a comparison as I can make.

About 8 miles from home we met up with our neighbor who rides for the Navigators so we chose a route going back that involved a 2 miles climb. We had to speed up and Tim slows down for us so we meet at about 15-17mph on the flats. Even with a stiff wind in our faces I had no trouble holding speed with the new wheels. I was impressed.

The climb went well and the DH to the house was great, plenty of speed (for me) and a very solid feel. On an earlier DH the change in surfaces, which can be hairy, was soaked up nicely.

All in all, not too shabby a day. :banana: