PDA

View Full Version : all that talk about stem length...

eddief
07-17-2004, 07:07 PM
If the goal is the best handling and steeering, do you adjust stem length for riding on top of the hoods, on the tops of the bars or down in the drops? Seems as if the place where one is most comfortable and spends the most time would affect selection of stem length too.

In which of the three mentioned positions do you actually spend the most time? I think I'm probably an almost equal divide between hoods and bar tops with a tiny percentage in the drops.

Hard Fit
07-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Here's my suggestion. First, start riding in the drops more often for a couple of years. As your flexibility and back strength improve, start lowering your handlebars by removing spacers. When you get to the point where you want to lower your handlebars even more, but you've run out of spacers; go out and buy a new frame built for racing where you to jack up the seat as much as possible over the handlebars. At this point, you will need to lengthen your stem to get a good reach over the top of the bike.

Smiley
07-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Eddie , there is no excuse with not finding just the correct position. There are three different bar drops that you should find a good comprimise in a handle bar that makes for a comfortable ride in the drops even if it was for 20 % of your riding time. Since I tend to fit more weekend warrior type of clients I will make sure their fit is most comfortable on the brake hoods. Most often I can find a short reach handle bar that will do the trick for all three positions. Check out www.salsacycles.com as an example of their Pro Bar , Short and Shallow bar and Poco bar to see how you can find a very good in between handlebar. I ride a Ritchey Classic short drop bar , that is a 8.2 reach by 13 cm drop and now I ride in the drops alot more then I ever did.