PDA

View Full Version : NY, Say Goodbye To Joe...

RIHans
10-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Mr. Class Act...

After Joe, Huh???

Yankee fans, recover, and who is next? Donnie Baseball, Jolting Joe Girardio, and WHO?

Could be a coach.

Sound off.
Hans

Ray
10-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Mr. Class Act...

After Joe, Huh???

Yankee fans, recover, and who is next? Donnie Baseball, Jolting Joe Girardio, and WHO?

Could be a coach.

Sound off.
Hans
I'm glad to see him go. Y'see, I've NEVER liked the Yanks. LOVE to see them lose. The more excruciating, the better. Never better than when the Bosox came back from down 3 zip. Or Arizona beating them in the 01 World Series.

But I always liked Torre. As you said a real class act. Which made it harder to enjoy watching them lose. Now that he's going off to greener pastures, I can go full out in my Yankee hatred. A much more pure experience.

He'll land on his feet. Unfortunately, so will the team, probably.

-Ray

A.L.Breguet
10-20-2007, 05:06 AM
After turning down their "offer", I think it would be cool if he went off and worked with college teams, or even little league.
That would be a major FU to Yankees management.
Are the Mets hiring?

GONE4ARIDE
10-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Willie Randolph?

ClutchCargo
10-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Don Zimmer ! . . . or, Yogi ! :D :D :D :D
well, it will be fun to see what they do . . .
good luck to them (ha!)

Kevan
10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
management meetings weren't exactly pleasant this past season?

Adda boy, Joe!

"An insult" is quite the remark after such a long and successful career.

regularguy412
10-20-2007, 09:37 AM
I dunno about NY's new prospects, but I could see Joe heading back to STL. He could be LaRussa's replacement, if Tony wants out, or he could replace Walt Jockety as GM. In fact, the GM job at STL seems tailor-made for him at this point.

Mike in AR

saab2000
10-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight (edit - maybe a bad analogy....), but like watching baseball. As a kid I also found the Yankees crass and distasteful at best.

Joe Torre seemed to make it possible to dislike them less.

I am a Twins fan. They won two World Series during my time in school there and between stints living in Europe.

It was exciting baseball and I lived about 2 miles from the Dome.

goonster
10-20-2007, 10:18 AM
I've NEVER liked the Yanks.

But I always liked Torre.

+1

Dave B
10-20-2007, 01:00 PM
The Yankees and everything they have become are terrible and a detriment to society.

The Red Sox are what baseball should be..I feel that in every inch of my body.

However. Joe is the true definition of a manager. Keeping all those ego maniacs in line and having to deal with the devil incarnate for a boss takes character I could only dream of. I hope he manages another team that kicks the Yankee's arse in every game they play. I hope the players who can leave do and somehow follow him. It would show those morons what loyalty is.

I also would love to see them implode, but I suppose that is another thread! :D

Joe is what every manager should strive to be...Class and determination.

ergott
10-20-2007, 01:44 PM
The Yankees and everything they have become are terrible and a detriment to society.

However. Joe is the true definition of a manager. Keeping all those ego maniacs in line and having to deal with the devil incarnate for a boss takes character I could only dream of. I hope he manages another team that kicks the Yankee's arse in every game they play. I hope the players who can leave do and somehow follow him. It would show those morons what loyalty is.

I also would love to see them implode, but I suppose that is another thread! :D

Joe is what every manager should strive to be...Class and determination.

Sorry, but what about those two beeotches Manny and Crisp are what baseball should be about? If Manny actually put forth some effort every so often and dumped that showboating he probably could be one of the best ever. No, Boston lets him act like a piece of crap on the field and jogging the bases like he owns the place. Boston should be keeping guys like him in check. A-Rod chokes and lacks the clutch, but not for a lack of trying. What do you have against the rest of the boys in stripes? How the hell are they a detriment to soc? What are the Yanks guilty of that Boston can't be accused of?

Coco has a bad temper and you can easily let his own head get in his way. They let Damon go and deserve Crisp. He's minor league material at best.

Most of them look like dirt-bags with uniforms that don't fit and is there a rule against a clean shave over there? Come on, I wouldn't exactly call all the Sox "role models" for society.

Pappy is good stuff and hard not to like (easy on the spitting though)

stevep
10-20-2007, 01:45 PM
badly handled.
they should have sat with the man face to face and asked him how he would like to end the thing.
let him resign on his own terms, instead they twisted him for a week and then offered him something they knew he would reject.
2nd rate treatment.
they should retire his jersey and hang it in the stadium.

Grant McLean
10-20-2007, 03:22 PM
badly handled.
they should have sat with the man face to face and asked him how he would like to end the thing.

googlefight!!

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=torre&word2=steinbrenner

-g

Dave B
10-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Sorry, but what about those two beeotches Manny and Crisp are what baseball should be about? If Manny actually put forth some effort every so often and dumped that showboating he probably could be one of the best ever. No, Boston lets him act like a piece of crap on the field and jogging the bases like he owns the place. Boston should be keeping guys like him in check. A-Rod chokes and lacks the clutch, but not for a lack of trying. What do you have against the rest of the boys in stripes? How the hell are they a detriment to soc? What are the Yanks guilty of that Boston can't be accused of?

Coco has a bad temper and you can easily let his own head get in his way. They let Damon go and deserve Crisp. He's minor league material at best.

Most of them look like dirt-bags with uniforms that don't fit and is there a rule against a clean shave over there? Come on, I wouldn't exactly call all the Sox "role models" for society.

Yeah Crisp leaves much to admire...Manny, well he is an odd duck, but he can change a game very easily...usually for the better.

Damon????? I am sorry did he do something great this season besides be hurt?

I was thinking about
Schilling
Ellsbery
Padroia
Lowell
Big P

etc.

Their uni's don't fit and they need a shave...is that what matters? :D

How about the A-sexual yankees minus Jeter. It is like they are assigned a personality when they sign a contract. I sure hope their brand new stadium helps them win more games.

But hey at least their uni's and faces are clean. :banana:

soulspinner
10-20-2007, 03:41 PM
badly handled.
let him resign on his own terms, instead they twisted him for a week and then offered him something they knew he would reject.
2nd rate treatment.

+1- Only hope someday Steinbrenner really knows the feeling of not being allowed to save face...

ergott
10-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah Crisp leaves much to admire...Manny, well he is an odd duck, but he can change a game very easily...usually for the better.

Damon????? I am sorry did he do something great this season besides be hurt?

I was thinking about
Schilling
Ellsbery
Padroia
Lowell
Big P

etc.

Their uni's don't fit and they need a shave...is that what matters? :D

How about the A-sexual yankees minus Jeter. It is like they are assigned a personality when they sign a contract. I sure hope their brand new stadium helps them win more games.

But hey at least their uni's and faces are clean. :banana:

I don't know, I'm simply responding to the charge that the Yanks are a detriment to soc. and Bosox are what's good in this world. Shilling is a good pitcher, but he's got a nasty streak as well.

What's wrong with Melk, Cano, Joba, Hughes, Kennedy? What personalities were they given to assume? They play baseball, no?

stevep
10-20-2007, 04:09 PM
yankees- adolph hitler
red sox- mother theresa

Dave B
10-20-2007, 04:56 PM
yankees- adolph hitler
red sox- mother theresa

That just happened!

Mike Honcho

RIHans
10-21-2007, 01:20 AM

The worst part is the red hot rooks are straight out of Rhode Island, Pawsox!

Ergott is a BASEBALL fan...As I. Go Yanks!
Hans

RIHans
10-21-2007, 01:43 AM
yankees- adolph hitler
red sox- mother theresa

I want to respond on so many vulgar ways. Think REALLY DIRTY!
But, it's a game. See ya' next spring. ;)

slowgoing
10-21-2007, 01:58 AM

comments like that are what turned me into a Yankees fan.

RIHans
10-21-2007, 02:01 AM
[I can go full out in my Yankee hatred. A much more pure experience.

He'll land on his feet. Unfortunately, so will the team, probably.

-Ray[/QUOTE]

OMG Ray,

Did Jeter insult your sister??

Kiddin'
RIHans

Ray
10-21-2007, 05:01 AM
OMG Ray,

Did Jeter insult your sister??

I'd never pretend that any of those feelings are rational - that's not what being a sports fan is about. I has more to do with the dominant city in the country having the most money to buy talent and buying LOADS of talent and being so good for so long that you just want to see 'em lose. I respect 'em, but I hate 'em. There have been plenty of individual Yankees I've liked. But the team or organization? NEVER. I'm confident of that because if 9/11 wasn't enough to have me pulling for them in '01, I don't think anything will.

Everyone loves an underdog. And, similarly, everyone hates the dominant teams except those with a very specific reason to like 'em, like living there. I couldn't stand the Cowboys when they were "America's Team" either. Now I just hate 'em because I live in Philly and it's a requirement of citizenship.

I liked the Red Sox for a long time when they were underdogs. Now that they're getting dominant, not so much. I'm pulling for Cleveland to pull this out but I'm not betting on 'em. And I'll be pulling for the Rockies in the Series, more strongly if the Sox get in than the Indians.

And not a moment's thought goes into ANY of this until I try to explain it, like now. It's all just visceral feelings that I don't have any control over.

-Ray

stevep
10-21-2007, 07:47 AM
comments like that are what turned me into a Yankees fan.

the yankees have left the building.
right now calling around for golf partners.
"hey, what you doing today? tomorrow? next day?"

manet
10-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Don Zimmer !

call 911... W E E B L E D O W N ! W E E B L E D O W N !

quattro
10-21-2007, 08:35 PM
yankees- adolph hitler
red sox- mother theresa
Stevep, posting that name about anyone is about as low as a perosn can go, I have to say I am disappointed in you. It is totally unneccessary and uncalled for, I don't care who you are referring to.

quattro
10-21-2007, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=Mr.President]The Yankees and everything they have become are terrible and a detriment to society.

QUOTE]
What the hell are you talking about....the Yankees are a detriment to society....the Red Sox are what baseball should be....you make me sick!

rounder
10-21-2007, 08:47 PM
badly handled.
2nd rate treatment.

Yeah...that's what I thought. The guy helped take them to the playoffs 12 straight years and win the world series four times. The manager doesn't hit or strike out the sides. He can only try to make good decisions and motivate the team...which he did. The man was as much a great Yankee as any of the Yankees ever in my opinion (and i'm not even a Yankee fan). I thought he deserved more respect than they gave him.

ctric
10-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Joe's managing record before the Yanks = poor.
Can anyone doubt the Yanks contributed to Joe's Series rings as much, if not more, than Joe contributed to the Yanks?
Credit goes to the guy who put the 1996 to 2000 team together (Stick & company)

Joe's report card with the Yanks:
Handling the media and Yankee mgm't.= A
Field managing = C-

As to Stevep = a big Zero with an F for no class.

RIHans
10-22-2007, 12:15 AM
I was pulling that maybe, Joe would get one more chance. The changing of the guard
in Tampa...Things may get really crazy now.

If I was the Boss, Joe would have been gone in '04. Bitter taste, to lay down like that.

I don't feel bad for Joe...Sweet job for a Wall St. firm as a "Personal Coach" or
"Feature Speaker"...

He'll do well...Why bang your head into the wall at 67?

Joe Torre Fan,
Hans

MilanoTom
10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
The worst part is the red hot rooks are straight out of Rhode Island, Pawsox!

Ergott is a BASEBALL fan...As I. Go Yanks!
Hans

Ain't nothing wrong with Pawtucket (and from '66 to '67, it was the Pawtucket INDIANS - go figure).

By the way, one of the Rockies went to high school in Pawtucket (even though their website says it's in Providence...). He didn't see action in the playoffs, and I don't know if he's on their World Series roster.

Regards.
Tom