PDA

View Full Version : look 595 ultra - ultra for how long?

fstrthnu
10-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Thank You Jack Brunk. I think I have finally found "it".

Who knows what the fatigue life is on these things?

DarrenCT
10-19-2007, 08:31 PM
JS,

eh man! hope all is well. good luck with the cross races coming up. don't forget about that rs frameset :)

Jack Brunk
10-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Did something happen? It should be ultra for a long time.

Bobbo
10-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Please elaborate? Warranty is five years, no?

Jack Brunk
10-19-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm thinking he really likes it but is wondering how long it will last. At least I hope that it.

swoop
10-20-2007, 12:02 AM
i've had big strong friends on em since they came out and they're still like new. so.... i hear great things about them.

Your_Friend!
10-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Thank You Jack Brunk. I think I have finally found "it".

Who knows what the fatigue life is on these things?

Fstrthnu!

How Long?

Until The Release!

Of The Model With

The Integrated

Seatpost _And_ Saddle!

Love,
Your_Friend!

cs124
10-20-2007, 12:23 AM
... i hear great things about them.

so do i...

...but i've seen 5 of these 595s develop cracks at the top of the seat mast. hey, it's probably nothing... :rolleyes:

Dave
10-20-2007, 08:12 AM
so do i...

...but i've seen 5 of these 595s develop cracks at the top of the seat mast. hey, it's probably nothing... :rolleyes:

The cracks occur along the seams where the two halves of the molds are joined. LOOK has revised the molds to change the oreintation of the seams and supposedly cured the problem.

fstrthnu
10-20-2007, 08:47 AM
To clarify; I love the way the Look rides and am curious as to how long it will keep it's stiffness.

I know some carbon frames "flex out".

csm
10-20-2007, 08:51 AM
carbon frames flex out? how could that be? I would think that like every other carbon part, they either hold together or they don't.

e-RICHIE
10-20-2007, 08:58 AM
ñîôò ïèøñîôò ïèøèòñîôò ïèøèòå íà å-ìåéë
å íà å-ìåéëèòå íà å-ìåñîôò ïèøèòå íà å-ìå
éëéëñîôò ïèøèòå íà å-ìå 'cross effin rules
éëñîôò ïèøèòå íà å-ìåéë atmo.

csm
10-20-2007, 08:59 AM
e-richie, is that engineer-speak for ride steel?

e-RICHIE
10-20-2007, 09:00 AM
we are severely agitated after what was supposed
to be a simple commute to wilmington turned out
to take eleven hours atmo. spinelli just listed his
two cross bikes on ebay.

fstrthnu
10-20-2007, 09:03 AM
They do. Some sooner than others. My Calfee's and Colnago's for example kept their resiliency very well, other frames did not.

carbon frames flex out? how could that be? I would think that like every other carbon part, they either hold together or they don't.

Fixed
10-20-2007, 09:06 AM
erichie = cross bikes

stevep
10-20-2007, 01:53 PM
we are severely agitated after what was supposed
to be a simple commute to wilmington turned out
to take eleven hours atmo. spinelli just listed his
two cross bikes on ebay.

spinelli better beat dugan for you to get back into the black.
if nothing changes ill own yr shop by the end of the cross season...

dont worry everyone... my wait list will be 1 1/2 weeks.

nicrump
10-20-2007, 07:20 PM
They do. Some sooner than others. My Calfee's and Colnago's for example kept their resiliency very well, other frames did not.

can you be more scientific, specific or at least tell us what you are talking about?

fstrthnu
10-21-2007, 07:54 AM
can you be more scientific, specific or at least tell us what you are talking about?

Nic. I don't have the means to bring "science" into this. It's a feel thing. I have flexed carbon frames out in the past... they become whips.

My Calfee Tetra Pro remained solid through it's tenure (mostly used in training) as did my Colnago C40 race bike (Navigators 03).

All I have for science is this:

Rider Weight: 145-150 pounds
Average Watts on a 4-5 hour training ride over rolling terain: 240ish (at peak form)
Average Watts in a RR: 300+
Watts at Threshold: apx...375- 400 sustained on the flats @ 90rpm and 425-450 sustained on climbs @80-90rpm.
Max Power:1100-1300 watts
VAT: 1600
Crank Length: 175mm
Saddle Height: 75cm
Setback: 8.1cm

Again... these are peak fitness numbers.

Between my trainer's data and my measuring tape that is perhaps enough decent info for you to form a Baseline. fwiw.

Can you measure/predict fatigue life with this type of info?

e-RICHIE
10-21-2007, 08:07 AM
get the Look At Me, it's better (http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Look+595&word2=Look+At+Me) atmo.

Louis
10-21-2007, 11:27 AM

Justin,

The frame manufacturer should be able to, (at least the big ones with an engineering staff) because they presumably have all the geometry and material layup properties of the frame, but we can't. The info you provided would allow someone to figure out what forces are being applied to the frame by the rider, but not the actual stresses in the frame. You need lots of detailed frame data for that in order to create a model (FEM or otherwise).

Once you have the stresses and some assumptions / data about how often they are being applied, and if you have the fatigue properties of the materials used, only then can you get a life prediction.

Louis

nicrump
10-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Nic. I don't have the means to bring "science" into this. It's a feel thing. I have flexed carbon frames out in the past... they become whips.

My Calfee Tetra Pro remained solid through it's tenure (mostly used in training) as did my Colnago C40 race bike (Navigators 03).

All I have for science is this:

Rider Weight: 145-150 pounds
Average Watts on a 4-5 hour training ride over rolling terain: 240ish (at peak form)
Average Watts in a RR: 300+
Watts at Threshold: apx...375- 400 sustained on the flats @ 90rpm and 425-450 sustained on climbs @80-90rpm.
Max Power:1100-1300 watts
VAT: 1600
Crank Length: 175mm
Saddle Height: 75cm
Setback: 8.1cm

Again... these are peak fitness numbers.

Between my trainer's data and my measuring tape that is perhaps enough decent info for you to form a Baseline. fwiw.

look at carbon/epoxy laminates in general. the way we use them, in bicycles, they should not “flex out” if good materials and process were used.. If so, Boeing has made a terrible multi billion dollar mistake on the new dreamliner(yes, i know is not bicycle). if you are suggesting the epoxy is softening then i would run screaming and never ride the thing again. its going to explode any minute. but seriously, laminating epoxies of good quality need to be put through some extremes to go bad and I just don’t think we do that in bicycles.

now consider the bike frame itself, how was it assembled. so my question is what frames do you feel “flexed out”? I don’t want to start a this frame and that frame is crap thread so feel free to PM if you like.

There are some bike out there with bucu really fat glue lines and in any given vintage, who knows what glue was used.. There monocoque bikes with mixed materials and questionable matrixes.

i suspect a high quality tube to tube bike ala calfee and the likes would not do this.

what i will predict from those numbers is that you are 5'10.5" or so and have a long femur and probably wear a 45 to 46 shoe. your reach is 55.5cm and your bar drop is 7cm. how close was i? I will throw in 47yo for kicks.

nicrump
10-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Justin,

The frame manufacturer should be able to, (at least the big ones with an engineering staff) because they presumably have all the geometry and material layup properties of the frame, but we can't. The info you provided would allow someone to figure out what forces are being applied to the frame by the rider, but not the actual stresses in the frame. You need lots of detailed frame data for that in order to create a model (FEM or otherwise).

Once you have the stresses and some assumptions / data about how often they are being applied, and if you have the fatigue properties of the materials used, only then can you get a life prediction.

Louis

FEA in composites is still majorly perplexing the big boys in aero space and beyond. materials based FEA in composite bicycles even to guys like trek is almost all assumption.

fstrthnu
10-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Thank You Nic.

I am a hair under 6ft.
44 Shoe in Shimano sizing.
Reach 59 from tip of saddle to center of hb.
A ton of drop. On the tame side of Jerkesque.

what i will predict from those numbers is that you are 5'10.5" or so and have a long femur and probably wear a 45 to 46 shoe. your reach is 55.5cm and your bar drop is 7cm. how close was i? I will throw in 47yo for kicks.

Fixed
10-21-2007, 04:44 PM
get the Look At Me, it's better (http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Look+595&word2=Look+At+Me) atmo.
http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Look+595&word2=sachs

Fixed
10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
To clarify; I love the way the Look rides and am curious as to how long it will keep it's stiffness.

I know some carbon frames "flex out".
trek's are famous for that imho

rePhil
10-21-2007, 05:15 PM
trek's are famous for that imho

I'm curious as to what you base that comment on?
While I'm not Trek fan, I've known plenty of folks that ride them.I've never heard one comment that their frame was getting flexier

jerk
10-21-2007, 06:05 PM
an opinion based on no proof:

it'll flex out way before a c50 flexes out.

it'll flex out way way after a four asses carbon frame would flex out.

jerk

swoop
10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
lord know's i'm losing stiffness over time.

me thinks we're talking about the cheapo stuff made with too much resin... when the resin is obviously less strong than the carbon and breaks down over time and we're talking about bikes that have fiberglass in the mix (and vinyl. sometimes that cosmetic top layer is vinyl too).

like anything.. there's good and bad stuff. most of us would never know.

sg8357
10-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Steel frames "flex out" too, the usual way to fix them is to send them
out to paint and tell the team they're getting new bikes. (true story)

Of course there is a marketing opportunity here, relabel the 'flexed out"
frames Rene Herses and sell them to people who expect their bikes to plane.

As for the 595u, it is a freakin race bike, you are supposed to replace it every
couple seasons, the 595du will be out in two years, it'll be a quantum
leap beyond the 595u.

Scott G.
Who hasn't been dodging composite airplane parts falling from the sky.

Fat Robert
10-21-2007, 07:43 PM
hey justin

lemme see here

rider height -- 6' 1/2"
rider weight - 170
average watts on a 4-5 hour ride: unknown. I don't ride for more than an hour anyways
watts at threshold -- 340-350
max power -- less than anybody in my category who matters
VAT: I go down hills, not up them
saddle height -- 78.8
setback -- 5.5cm

based on the above data, I'd say send me that thing and I'll tell ya how it rides after a year. You'll get my fuji. Its a deal for you, trust me.

nicrump
10-31-2007, 01:52 PM
FEA in composites is still majorly perplexing the big boys in aero space and beyond. materials based FEA in composite bicycles even to guys like trek is almost all assumption.

Setting the record straight.

The phrase “marjorly perplexing” here was an exaggeration. Boeing is smarter than that. Lets just call is very tricky. My point was I doubt that the bike industry actually performs FEA based on material but rather some general model and shape. But I could be wrong.

fstrthnu
10-31-2007, 01:59 PM
P.S.

Nic,

My drop is 10cm. I know you prob don't care, but you did guess and I never gave you a definitive answer.

Justin

nicrump
10-31-2007, 02:06 PM
P.S.

Nic,

My drop is 10cm. I know you prob don't care, but you did guess and I never gave you a definitive answer.

Justin

mine is also 10cm.

fstrthnu
10-31-2007, 02:08 PM
What size frame do you ride?

nicrump
10-31-2007, 03:32 PM
What size frame do you ride?

my tried and true fit on the latest frame just built. taking it into the paint booth next week.

stevep
10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
hey justin
rider height -- 6' 1/2"
rider weight - 170
average watts on a 4-5 hour ride: unknown. I don't ride for more than an .

industry note.
the fat man rode cardboard cranks for 2 years..worked fine.
they were cut outs from a shimano box. they sold the actual crank to someone else.
he felt they were stiff enough except when he sprinted.
would still be on them except he got caught in the rain one day and they disintegrated.

Fat Robert
10-31-2007, 04:59 PM
industry note.
the fat man rode cardboard cranks for 2 years..worked fine.
they were cut outs from a shimano box. they sold the actual crank to someone else.
he felt they were stiff enough except when he sprinted.
would still be on them except he got caught in the rain one day and they disintegrated.

dude

fixed em with duct tape

soulspinner
10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
my tried and true fit on the latest frame just built. taking it into the paint booth next week.

So a 43 mm fork rake. What kind?

nicrump
10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
So a 43 mm fork rake. What kind?

edge

Jack Brunk
10-31-2007, 09:23 PM
edge
It rocks. A great feeling fork on a great riding frame equals sublime heaven.

soulspinner
11-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Where can one find more info on the Edge fork?

Too Tall
11-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Jayzus Nic, just send your spares to me. That's a perfect fit for da wife. I predict you wear a 38C cup and no mascara...was I close? ;)

I've got to say it makes no sense that carbon bikes...make that intact carbon bikes are softening up over time. Perhaps your standards change but soften up and not fall apart seems unlikely.