PDA

View Full Version : OT--worst movie--Wickerman

jimcav
10-19-2007, 02:32 PM
so last night i could not sleep and watched this movie--the most convoluted rip-off of "spellbound"--i think that was the name, with Travolta's wife i think. Anyway, I don't know any wickens, druids, etc, and i know religion is seldom rational. However, if you buy the whole concept of an ancient sacrificial ritual, can anyone explain how the elaborate plot to mislead the hero/idiot on the island did anything? The priestess made a small speech before they killed him about destiny and him coming willingly. destiny would seem to mean no deception would have been needed. And i don't see how him arriving willingly to the island, and following the false clues made him more willing at the end than beginning--all they had to do was get him to a clearing so they could beat him and stick him in old burning man: anyone could have walked him there right off the seaplane.
Anyway, it struck me pagans get a bad reputation in film, but i know zilch about it really. hope the book "ritual" was better--but the movie was so bad i won't try to find the book. at least in spellbound they made it clear that the sacrifice had to be willing to give his life to save hers (and if he did not then she would be sacrificed)--which facilitated the plot.

deechee
10-19-2007, 02:49 PM
don't you mean its a remake of a 1973 film called... "wickerman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070917/) "? I don't remember any sacrifices or murders during a children's spelling bee (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334405/) competition hahahahahahhahahahahaha.

Sorry. Just had to. Too many "spellbound" movies out there. The Hitchcock one was too weird for me. I barely remember it :P

Ozz
10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
you must mean "worst in the sci-fi/horror genre"....

Worst ever movie, that was really attempting to be a good movie is "Ishtar". (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093278/)

It is the only movie that I could not finish watching...even after taking a nap during the middle of it.....

slowgoing
10-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Agreed as to both Ishtar and Wickerman. Awful.

Jeff N.
10-19-2007, 03:17 PM
See "Frogs" or "Basket Case" for the absolute worst in scare flicks. Jeff N.

jimcav
10-19-2007, 04:43 PM
as an adjective of quality not an absolute quantification as the worst movie ever made or even worst that i've seen. it may not even be the worst nicholas cage movie--i have not seen all his stuff
just really bad.

jimcav
10-19-2007, 04:48 PM
don't you mean its a remake of a 1973 film called... P
i hope to see it someday. thanks for that info
jim

regularguy412
10-19-2007, 06:47 PM
See "Frogs" or "Basket Case" for the absolute worst in scare flicks. Jeff N.

Ray Milland's worst

Neither of the Wickerman movies do justice to the book. There are a lot more sexual references in the text. As I recall, the story is based on true ritual sacrifices held on the British Isles ages ago. *1 for living in the 21st century.

Mike in AR

Dekonick
10-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Thank goodness for mystery science theatre... :beer:

rounder
10-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Waterworld!! Glad I only rented it and didn't pay full price at the Regal.

GoJavs
10-19-2007, 07:57 PM
That Blair Witch Project *****. I had to walk out of the theater. I was so dizzy after 10 minutes of that handheld camera non-sense. Ugh. :butt:

Ozz
10-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Thank goodness for mystery science theatre... :beer:
"Rommel, you magnificent b@stard!" ;)

Elefantino
10-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Exorcist II: The Heretic

Without doubt, all other bad movies vie for runner-up.