PDA

View Full Version : Independent Fabrication - Crown Jewel - feedback?

Clydesdale
10-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Looking seriously at a used CJ with carbon seat stays. The fit is right and I have heard great things, but not been on one. Would anyone who has ridden IF be willing to give an opinion? Thanks

paczki
10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Without carbon seat stays and sold it because it was a little too small. Great, great bike. Loved it.

TweeWielen
10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I ordered a Crown Jewel Factory Lightweight last year and have been delighted so far. I spec'd a pretty laid back geometry with longer chain stays and more BB drop than is normal with them. Bike tracks and descends beautifully ... The fit and finish was pretty tasty as well imho.

I'd probably get a steel fork instead of the alpha q if I was to do it all over again, but thats no reflection on them. Just cant get into the way carbon feels.

wooly
10-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I haven't ridden one but a good friend has a Serotta CDA. He loves it as most do. You should consider it.

Wooly

Bradford
10-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I had a steel CJ and really liked it, sold it when I got my Legend, which I love.

I still have my Independence and it is still a great bike. I say go for it.

DarrenCT
10-19-2007, 08:01 PM
i had 2 of them and loved them. just make sure it fits.

the cda is also a good choice.

is the crown jewel around the same price as the cda??

DonH
10-20-2007, 09:00 AM
I have an all steel Crown Jewel and love it. It was custom built for me in 2004. Handles well and seems to be very well built.

Dan Le foot
10-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I had one built in 2001.
I rode it for a few years. It was OK. Just not inspiring
Recently I picked up a 2005 CDA with a carbon back stay. I found this bike to be far superior to the IF.
In fact, I find the CDA to handle better than my Legend.
Dan

Fixed
10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
bro i'm getting a cda too mine is going to have track ends though
unless it gets stolen it is the last bike i 'll ever buy
cheers

De Vingard
10-21-2007, 03:29 AM
There is too much spam in this Thread! I want pics of the beauties! ;) :D

The CJ is one of my favourites, too!

spiderman
10-23-2007, 01:24 PM
how could you go wrong with a crown jewel...
...beautiful bike,
sweet ride
...maybe i'll have to 'look' for one
in my size...
so, the only question
is to fix or not to fix it, right?

Clydesdale
10-23-2007, 02:11 PM
The only question is how do I explain it to my beautiful but hopelessly practical wife who thinks that all bikes are basically the same and remembers not long ago when I said something along the lines of "this should be the last one for awhile."

Clint

Blue Jays
10-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Clint Clydesdale-

Can you sell something to have more money to put towards the Crown Jewel you're considering? Perhaps if the overall number of bicycles hanging in the basement doesn't increase, it won't be such a shock. ;)

spiderman
10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
The only question is how do I explain it to my beautiful but hopelessly practical wife who thinks that all bikes are basically the same and remembers not long ago when I said something along the lines of "this should be the last one for awhile."

Clint

is that if you figure out
a successful answer to that question...
please let me know
so i might use the same logic
in my next frame acquisition!

Jack Brunk
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Does anybody know of any LBS that actually stock IF on the floor? I've tried to find one but it seems like nobody stocks them for sale.

davids
10-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Does anybody know of any LBS that actually stock IF on the floor? I've tried to find one but it seems like nobody stocks them for sale.
Wheelworks always has some. I've seen them at several other stores, too - In Northampton, MA and Providence, RI. I don't think it's coincidence that at all four of these stores (2 WW locations...) they had catalog models/show bikes.

And as far as the IF CJ TI - A good friend, and one of the strongest riders I know, has ridden his for six years now. He buys a lot of wheels, but no frames. He's got no interest in riding anything else.

Pete Serotta
10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Most of you know what I am going to suggest :D :D :D

Yep, try a CDA. I do not know of anyone that has tried one their size and not REALLY liked it. My nephew and son-in-law have them. Additionally it is the bike that I recommend the most. it is at a good price point for a custom bike.

Ok - - now for some red.......

A tidbit of history = = the 30th anniversary Serotta was basically CDA tubing with the carbon rear. It is a very nice ride. IF you ride a 57cm, stop by Raleigh and try it and a glass of red. (for KENO it will be a few Sierra Nevada's) :beer:

Ken Robb
10-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I rode one a shop had as a demo--it was ok--I guess? I liked my Legend and CSI better.

Blue Jays
10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
One has to definitely enjoy working with the younger folks at Independent Fabrication to make the customer/manufacturer relationship work! :)

MarinRider
10-23-2007, 05:34 PM
In Mill Valley, CA. Come up to the Bay Area and I'll show you some great rides and share some great zins...

SoCalSteve
10-23-2007, 05:41 PM

I.Martin (by the Beverly Center) usually stocks IF's...Give them a call @: 323-653-6900 and ask for Jamie (us the hispanic prononciation).

manet
10-23-2007, 05:47 PM

errrr.... relentless ?!

Jack Brunk
10-23-2007, 07:49 PM
In Mill Valley, CA. Come up to the Bay Area and I'll show you some great rides and share some great zins...
Chin,

I will take you up on that invite. I'll be in touch in a few weeks.

Jack Brunk
10-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I.Martin (by the Beverly Center) usually stocks IF's...Give them a call @: 323-653-6900 and ask for Jamie (us the hispanic prononciation).
Thanks Steve I'll give them call.

Jack Brunk
10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
errrr.... relentless ?!
Your hard on me Manet.

wrestlr
10-23-2007, 08:25 PM
The Crown Jewel is a superb riding frame. I have one in the steel tubing version and not the ti. Plus mine is one of a kind when it comes to paint. :)

maunahaole
10-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Zin your way around Amador County while you are in NorCal - one or two nice Old Vines in those parts.

ericspin
10-24-2007, 05:49 AM
wrestlr, how 'bout some pics? Being an IF guy I would love to see it.

chuckred
10-24-2007, 07:29 AM

Beautiful frames!

Out of your neck of the woods though.

manet
10-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Your hard on me Manet.

i hart certain aspects of your life.

keep doing.

i will continue to suspend disbelief.
don't burst my bubble.

xoxo
manet

ti_boi
10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
"this should be the last one for awhile."

Clint

Man, don't those very same words seem to haunt you?!
She probably didn't really believe you when you said that --

IF make some amazing bikes....of course you will have to explain to your wife that you suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), this rare, but seldom fatal disease afflicts many people.

Symptoms are: the never-ending search for 'nirvana'....bless you son, hope you feel better soon. Take one IF Crown Jewel and call us in the morning.