PDA

View Full Version : ? About selling

1happygirl
10-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Hello, have a question about selling some stuff and Craigslist.
Does anyone have any experience with Craigslist? I don't think there are any charges and I have just about given up on Ebay, especially since these are smaller items and:

a. Craigslist appears to have no fees
b. No shipping as it looks like it is specific to the city I'm in and the buyer can pick it up
c. No bureaucracy and ordeal with paypal or something else

Thanks in advance. By the time I would pay ebay, it wouldn't be worth it.

rwsaunders
10-19-2007, 09:06 AM
CL works for me. It's a great tool.

Sandy
10-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Love your screen name- 1happygirl.

I have a friend who buys and sells a lot on craigslist and ebay. He buys frames or finds them in the trash or whereever and then buys parts and/or uses ones that he already has. He then builds up the bikes and sells them on the local craigslist, probably 5-7 bikes in a year. I think he finds that it works very well, especially since he can do all of this locally and that saves time and allows him and/or the other in the transaction to look at the product very easily if desired.

Sandy

BURCH
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I love craigslist because it so simple to post an item and there is no shipping involved. It is always a local buyer/seller. It is simply an online Penny Saver.

Two cautions though:
1) I have met people to buy/sell stuff and sometimes think, "Wow, this person is pretty scary". So, just make sure that someone is around if you have to meet someone to sell or buy an item. There are some strange cats out there. I usually keep whatever I am selling in the driveway. No need to invite a complete stranger into your house unless the item can't be moved by yourself.

2) There are some scammers out there that will contact you about overpaying for the item for shipping and then having you pay them back the extra or some storry like that. They will even go so far as to send you a fake check. My mother-in-law strung one scammer along to see how far they were willing to take it. They sent the fake check and everything. Anybody offering you more money than you are asking is not good luck, it is a scam.

With that being said...Good luck!

Kevan
10-19-2007, 09:25 AM
no one else seems too interested:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bik/448702170.html

Not sure I'm reaching a sizable audience using Craigslist. Next go around I'll take more (and better) photos. More close ups I think will help. Maybe a lower price too.

gt6267a
10-19-2007, 09:49 AM

Not sure I'm reaching a sizable audience using Craigslist. Next go around I'll take more (and better) photos. More close ups I think will help. Maybe a lower price too.

foam covered bars!!!!!!

sellsworth
10-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Maybe a lower price too.

That's quite the ride! Maybe you should lower the price to free?

Kevan
10-19-2007, 09:52 AM
foam covered bars!!!!!!

an interested customer! did you ever see a finer steed?

BURCH
10-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Kevan,

Now you have to give us the history on this bike...Let's have it now.

Kevan
10-19-2007, 09:55 AM
That's quite the ride! Maybe you should lower the price to free?

Scat! I hear your mother calling yuh.

Did I point out the tires are in great shape, virtually unworn?

gt6267a
10-19-2007, 09:56 AM
an interested customer! did you ever see a finer steed?

no question this thing is bad arse ... of that generation, i am looking for a sled that has the freewheel in the crankset. that way i am able to change gears when coasting, the only way to fly!

Kevan
10-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Kevan,

Now you have to give us the history on this bike...Let's have it now.

No, really...it was! He gave it to me asking me to do with it whatever.

Cross my heart

1happygirl
10-19-2007, 10:03 AM
hahaha on the bike. Thanks everyone. Good tips about the safety issue. I'll try it out. It looks like the hardest part of it IS getting your item to stand out. No fees for photos too, right?!

Kevan
10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
hahaha on the bike. Thanks everyone. Good tips about the safety issue. I'll try it out. It looks like the hardest part of it IS getting your item to stand out. No fees for photos too, right?!

the bike, that is. No charges for postings or photos. The photos are small so take several close ups too. The posting is given 1 week and then dropped by Craig. Thems the rules.

gt6267a
10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
oooooooooo lance's bike ... sorry dewd but i am going to have call BS on that one. lance is pretty close to my size. the only thing we could do with that bike other than use it as a paper weight is use the TT as a chin up bar.

but, let's talk about the foam grips ... how hot would they be on my legend? i could take off that nasty brooks leather crap and go foam. that would be the business!

Kevan
10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
oooooooooo lance's bike ... sorry dewd but i am going to have call BS on that one. lance is pretty close to my size. the only thing we could do with that bike other than use it as a paper weight is use the TT as a chin up bar.

but, let's talk about the foam grips ... how hot would they be on my legend? i could take off that nasty brooks leather crap and go foam. that would be the business!

you got to take the chrome. too. Er...there is no chrome actually, but you get my point.

For you...being a forum pal, I'll cut you a deal. How about $1.25 off the asking price?

thejen12
10-19-2007, 10:14 AM
The only problem I have with craigs list is the people who say they're gonna meet you at 6pm on Monday, then don't show. Then they say, sorry, how about 7pm on Tuesday, etc. It can be a real time-waster. I'd rather ship the item if it's not too big. That way I get it all done at once.

Jenn

gt6267a
10-19-2007, 10:36 AM
you got to take the chrome. too. Er...there is no chrome actually, but you get my point.

For you...being a forum pal, I'll cut you a deal. How about $1.25 off the asking price?

ok, how about this deal. you pay me $75 to take the bike and an additional $1.25 foam service charge. Rounding things up, you pay me $100 and ship for free? Is that the offer? I accept!

Kevan
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
ok, how about this deal. you pay me $75 to take the bike and an additional $1.25 foam service charge. Rounding things up, you pay me $100 and ship for free? Is that the offer? I accept!

and let you deal with it.

The torment I get from the missus, "So....how's that bike sell going, dear?" (As if she doesn't already know.) "Have you gotten any email queries yet?" (That's right...dig it in! Dig it in....but when the money comes, don't you be holding out your hand!)

Jeff Weir
10-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Kevan, I know your wife quite well and she thinks it's cute that are going to try to make her beg for the money when the bike sells. The reality is, she doesn't care about the bike, the money, or you.
xoxo

PS: Please do not come home early tonight......

maunahaole
10-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I can agree with much of what has been said.

1. Free is good, you can add pictures, and you can pretty much control how people can contact you. It uses a remailer, so you dont have to list your home email address. You enter it in the screen when you list and they give you a unique email for your listing. This is optional, you can list you rphone # if you wish.

2. Lots of flakes on doing a meetup.

Keep in mind that a lot of folks like to lowball stuff once they are there. If you want to be rid of something, price it to sell. Be firm in your listing if you are not interested in trades, etc., make sure you are clear with people on what sort of payment is acceptable. I generally like meeting people at a public spot if I have something portable. Partially because I dont want people to know where I live and part because my place is hard to find the first time.

Kevan
10-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I got a nibble email last night. Now, it's important that I not jerk the line too soon. Gotta wait and feel them take the hook.

Now in all honesty, the bike would be a perfect campus hound.

chuckroast
10-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Kevan, why don't you give it to a Thrift store, declare it worth $100 at tax time and make some College kid's day when they buy it for $20.

TimD
10-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Strip off the parts, save the front wheel, and call it an unfinished fixie project.
$100 or best offer!