PDA

View Full Version : Help: Cervical Spine Fusion

oldfatslow
10-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Long story but it appears I may be heading down a path that may involve spinal fusion of my C6/C7 vertebrae. Do any of you have experience with this type of surgery? Obviously, I am interested in whether you could readily get back on the bike.

I appreciate your coaching!

Elefantino
10-19-2007, 05:26 AM
I had C4-5-6 fusion after a broken neck. Other than losing some range of motion, no issues with the bike.

Hope your surgery goes well and you're back on the road soon!

BarryG
10-19-2007, 05:53 AM
I would urge you to research all your options and consider the minimally invasive endoscopic surgical procedures, if they're appropriate for your condition.

Please pm me if you wish to discuss further or hear about my C5/6, C6/7 surgery.

bostondrunk
10-19-2007, 06:53 AM
I had C4-5-6 fusion after a broken neck. Other than losing some range of motion, no issues with the bike.

Hope your surgery goes well and you're back on the road soon!

My father went through the same thing, 3 level cervical fusion. Long surgery, but went well, with similar results to what Elefantino has mentioned.
5 years later he may be going back for more surgery though as pain in arms and legs is back, and they think more of the spinal column is narrowing....(might be wrong terminology...)

Dekonick
10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Get several opinions - and (if it were me) I would want a neuro working on my spine... nothing against the ortho guys...but...dem noodles (nerves) dont grow back...

I believe they often work in tandem...

A neurosurgeon I know that I like to quote...

"don't cut until you can't take the pain anymore..."

oldfatslow
10-20-2007, 03:54 AM
I appreciate the advice I've received thus far (and encouragement). The hardest part about my situation is I have been off the bike since early August. As a guy who, like many on the forum, use cycling as a means to keep sanity and balance it's really hard not to be able to use my most powerful of medicine!. Anyway, thanks again!

oldfatslow
10-20-2007, 03:55 AM
I appreciate the advice I've received thus far (and encouragement). The hardest part about my situation is I have been off the bike since early August. As a guy who, like many on the forum, use cycling as a means to keep sanity and balance it's really hard not to be able to use my most powerful of medicine!. Anyway, thanks again!

oldfatslow
10-20-2007, 03:56 AM

oldfatslow
10-20-2007, 03:56 AM