PDA

View Full Version : Great Cycling Question Smiley Asked Me

Sandy
10-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Smiley recently asked me a wonderful cycling question. The answer of which is remarkably meaningful to me. The question and my answer are as follows:

What would you be like if you did not ride a bike?

Physically- I would probably weigh about 280-285 pounds, instead of my present 190, and be remarkably void of cardiovascular and muscular fitness, as I was prior to starting cycling. I would undoubtedly be suffering from a cardiovascular issue, as does a close sibling who stopped exercising 15 years ago and gained excessive weight. My sister had by-pass surgery and there is a remarkable high incidence of cancer, obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and high cholesterol in the family. My father and sister died before reaching 60. I will be 67 in December. Yesterday, I went to a drug store and happened to check my blood pressure. If anything, it was a little low. My resting pulse is probably in the high 40’s. Very fortunately, I do not suffer from any of the aforementioned diseases.

Emotionally- Before I retired, I was operating a wholesale business, which gave me no personal satisfaction, only financial reward- Very poor decision to continue in that scenario. I was a loner, and an emotional cripple, doing very little and having too few genuine friends. Cycling opened up new world to me. I joined a local cycling club, met Smiley and his DC cycling group and started making friends and truly enjoying the camaraderie that exists in cycling if you participate. I met some genuinely outstanding people and made some lasting friendships.

Serotta Forum- Started to participate on the forum and learned about cycling content, but much more importantly, learned much more about myself, others, and how I should strive to interact with people in a more meaningful, caring, kind, and understanding manner. Although I try, I sometimes fail others. I have been remarkably fortunate to have acquired some friendships through the forum that I will simply cherish forever. Some of these friendships are with people that I have not yet met personally, but are still very significant to me.

So, what would I be like if I did not ride a bike? I would be both a physical and emotional wreck, would know much less about cycling, and much more importantly, would lack knowledge about what is really important in life. I would not be so fortunate to have some wonderful friendships that will always be exceedingly important to me.

Cycling has added immeasurably to my life. Thank all of you who have demonstrated remarkable concern, sensitivity, compassion, and assistance in my attempts to enjoy and improve in my passion of cycling. You have helped me understand what is really important both in cycling and in life.

Sandy

Ginger
10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Diabetic. Genetically...it runs in the family. It's why I started riding a bike. I may not outrun the disease, but I'm doing my darndest to avoid that scenario. So diabetic is probably one thing that I'd probably be if I didn't ride my bike.

I would probably not be divorced if it weren't for the independence and strength and self respect I discovered I had on my bike (Except for the self-respect it was always there...the bike just helped me realize the right and wrong of things in my life 14 years ago).

I probably would not have become involved with a trail advocacy organization for over 10 years or built the friendships that that involved. I would not have built relationships with other trail riders, land managers, or legislators. I would not have designed and built fun to ride legal trails, solved user issues, dealt with other user groups. Or become a chapter president, or president (past president) of a 2500 member trail advocacy organization if I didn't ride a bike. So...I never EVER would have gotten involved in politics if I didn't ride a bike.

I wouldn't be familiar with ACL replacement protocol if I didn't ride a bike...and a lot of other physical therapy stuff... (nuf said on that one)

I probably would not have recovered as well from my mortocycle accident or any of my resulting surgeries if it weren't for cycling. Every time I've gone in they've said: You're quite fit, if you were less fit, this would be difficult for you. Even my physical therapist had to revamp his treatments because while he was overjoyed to have someone in some semblance of "in shape" he usually didn't deal with athletes. (and he gave me a different view of athletic...) which leads to:

I wouldn't be an athlete if I didn't ride a bike. I never thought of myself as one, but others have, and they've shown me that even though I don't race, I am actually...an athlete.

If I didn't ride a bike I would not know exactly what it takes to ride 100 miles on a bike and I would not be able to assess myself and my current status to be able to say how long that would take me on a bike at any particular moment in time on a particular terrain, how much fuel I'd need, or how I'd feel when I was done with the 100. :)

The one thing that I really probably wouldn't have gotten involved in is right here. If I hadn't been looking at a Serotta I never would have gotten involved in this forum and I never EVER would have traveled the country to meet up with people I met on a bb on the internet if it weren't for the bike.
I've been chatting with people on the bitnet/internet for school and work since 89 (when it was just between universities) and it never dawned on me to go meet any of them until the Serotta forum. Only crazy people do that you know...very dungeons and dragons [my apologies to all dungeons and dragons aficionados...]) This is all Ben's fault. I have to remember to thank him again when next we meet.

Many of the other things that cycling has brought me, I think I'd fall into one way or another even if I didn't ride a bike.

So, to sum it up, if I didn't ride a bike I might be diabetic, I'd be in a wrong relationship married with kids, I'd never be involved in politics, and I wouldn't have met the wonderful people I've met here on the forum.

Lifelover
10-18-2007, 08:52 PM

I have an addictive personalty so if it wasn't cycling it would be something else.

Could have been drugs, sex, violence or some other destructive habit. Could have easily meant an early end or a miserably insistence.

However it could have been music, kayaking, building great structures or coaching kids full time.

You will never know what could have been so there is no need to ponder it.

ATMO

Ginger
10-18-2007, 09:15 PM

The life which is not examined is not worth living..
::: Plato :::

Please all, and you will please none.
Aesop

I really do live for the future, because when I'm eating a box of candy, I can't wait to taste the last piece.
::: Andy Warhol :::

:D

Lifelover
10-18-2007, 09:18 PM
The life which is not examined is not worth living..
::: Plato :::

Please all, and you will please none.
Aesop

I really do live for the future, because when I'm eating a box of candy, I can't wait to taste the last piece.
::: Andy Warhol :::

:D

I keep good company

DarrenCT
10-18-2007, 09:20 PM
i'd probably be rich if i wasn't addicted to bikes :)

Sandy
10-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Diabetic. Genetically...it runs in the family. It's why I started riding a bike. I may not outrun the disease, but I'm doing my darndest to avoid that scenario. So diabetic is probably one thing that I'd probably be if I didn't ride my bike.

I would probably not be divorced if it weren't for the independence and strength and self respect I discovered I had on my bike (Except for the self-respect it was always there...the bike just helped me realize the right and wrong of things in my life 14 years ago).

I probably would not have become involved with a trail advocacy organization for over 10 years or built the friendships that that involved. I would not have built relationships with other trail riders, land managers, or legislators. I would not have designed and built fun to ride legal trails, solved user issues, dealt with other user groups. Or become a chapter president, or president (past president) of a 2500 member trail advocacy organization if I didn't ride a bike. So...I never EVER would have gotten involved in politics if I didn't ride a bike.

I wouldn't be familiar with ACL replacement protocol if I didn't ride a bike...and a lot of other physical therapy stuff... (nuf said on that one)

I probably would not have recovered as well from my mortocycle accident or any of my resulting surgeries if it weren't for cycling. Every time I've gone in they've said: You're quite fit, if you were less fit, this would be difficult for you. Even my physical therapist had to revamp his treatments because while he was overjoyed to have someone in some semblance of "in shape" he usually didn't deal with athletes. (and he gave me a different view of athletic...) which leads to:

I wouldn't be an athlete if I didn't ride a bike. I never thought of myself as one, but others have, and they've shown me that even though I don't race, I am actually...an athlete.

If I didn't ride a bike I would not know exactly what it takes to ride 100 miles on a bike and I would not be able to assess myself and my current status to be able to say how long that would take me on a bike at any particular moment in time on a particular terrain, how much fuel I'd need, or how I'd feel when I was done with the 100. :)

The one thing that I really probably wouldn't have gotten involved in is right here. If I hadn't been looking at a Serotta I never would have gotten involved in this forum and I never EVER would have traveled the country to meet up with people I met on a bb on the internet if it weren't for the bike.
I've been chatting with people on the bitnet/internet for school and work since 89 (when it was just between universities) and it never dawned on me to go meet any of them until the Serotta forum. Only crazy people do that you know...very dungeons and dragons [my apologies to all dungeons and dragons aficionados...]) This is all Ben's fault. I have to remember to thank him again when next we meet.

Many of the other things that cycling has brought me, I think I'd fall into one way or another even if I didn't ride a bike.

So, to sum it up, if I didn't ride a bike I might be diabetic, I'd be in a wrong relationship married with kids, I'd never be involved in politics, and I wouldn't have met the wonderful people I've met here on the forum.

Superb answer Ginger....as in Serotta Superb! In addition, none of us here would receive your insight and refreshing delivery, nor the basic concern and caring that you have for us!!

Sandy

Sandy
10-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I have an addictive personalty so if it wasn't cycling it would be something else.

Could have been drugs, sex, violence or some other destructive habit. Could have easily meant an early end or a miserably insistence.

However it could have been music, kayaking, building great structures or coaching kids full time.

ATMO

Neat answer. Undoubtedly, it would have been something for you...possibly just as productive and healthy, possibly the opposite. At least you know that you made an excellent choice.

Sandy

Sandy
10-18-2007, 09:58 PM
i'd probably be rich if i wasn't addicted to bikes :)

But it would have been an unhappy rich! :)

Sandy

Too Tall
10-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Worm Food, perhaps.
Sandy, I've been in motion since I was 4 1/2 yrs. old and mostly on a bike or a horse. I wish I could be as frank and open as you are here. Very briefly, this is not my saving grace it is my vehicle. There could be others but this certainly is a joyous turn of events and has been for many yrs. and more to come.

MarleyMon
10-19-2007, 06:30 AM
What would I be...?
Older, much older

Sandy
10-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Worm Food, perhaps.
Sandy, I've been in motion since I was 4 1/2 yrs. old and mostly on a bike or a horse. I wish I could be as frank and open as you are here. Very briefly, this is not my saving grace it is my vehicle. There could be others but this certainly is a joyous turn of events and has been for many yrs. and more to come.

When you get so old and worn out that you can't tell the difference between a bike and a horse, nor care, then it will be time for you to get off your bike. As I see it with you, that will be in about 200-300 years. :rolleyes:

Sandy

R2D2
10-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Insane.

TimD
10-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Insane.

+1. Stressed and worse off, generally.

Ray
10-19-2007, 07:19 AM
I rode very little this year, which gave me cause to think about this very question. I didn't start riding (other than occasionally around the neighborhood with my kids) until I was in my late 30s. I wasn't quite as fit before I started riding, but I ran and hit the weights and was always reasonably fit. Certainly fit enough to stay healthy. I was about the same degree of happy, sad, stressed, etc, when I didn't ride.

It's just that when I started riding, I found something I just flat LOVED to do. The fitness benefits are a nice thing, but that's not why I started or why I kept riding. I just love the feeling of gliding down the road, grinding or floating up hills (depending on the day and the hills), flying down the hills, seeing the scenery, etc. And there's something liberating about knowing that I can receive a frame and fork and a bunch of raw parts in the mail one day and turn it all into a serviceable vehicle I can travel 50 or more miles on the next day.

But this year it wasn't really happening. A few reasons - the main one being a real estate task turned nightmare that lasted from May until now and MIGHT be winding down if the mortgage appraiser doesn't puke all over the deal we are currently expecting to close at the end of next month. Riding has always been a place I go where my mind wanders. I get some of my best thinking and non-thinking done on bike rides. Highly meditative and helpful. But this year, when I was able to find the time to ride, my frickin' mind just kept going back to the same damn place, and it wasn't a happy place at all. So I didn't even really WANT to ride very much in addition to not being able to ride as much even if I'd wanted to.

And I can't say my overall quality of life has been much different for not riding much. I've started running (barely jogging, really) again and I'm still in pretty good shape, but nothing like in past years when I was riding a LOT. My family and friends and work and community were and are still the most important parts of my life. Riding bikes and music are the other things that I love a lot and get a lot of pleasure from, but I seem to do just fine with limited amounts of either.

The house seems to be sold now and my stress level has dropped quite a bit and over the last month or so I've been back on the bike 2-3 times a week, even if only for 30-40 miles at a shot (and riding even slower than usual, which is pretty impressive in its own right). And my mind is in a place that I can enjoy it again. Maybe next year I'll pile on the miles again. Maybe I won't. And there's the outside possibility that this is the beginning of the end of cycling as a major part of my life. Or at least AS major a part. I have no idea yet whether this year was an aberration or the start of a trend. I'll let it happen as it happens and I'll know in time.

But its not the end of the world either way. I can be sane and happy without riding. But I enjoy the hell out of it most of the time, so I hope I stay with it.

-Ray

Sandy
10-19-2007, 07:19 AM
+1. Stressed and worse off, generally.

I think most of us, often use, without even realizing it, cycling, in part, as a stress reducer. Although we differ in ability, focus, type of bike we ride, time on the bike, intensity level,...., we are reducing stress as we ride.

Sandy

Acotts
10-19-2007, 07:28 AM
If I didn't ride a bike...well, then I would have to depend on public transportation. That's not nearly as much fun.

Sandy
10-19-2007, 07:38 AM
If I didn't ride a bike...well, then I would have to depend on public transportation. That's not nearly as much fun.

Oops! Double Oops! I didn't even mention a key word that you just did- fun---The actual process of cycling is fun- independent of the physical benefit and certain mental benefits- it is just fun-plain and simple fun!

Sandy

Dave B
10-19-2007, 08:02 AM
As a result of cycling in my life:

I have made the best friends I have in life as a result of cycling. They are two fellas that I am able to share the best and worst times in my life. We are a trio of goofiness that has no bounds.

I have traveled to places (geographical) that I might have never have seen if it were not for cycling. Better yet, if I would have some how happened on these places I would not have seen them in the same way.

I have been able to fall in love with an activity that causes me to smile and pass on to the students in my classes.

I think most importantly it has kept me from being lost. The kind of lost we might all go through in our lives, where you know you need something in your life, but just can't sort out what it is.

I think this place holds some sort of magic over me as I find myself intrigued, angered, confused, educated, but most importantly....a sense of belonging when i come tot he forum.

Great thread Sandy as always!

Prez

Sandy
10-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Yep. That is how it beomes on the forum. Fun, learning, interaction, smiles. laughs, seriousness, frustration, anger, perplexity,.... you feel a part of it...belonging here......although I think a few at Serotta might like to see me go.... :rolleyes:

Sandy

As a result of cycling in my life:

I have made the best friends I have in life as a result of cycling. They are two fellas that I am able to share the best and worst times in my life. We are a trio of goofiness that has no bounds.

I have traveled to places (geographical) that I might have never have seen if it were not for cycling. Better yet, if I would have some how happened on these places I would not have seen them in the same way.

I have been able to fall in love with an activity that causes me to smile and pass on to the students in my classes.

I think most importantly it has kept me from being lost. The kind of lost we might all go through in our lives, where you know you need something in your life, but just can't sort out what it is.

I think this place holds some sort of magic over me as I find myself intrigued, angered, confused, educated, but most importantly....a sense of belonging when i come tot he forum.

Great thread Sandy as always!

Prez

Acotts
10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Without Cycling...I wouldn't have to go to retail shops and pay high premiums to support pretensous sales persons who ignore me.

I also would not have learned how to build and maintain my bikes to avoid pretensous sales persons who ignore me. :D

(however, I have started to build a good rapport with my current lbs. the one who sold me the Fierte Frame.)

BURCH
10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Without cycling, I would just fill the time with other pleasures like swimming, hiking, hunting, fly fishing, camping.

For summer enjoyment, I would probable have gotten back into rowing. I don't think that I would be any different physically though. I have always been active at one thing or another.

Ohhh, I might have found time to finally take up white water kayaking!!!

Sandy
10-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Without cycling, I would just fill the time with other pleasures like swimming, hiking, hunting, fly fishing, camping.

For summer enjoyment, I would probable have gotten back into rowing. I don't think that I would be any different physically though. I have always been active at one thing or another.

Ohhh, I might have found time to finally take up white water kayaking!!!

You are really fortunate to have such a diversity of interests that would work for you. If I didn't ride a bike I would spend more time at the shelter (dogs), which I should anyway. But I am not sure what I would replace cycling with. I did enjoy doing spin classes severaal years ago, but that is cycling too.

Sandy

zap
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
snipped

Sandy
One option.

Bigger as I would be playing rugby and more upper body mass is a plus.

Climb01742
10-19-2007, 12:55 PM
limping, probably.

without cycling, i'd still be running a lot and beating the crap out of my legs. without cycling, i'd still be an athlete, but doing other sports.

but without cycling, i never would have found this forum. that would have been a bummer. as others have said eloquently, this forum and you forumites give me a lot. without it and you, i'd be poorer in all sorts of ways.

Sandy
10-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I know several cyclists who turned to cycling after many years of running. Some competed in marathons prior to cycling. Their kness and other joints could not take the pounding associated with running.

Sandy

Kevan
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
I think it came at a point when life's challenges gave me a cold hard slap of reality across the face, and I needed to make a decision how to precede, how to start over. The challenges came in the form of health and financial issues. My decisions had to address career change, devotion to my marriage, addressing problems with my own health, and being the best father I could be for my kids. I had several friends that faced similar hurdles and I think, compared to them, I took the better direction. Had I not chosen cycling, I fear that my health concerns would have worsened; I'd probably be drinking more and more often (Kevan’s WASPy family at large relished in the cocktail hour. Relish as in pickled.), and I wonder if my marriage would have survived, and with it, my relationship with my kids. The best thing I did was to announce that our family was going a new direction. We bought some cruddy hybrid bikes and started the voyage back to physical, emotional and financial health.

The only thing detrimental, I suppose, that has come about with my cycling life, is a sordid love affair with an old Jewish man. Hey, it’s a work in progress and my wife seems to be okay about it.

davids
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
I pondered this for a bit before responding. I re-engaged in cycling shortly after turning 41, when I bought a mountain bike from a guy I later learned was a Jerk. Up until that point, I'd been an occasional cyclist, and not very involved in any other consistent physical activity. I got into it slowly at first, but was riding regularly within 6 months. I started road riding regularly less than 2 years later and, unless I've been on vacation away from my bikes, haven't gone more than 3-4 days without riding since then.

So.

1. I'd be significantly less healthy. I remember the feeling of being out of shape, restless and logy. I only get that feeling now when I go more than 3 days without exercising, and that doesn't happen often. While cycling is the exercise I'm passionate about, it has opened me up to engage in a variety of strenuous activities, most notably rowing (although I still hate to run...) I willingly torture myself with ancient "Abs of Steel" videos all winter long, something I could never make myself do before I was a motivated cyclist.

My cardiovascular system is really healthy. My cholesterol levels are pretty great (HDL 71, LDL 126), and my weight and BMI are healthy. Although I've got chronic asthma, it's very well controlled, and I think I owe all of this to cycling.

I'd be less emotionally healthy, too. I deal with winter better now that I don't feel trapped indoors. And beyond the endorphin addiction, I just plain love to ride a bike. It makes me happy a lot of the time. It's really great to have something in my life, completely under my control, that consistently makes me feel good.

2. I have a greater appreciation for athletes. I was not raised in a family that valued this at all. I was a small kid, and never very coordinated. Not surprisingly, I devalued it. Now I get it. I can encourage my daughter (blessed with my native athleticism, unfortunately) to participate in sports without hypocrisy - for the sheer joy of the physical exertion, and team experience. My appreciation goes way beyond cycling, too.

3. I've got a more intimate appreciation of craftsmanship than ever before. Honestly, I've always had connoisseur-ist tendencies, and was as into high-end audio as I now am into bikes. But the technologies, theories and (most importantly) practitioners were distant names, not real people. Through both this-here forum and my relationships with people who I've come to know here, I've come to understand and appreciate design, fabrication, materials, and the passions behind the pursuit of a vision. Way cool stuff to be exposed to, and it makes my appreciation of the machine that is a bicycle much stronger.

4. I have a whole other set of acquaintances and friends involved in cycling, from the group I interact with on-line (and occasionally in person) to the revolving group I regularly ride with, to a few very close friends that have emerged through our mutual interests in riding bikes. My wife mentions buying a tandem every once and a while, and at some point I may push the issue. That should add a whole 'nother social dimension to the activity... I see this aspect continuing to evolve and grow, and that's a good, good thing.

(Since I cross-posted with Kevan: As a future old Jewish man, the sordid love affair thing sounds pretty OK... ;) )

Karin Kirk
10-19-2007, 04:21 PM

I would be sad and lonely, for I met Dave while riding a bike. I can't imagine life without him, nor without our lovely life that is so intertwined around bicycles.

Ginger
10-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I would be sad and lonely, for I met Dave while riding a bike. I can't imagine life without him, nor without our lovely life that is so intertwined around bicycles.

Awwwwww.

Sandy
10-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Warm, beautiful, and fortunate for both of you. It is great to be able to share the passion of cycling with your spouse.

I still don't understand why Gloria is so upset since I had her sleep on the floor and had my Ottrott next to me in bed at night. She is not a cyclist, so I guess that she will never really understand why..... :) :)

Sleeping Snoring Simple Serotta Sandy

Sandy
10-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I pondered this for a bit before responding. I re-engaged in cycling shortly after turning 41, when I bought a mountain bike from a guy I later learned was a Jerk. Up until that point, I'd been an occasional cyclist, and not very involved in any other consistent physical activity. I got into it slowly at first, but was riding regularly within 6 months. I started road riding regularly less than 2 years later and, unless I've been on vacation away from my bikes, haven't gone more than 3-4 days without riding since then.

So.

1. I'd be significantly less healthy. I remember the feeling of being out of shape, restless and logy. I only get that feeling now when I go more than 3 days without exercising, and that doesn't happen often. While cycling is the exercise I'm passionate about, it has opened me up to engage in a variety of strenuous activities, most notably rowing (although I still hate to run...) I willingly torture myself with ancient "Abs of Steel" videos all winter long, something I could never make myself do before I was a motivated cyclist.

My cardiovascular system is really healthy. My cholesterol levels are pretty great (HDL 71, LDL 126), and my weight and BMI are healthy. Although I've got chronic asthma, it's very well controlled, and I think I owe all of this to cycling.

I'd be less emotionally healthy, too. I deal with winter better now that I don't feel trapped indoors. And beyond the endorphin addiction, I just plain love to ride a bike. It makes me happy a lot of the time. It's really great to have something in my life, completely under my control, that consistently makes me feel good.

2. I have a greater appreciation for athletes. I was not raised in a family that valued this at all. I was a small kid, and never very coordinated. Not surprisingly, I devalued it. Now I get it. I can encourage my daughter (blessed with my native athleticism, unfortunately) to participate in sports without hypocrisy - for the sheer joy of the physical exertion, and team experience. My appreciation goes way beyond cycling, too.

3. I've got a more intimate appreciation of craftsmanship than ever before. Honestly, I've always had connoisseur-ist tendencies, and was as into high-end audio as I now am into bikes. But the technologies, theories and (most importantly) practitioners were distant names, not real people. Through both this-here forum and my relationships with people who I've come to know here, I've come to understand and appreciate design, fabrication, materials, and the passions behind the pursuit of a vision. Way cool stuff to be exposed to, and it makes my appreciation of the machine that is a bicycle much stronger.

4. I have a whole other set of acquaintances and friends involved in cycling, from the group I interact with on-line (and occasionally in person) to the revolving group I regularly ride with, to a few very close friends that have emerged through our mutual interests in riding bikes. My wife mentions buying a tandem every once and a while, and at some point I may push the issue. That should add a whole 'nother social dimension to the activity... I see this aspect continuing to evolve and grow, and that's a good, good thing.

(Since I cross-posted with Kevan: As a future old Jewish man, the sordid love affair thing sounds pretty OK... ;) )

Great answer. Obviously you evolved as a cyclist in so many ways- physical and emotional health, appreciation of the design,technology, fabrication.,..., and a lot more...of a bike, appreciation of athletes, and friends and aquaintances produced as a result of your interest and love of cycling. You, have it, and in a really wonderful manner- evolution of a cyclist on so many significant levels.

A wonderful description of how someone can evolve in an area in so many wonderful ways. Super Post! Super evolution!!

Thanks!

Sandy

bigtime
10-19-2007, 07:42 PM
that's very cool. you give me hope that i can yet find a sig oth i'm attracted to on many levels, one of which must be their passion for a sport. i vote for cycling. (i was going to say physical activity...but i know this forum.)

Sandy
10-19-2007, 09:43 PM
I think it came at a point when life's challenges gave me a cold hard slap of reality across the face, and I needed to make a decision how to precede, how to start over. The challenges came in the form of health and financial issues. My decisions had to address career change, devotion to my marriage, addressing problems with my own health, and being the best father I could be for my kids. I had several friends that faced similar hurdles and I think, compared to them, I took the better direction. Had I not chosen cycling, I fear that my health concerns would have worsened; I'd probably be drinking more and more often (Kevan’s WASPy family at large relished in the cocktail hour. Relish as in pickled.), and I wonder if my marriage would have survived, and with it, my relationship with my kids. The best thing I did was to announce that our family was going a new direction. We bought some cruddy hybrid bikes and started the voyage back to physical, emotional and financial health.

The only thing detrimental, I suppose, that has come about with my cycling life, is a sordid love affair with an old Jewish man. Hey, it’s a work in progress and my wife seems to be okay about it.

Kevan- Looked as if you reached a point in your life at which you realized that the direction in which you were headed was simply going to take you down a path which was going to simply worsen, on several fronts, where you were, which at the time was not what you would want for yourself, your spouse or your kids. So you made the bold step after the realization above to make some radical changes in your life. Good for you---actually great for you!!....and your wife...and your kids...and your wallet. With the new direction (and a few bikes) you "started the voyage back to physical, emotional and financial heath'" Good for you again---actually....great for you!! I really am happy and proud of your accomplishments. It is often so very difficult to make changes when you are inside the poor situation. Easier to be ouside and look in then to be inside and look in or out. You did. Congratulations.

For a moment I was thinking that you were talking about me in the last paragraph, but then I saw you mention an "old Jewish man". I will be somewhere around 35 or so sometime. Don't remember my religion at this time! :rolleyes: :)

Rabbi Cohen