PDA

View Full Version : ST bearing

ZippRider
10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Has anybody had any experience in replacing the bearing on the ST stay? What specific tools are needed etc..??

Thanks

Doug

Pete Serotta
10-18-2007, 06:43 PM
There are some folks on the forum who have done it. If they are not on over the next day or so, repost and I will find out from Steve or James at Serotta.

PETE

cadence231
10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I have not done it myself but my shop has done it twice on my 02' Ottrot with a rather high dollar special fantastic specific Serotta bearing specific tool. It is kept in a purple velvet bag at Cycles Unlimited in Springfield, MO. In fact I am having the bearings replaced again next week. Sorry I can't help more. You can definately feel the difference after getting new ones installed.

SoCalSteve
10-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I have not done it myself but my shop has done it twice on my 02' Ottrot with a rather high dollar special fantastic specific Serotta bearing specific tool. It is kept in a purple velvet bag at Cycles Unlimited in Springfield, MO. In fact I am having the bearings replaced again next week. Sorry I can't help more. You can definately feel the difference after getting new ones installed.

Why have you needed to replace them so often? Do you ride in poor conditions?

I was under the impression that (given the right conditions, no rain, etc) they should last many, many thousands of miles...

Thanks,

Steve

pdxmech13
10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
how would one go about knowing their bearings longer work ?

Brian Smith
10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Serotta sells dealers a special puller/press tool to do the bearing replacement.

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Polished Ti stays rule.

Looks like they are no longer available on the Legend.

Say it ain;t so Mr. Brian Smith. Say it ain't so .... :(

Brian Smith
10-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Polished Ti stays rule.

Looks like they are no longer available on the Legend.

Say it ain;t so Mr. Brian Smith. Say it ain't so .... :(

If not, then I didn't know that yet.
No frame with a seat tube length below a certain value can be made with a carbon stay...just sayin'...

93legendti
10-18-2007, 09:49 PM
I think the Legend can still be ordered with a ti rear:

http://www.serotta.com/legend/specs.html

"Stay: ST Carbon with Ti option "

cadence231
10-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Why have you needed to replace them so often? Do you ride in poor conditions?

I was under the impression that (given the right conditions, no rain, etc) they should last many, many thousands of miles...

Thanks,

Steve

I ride many many miles in many weird conditions and many many weird roads as a matter of course.
Here's my training buddy on our ride yesterday on one of our tame gravel roads.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/IMG_0571.jpg

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2007, 09:49 AM
If not, then I didn't know that yet.
No frame with a seat tube length below a certain value can be made with a carbon stay...just sayin'...

Amen !

Thanks too 93 Ti.

Skrawny
10-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Here's my training buddy...

The socks are a nice touch.
-s

soulspinner
10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I ride many many miles in many weird conditions and many many weird roads as a matter of course.
Here's my training buddy on our ride yesterday on one of our tame gravel roads.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/IMG_0571.jpg

Probably the pic angle-his seat looks a bit high.