PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott Vs. the Atlanta

shinomaster
07-16-2004, 11:51 PM
So tonight I was in a local brew-pub watching the Tour ( which was packed) and there was a guy at the end of the bar clinging to his new Ottrott as a Mother Gizzly bear would it's baby offspring.
Being the curious fellow that I am I asked him how he liked it, and he said he loved it. I told him I had an Atlanta, and he said he did too and that he actually liked the way his Atlanta rode better than his Ottrott. He then said he spent $14.000 on his Ottrott. It was nicely equipped but he only had chorus parts on it with an fsa crank and Cosmic carbon wheels... Wow I said that is a lot of money! I had no Idea that an Ottrott cost so much?

Is that a normal price? Seems high to me... Or is the local shop just marking them up a lot? He said he wanted Record but he could not afford it! Wow...then I told him I had record on my Cannondale and he looked sad...
BUt he did say he loved his bike! Sounds like I have the better bike though..Not the cannondale, the Atlanta!

Any thoughts on this tale?

I PROMISE I'm just curious!

xxoo

shinomaster

pale scotsman
07-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Me thinks 14K is a "slight" exageration. Did the dude have a Canadian accent? Was he drinking Labatts? What the hell is a guy doing in a bar with an Ottrott in the first place? That's a sure fire way to get your ass kicked in these parts.

Michael Katz
07-17-2004, 07:26 AM
He got seriously gouged if he wasn't BS'ing you. The list price on my Record equipped Ottrott ST with Chris King headset, all ti cassette, Phil Wood Mag/Ti BB and Ksyerium SL wheels and a 5 year unlimited service policy was $9567. And I didn't pay list, my shop was willing to make me a sweet deal.

Dekonick
07-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Thats nuts. No way.

a full record groupo with carbon cranks would be 2k tops - unless you are talking about adding a few custom parts like ti casette...etc..

add 2k for killer wheels... ok now we are at 4k

frame, size, build, fair profit - I say total 10k for an ultimate bike. Am I wrong? I feel guilty that I spent $4500 on my newest stable member. I cant imagine 15k unless I had alot more $$ than I do now! -

Wow - must be some unethical Serotta dealers out there. Suprises me.

alembical
07-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Shino,
That is so funny. I know exactly who are talking about. I always see him standing at the bar with his Ottrot leaning up against the bar. I am not sure, but for some reason, I had thought that it was not even an Ottrot ST. If it is is the same dude I am thinking about, it is not painted either, which saves a couple hundred bucks. The strange thing is that all the other 100 or so bikes are locked up outside. He seems like a nice guy though.

Rivercity has a Seven (Alantis? or something that starts with an 'A') hanging on a scale with a price tag of $10,800. I was going to order 2, but decided to get some socks insted.

If you are going Sunday, drop me a line.

Alembical

alembical
07-17-2004, 12:23 PM
I would be shocked if he bought that bike here (Portland) and got that gouged. To my knowledge the only local Serotta dealer is the Bike Gallery and there reputation is of being one of the best Serotta dealers and fitters.

At the same time, I cant imagine that anyone would fib and say that there bike cost more than it does. I have people ask me how much my bike (CSI) cost, and I always reply that there is a big range in prices, but you can get a nice bike for around $1,000.

Alembical

shinomaster
07-17-2004, 12:57 PM
That bike on the scale is a seven... HE said he got it at the bikegallery.. they do have a high mark up..but yikes.

Bill Bove
07-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Telling someone in a bar around here that your bike is worth $300 is a flat out garauntee that you will be mugged as soon as you step outside.

Andreu
07-17-2004, 01:38 PM
of frequenting bars in Europe this could be the typical "fish I caught today" story. When you are in your cups these things can happen.
A

Larry
07-17-2004, 02:44 PM
The Seven Cycles frame that that you are referring to is most likely the Altus or the Axiom.
It sounds like there are some seriuos rip-off artists in some of these bike shops.
This guy that has the Ottrott has some serious self-image problem, especially if he brings the bike into a bar. He most likely is not that great of a rider either........ but he has THE bike by gosh. Perhaps he is trying to impress some babe at the bar with this awesome machine. And..... I cannot imagine an Ottrott without Record or Dura Ace. The guy is a phony.
Yes...... I have heard of these guys who show up for the Saturday morning ride, cruise around the parking lot, and then load it back in their car when the ride takes off. These are the pretenders, and they pretend to be real riders by spending exorbitant amounts of money on a bike that they rarely use. -----very common in North Dallas. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sandy
07-17-2004, 05:39 PM
For $14,000 you could buy 2 well equipped Ottrotts, probably 2 Ottrott ST's.

Sandy

Hard Fit
07-17-2004, 07:32 PM
My guess is that he brings it into the bar because he is afraid to let it out of his sight. I can't blame him. If I paid that much for a bike (which will never happen), I would do the same.

Dekonick
07-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Whats wrong with Chorus? IMHO its an extremely nice drivetrain. For that matter whats wrong with Ultegra? - heck if you are tight on $$ but you want the frame - I say spend the bucks on the frame + fork - and toss on 9sp ultegra. Thats the easy part to upgrade.

I would not be suprised if there were Ottrott's with Centaur - and Ill bet they ride just as nice as record 10 with FSA cranks...

Not everyone can afford to put record 10 with carbon cranks with 2k+ wheelsets on their bikes. Some people have families, loans, etc...

Just my $ .01 1/2

dbrk
07-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Or an Ottrott and TWO custom Mariposas...or nearly two custom Anything Elses, or a whole fleet of Nearly Anything Else. Don't mistake me, I think everyone should be so lucky as to LOVE whatever they love, the money be damned. I mean, I like old Mercians that cost me nuthin' and then get painted with the ol' barbershop pole, to say nothing of pink cross bikes (uhhh...you haven't seen that one yet...). But how much one spends on a bike has about zero to do with the quality of the bike or the joy it offers. My favorite bikes are not the ones that cost the most.

If this fella with the bike in the bar is happy 'cause he owns or paid whatever for his bike, all I can think is to wish him well. He seems pleased with the notion he paid a fortune. Somehow I get the other thrill: that I got a great ride for a pittance. Either way, whatever rocks'yerboat, no?

dbrk

shinomaster
07-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Oh, I think this man loves his bike and really rides it, maybe even races, as he looks fit . I know he brought it into the bar because it would either be stolen or damaged outside. There were at least 25 bikes out side.
Sacha White was there too with his Vanilla fixie in the corner by the way, the bar was full of bikes actually, as they are showing the Tour all month!
I Just couldn't figure out how his bike could cost so much. And he must have been dissapointed since his $1000. Atlanta frame was more to his liking.. Maybe he was full of it? Or maybe he was shafted?

I was just confused by it all..

Poor, confused shino

alembical
07-18-2004, 01:21 AM
I meant no negative comments about the individual, as the only times we have spoken, he has been real nice. He does seem like he rides and taking the bike in the bar was likely not a bad idea. I did see a real attractive girl riding it around the bar, so if I was him, I would be more likely to bring it in the bar the next time as well. I just think he got shafted if that is what he paid. The seven was the Altus and it looked amazing, in a real simple way, but wow it was listed for well over $10,000. And my last point, if I made up an Ottrot, it would definitely have Chorus on it, rather than Record.

Alembical

Andreu
07-18-2004, 06:36 AM
...women riding bikes around bars is interesting.
Not many women ride bikes even on the road here.
thanks for the thought.
A

JohnS
07-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Portlannd must be different. Here in Michigan, the only people who ride bikes to the bar are the alkies that have either lost their license or can't afford the high insurance premiums!

shinomaster
07-18-2004, 12:27 PM
true Portland is different. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

shinomaster
07-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I think most of us are used to Mail -order prices. If you walk into a shop and pay full retail for record carbon parts. Reynolds wheels, carbon bars, fancy, stem , alien post, fancy fizik seat, Tubular tires, and carbon cages plus a custom high end $4000-$5000 frame...the price will get close to nine thousand..

Kevin
07-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Perhaps Mr. Bravado is including the cost of heart rate monitors, power meters etc. in his $14,000 price. Sales tax can add another 8-9% on top of the total price.

Kevin

shinomaster
07-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Oregon is Tax free!!! Come buy stuff!!!

Andreu
07-19-2004, 06:20 AM
And those Prada thigh length crocodile leather bike shoes (that everybody is riding in over here) must be worth at least $4000 a pair.
A :rolleyes: