PDA

View Full Version : Colors That Stay Clean

Marco
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't want to steal Jack B's thread about white paint and how to keep it clean so............

What colors lend themselves to not having that problem of always looking dirty? Silver, Blue, Red? Discuss

Oh yea: that Zanc looks unbelievably beautiful Jack. I have the good fortune to have a Zanc on the way due to his big heart and kind contribution to a cancer related raffle/fundraiser. Pictures to come

Blue Jays
10-17-2007, 10:39 PM
There is really no such thing as "hiding" grime on a bicycle since people view a passing bike from such close range. Get a spray bottle of Mother's Detailer and give it quick wipedown before putting it away after each ride. A dab of moisturizer on the saddle keeps the color deep and shiny.

Louis
10-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Assuming we're not talking about riding in rain or mud, if your bike can't go a week or two without a cleaning, then perhaps you shouldn't be riding it. Hang it up on the wall where it will be safe. (But beware of collecting dust.)

Yes, frames need to be cleaned every now and then, (I typically do it when I lube the chain) and components maintained properly, but obsessively dealing with cosmetic stuff like a cleaning after every ride is over the top.

Just my $0.02
Louis

PacNW2Ford
10-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Amen. I think the coolest bikes are the ones that look like they've been used. Riding is much more fun than bike washing IMHO.

slowgoing
10-18-2007, 01:17 AM
I don't think I've ever cleaned a road bike except when taking off parts. Chain, yes, paint, no.

Elefantino
10-18-2007, 03:03 AM
I clean my bike(s) after every ride.

Best color I know of for hiding grime? Maroon. (Not black.)

Worst? White.

I've had both.

1centaur
10-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Depends on the nature of the dirt. If it's actually brown earth from wet roads that dries to its natural color there's no color that can hide it. If it's generic dirt then carbon fiber weave is excellent for hiding dirt both because of its blackness and its variegation. Personally, I have five white bikes and use baby wipes for minor dirt and minor grease removal pre-ride and general washing for major dirt removal, and I don't ride them in the winter or on wet roads if I don't expect to wash them shortly thereafter, which I know I won't. For summer (and most California) riding, white bikes work great assuming you are not looking for showroom sparkle on every ride - the general essence of whiteness overwhelms any minor dirt.

Too Tall
10-18-2007, 06:34 AM
I don't know about stay clean but these never run :cool:

sspielman
10-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Silver does very well.....red isn't too bad either. White is much better if it has a little pearl or metal flake....

rwsaunders
10-18-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't know about stay clean but these never run :cool:
+1. TT, did you ever get that fit cycle?

Too Tall
10-18-2007, 08:00 AM
+1. TT, did you ever get that fit cycle?
The shipment from Tiawan is sloooooooow. Should be here end of this month. Wait till yah see what I got wooo woooo.

Oh, it will be a WHITE fit bike (see no thread drift) :rolleyes:

sspielman
10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
The shipment from Tiawan is sloooooooow. Should be here end of this month. Wait till yah see what I got wooo woooo.

Oh, it will be a WHITE fit bike (see no thread drift) :rolleyes:

Speaking of thread drift....is it going to have a dynohub?

Acotts
10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
a good tip that I learned from my buddy, a Farrari mechanic and avid biker: If you use a hose really wash a bike (say after a race by a beach when you know there is salt and sand in places you dont want or if you really just want to clean the crap out of a bike.)

After cleaning it, wipe it down, and then give the whole bike a good spray of WD-40. First, it will creap into all the little nooks in the bike push out all the remaining water. 2, it will relube the joints. 3, it will give your bike an incredable shine. 4, it will give your bike that sweet WD-40 smell.

I spray the bike real well, and then I ride around the block so that the vibrations shake off any water and lets the WD-40 spread out. Then I wipe down the excess. The WD-40 will naturally just evaporate off your frame after 48 hours, but it will stick to the small moving joints.

it was the best cleaning tip I have ever gotten.

toaster
10-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Here's the basics you need for a cleaning kit, and a workstand helps too. The shaggy black handled thing is a mini-mop which is the best washing tool ever!

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2007, 08:42 AM
The real advantage to the Serotta 1/2 paint 1/2 Ti paint job is that it
is trivial to clean. All the messy area's are Ti.

I keep my paint well waxed. Dirt jumps right off with a low pressure
garden hose, if the bike gets real dirty.

Warn water in the garden hose works miracles.

Kevan
10-18-2007, 09:14 AM
price of admission. Still cool-looking clean or dirty.

Black...

the lazy man's out.

Raw Ti...

the lazier man's out.

gt6267a
10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
as far as i am concerned, dirty is a right fine color. what is cooler, a new baseball glove or a broken in baseball glove? it's a bike not a museum piece ...

palincss
10-18-2007, 10:36 AM
You'd be surprised at how much less a bike gets dirty if it's equipped with good fenders, like that gorgeous Mariposa over in forum 14.

erikbrooks
10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.sprayonmud.com/

"For that authentic off-road look!"

willy in pacifi
10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't want to steal Jack B's thread about white paint and how to keep it clean so............

What colors lend themselves to not having that problem of always looking dirty? Silver, Blue, Red? Discuss

I rode PBP on a bike that is kind of an avocado color. It rained like hell for half of the ride and other rides thought I had stopped periodically to clean my bike. I had full fenders which kept a majority of crap off the bike but I think it was the color that helped. It was filthy if you looked close but not from a few feet away. France has some very slow moving slugs that wander out on the road when it gets wet. And those slugs can get caught up in the fender if you do not have the fenders on nice & tight. I had to hit the car wash before packing up the bike.

willy in pacifica

Volant
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
This paint scheme should hide dirt well. :)
http://www.yourmtb.com/image/nice_paint_job

72gmc
10-18-2007, 11:19 AM
white keeps your bike clean because it shames you into cleaning it.

I just commuted through a 48 degree downpour on my white bike. 3 construction sites on my route. Go to my paper towel stash in the bike cage, wipe down the rims and frame and chain before I head for the office, and it's not so bad.

vjp
10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
France has some very slow moving slugs that wander out on the road when it gets wet. And those slugs can get caught up in the fender if you do not have the fenders on nice & tight. I had to hit the car wash before packing up the bike.

willy in pacifica

Slugs, the working mans Escargot!

Too Tall
10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Speaking of thread drift....is it going to have a dynohub?
Witty! haha Noooo however I am building / customizing a computrainer load unit so riders can see what happens as we twiddle with the bike...something to pass the time ;)

Fixed
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
bro don't ride no dirt but dust ride no dust but dirt
cheers