PDA

View Full Version : Got hit by a car

flydhest
10-17-2007, 09:58 PM
For the first time in my life, over 20 years as a serious cyclist, I got hit by a car today.

Answers to FAQs:

Yes, the bike is fine.
I was on the Legend.
I'm fine, too, and it was not the first question for me, either.
No, I wasn't doing anything stupid or illegal.
Yes, it was on my commute home.
Yes, I was wearing a helmet.
No, really, I wasn't doing anything stupid or illegal.

I was coming up 20th Street. I had the lane to myself. The left lane had a stopped car, I think looking to make a left turn. As I was rolling up, I noticed a Range Rover behind the lead car. Instinct of a city commuter kicks in to tell you when someone is likely to do something stupid. I noticed his window was down, so I gave a shout, "yo, yo, I'm in this lane." After I rolled past him,* I took a glance over the shoulder and, son of a . . . gun, he hits the gas then. Bangs into me. I walk to the window and ask, "what was up with that? you just hit me." He says, "I don't see it that way." Hmmmmm . . . adrenaline rushing, but someone on the sidewalk shouts out that they saw what happened and are willing to help. I stand in front of the Range Rover and jot down the license plate number. I tell him that I'd like to get his contact information, and he says, "well, if you're going to make such a big deal, why not call the police." So I do. The cop came, she was great, professional, she pointed out that it was his fault, but that since I wasn't hurt and there was no damage, DC police SOP is to not create a written report. She gave him a bit of a talking to. On the bright side, the car was actually going about 5 mph at most when it hit me. It just took me a while to realize that everything was all right. I was taken aback at how rude the guy was to me after driving into me, so I wanted to make sure the cops showed before I decided if everything was ok or not.

First time getting hit in 20 years. Could be worse, I reckon.

*For those who might point out that in some jurisdictions it is illegal to pass on the right, in DC it is not. There was a clear lane that I was in.

djg
10-17-2007, 10:05 PM
That just su-ks -- glad you're ok.

justinf
10-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Glad you are ok man.

mosca
10-17-2007, 10:11 PM
"I don't see it that way"????

I guess since he's the Center of the Universe, all velocities are measured relative to him, therefore you hit him...

(Glad you and bike are ok.)

rwsaunders
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
D$ck Tracy note: A criminal aways returns to the scene of the crime. Keep the license and a description of the RR on file. Where's William when you need him? Glad you're ok.

Kahuna
10-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Flydhest,

I'd be curious to know exactly what way he did "see it". Gremlins press his foot down on the gas?

Out of curiosity did the impact knock you down?

I too have been hit and learned lessons the hard way. God forbid if it ever happens again, I wouldn't engage the driver. I'd lie there and refuse to say anything except "SOMEONE PLEASE CALL AN AMBULANCE!!!!"

Too many knuckleheads out there.

Glad you're OK!

-K

H.Frank Beshear
10-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Fly man glad you are ok. There is lot's of bad advice i'd like to give you but H**l you're bigger than I am, smarter too. Glad you you didn't listen to any of the stupid thoughts I'm sure were rolling around the back of your brain. Mi will tell you (already has I'm sure) there's lots of bikes around, but just one Fly, glad you're ok. Till next we raise a glass. Enjoy the day. Frank

Louis
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Fly, glad to hear that you (and the Legend) are well. You know what they say, there are only two types of cyclists out there, those that have been hit by cars, and those who are going to be hit. I've been hit twice in the last 15 years, so welcome to the club. :crap:

Ginger
10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the statistics.

Glad you're ok.

Marco
10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Ouch......I'm just really glad that you are ok (the bike is not the least bit important in this case). Be above it all and figure out how to have a bike sent to the guys front door just for fun.

Ride On Fly and Stay Safe Out There

Tailwinds
10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm glad you are ok!

Bruce K
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear you're OK.

It's a good thing this moron didn't have more room to build up speed.

Is/was there a full moon out yesterday or today? It's been nuts on the roads.

BK

Blue Jays
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear you're feeling OK at this point. Did you or the bicycle hit the ground?

t. swartz
10-17-2007, 10:44 PM
really admire your calculated response and especially your self-control...

gasman
10-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Glad you are OK.

I'm really amazed you held it all together for such a cool response.

What a jerk, not the Jerk of course, especially for someone like you who does so much for the biking community.

jeffg
10-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Viva Flydhest!

Glad you are with us and not a statistic, if I may be so bold

DukeHorn
10-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Was this in Foggy Bottom around rush hour (or later)? Happy that you're OK. Did he respond to the cop in any fashion (interesting to know what his excuse was--he didn't see you??)?

Ray
10-18-2007, 01:59 AM
You were past him and he gunned it and hit you from behind. Presumably at an angle, but still from behind. And he doesn't see that he hit you? He sees it some OTHER way? Simply freakin' AMAZING!

VERY VERY glad you're OK.

-Ray

RABikes2
10-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Glad you're okay, Fly!
RA

soulspinner
10-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Sure he didnt damage a 1000 rear wheel? :p

Climb01742
10-18-2007, 04:54 AM
fly, after this, hope you have another 20 years of safe riding. very glad you're ok. isn't it funny how instinct works? some cars/drivers just feel like trouble.

1centaur
10-18-2007, 05:01 AM
"I don't see it that way" sounds like it came either from a lawyer (Range Rover and DC support that) or from someone who is used to situations in which people deny deny deny (politician, PR firm honcho, or other habitual blame shifter). I don't think there's any chance he did not actually see it that way, only that he was using a situational tactic (in his view of the world).

William
10-18-2007, 05:07 AM
Fly,
Did you remove his stem? What a fracken idiot.

I'm happy you're ok. Pull a good shot, relax, and get a quiet rural ride in. You deserve it.

William

PS: If you need me, you know what to do (DDDDC). ;)

JohnS
10-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Glad you're okay. Nobody else around here will talk to me... :D

SPOKE
10-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Fly-Man, glad you're ok. really glad that it was not much more than a "mild" roughing up. :crap:

Steelhead
10-18-2007, 06:28 AM
First knee jerk response: "glad you're OK"
2nd knee jerk response: "what a d*** head" (the other guy)

That would have been funny if he would have had some outstanding parking tickets, or something like that and gone to jail.

sspielman
10-18-2007, 06:31 AM
...seems to be the season for that. Glad you are okay.

Sandy
10-18-2007, 06:48 AM
One trip with you to the hospital was enough. Glad that you were ok and didn't need another one. Fortunately he was going very slowly.

So Slow So Serotta Sandy

cpg
10-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Glad you're okay. I'm with Ray on this. Hits you from behind but doesn't think he's at fault? Given your location was he an administration official? I know I shouldn't go political but I couldn't help myself. One thing I'm wondering is if he hit you from behind while going 5 mph, how slow errr fast were you going? Sorry pal just couldn't resist. I'm glad I can be joking about this given your well being.

Curt

merckx
10-18-2007, 07:19 AM
You were not hit by a car. You were assulted with a dangerous weapon. It was pre-meditated. I wouldn't drop this. This creep needs to be off the road.

merckx
10-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Oh, most importantly, I am glad you are okay.

znfdl
10-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Seth, glad you are okay.

flydhest
10-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks everybody.

This guy on the sidewalk was helpful. Turns out he's a cyclist as well. He started worrying about the Legend right away, as well. The cop was shocked when I told her the ballpark of how much the bike costs.

Follow up FAQs:
Nope, didn't leave the bike or anything.
The only point of contact was his bumper--front passenger corner--and my left foot.
No, I didn't consider stealing the peach. (No one's brought that up yet??)
I was rolling at 10 mph or so--construction on the road surface and approaching an intersection.
I have no clue how he saw it. I agree with whoever surmised that that sort of line is stock for whatever he does for a living.
Duke Horn--Dupont, at 20th and P.
No, seriously, no thought of peach stealing.

Kevan
10-18-2007, 07:45 AM
the guy hit you intentionally, what with how the positioning of you two played out and his cocky response.

It wasn't Cheney by any chance, was it?

Glad your personal event was without getting hurt.

The comment from Louis, about riders being hit by cars, a question: does having your elbow brushed by a camper truck count? I mean...I didn't fall or get hurt, but the vehicle came right along side of me and my elbow literally brushed along its side as they passed me by. Am I good for many more years?

Steelhead
10-18-2007, 07:49 AM
No, I didn't consider stealing the peach. (No one's brought that up yet??)

???

Fixed
10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
bro that cat didn't know who he was messin with . glad you' r okay .
cheers imho

Too Tall
10-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Thank g-d you are ok. The metropolitan environment seems to foster tension, impatience and anger in people who otherwise are only annyoying ;) Keep it tight bro. Takes an adult sense of proportion to leave the *peach ...way to go. *Although, I wonder if he even had em'? Wouldn't that be a beach...your reach and all yah get is air. :rolleyes:

BURCH
10-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Glad the you and the bike were ok. That is funny about the passerby being worried about the legend.

Any chance that this motorist didn't think that he hit you. I mean if he hit you foot, but you didn't go down do you think he figured he never touched you?

In no way does this question take blame off of this idiot or remove disgust from his response. I am just curious if this could be possible.

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Fly

I am so happy you are ok !!!! ;) :p :) :beer: .

I was devastated when I opened your post!

God Bless my friend !!!!!

93legendti
10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Glad you're ok!

Tom
10-18-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm glad to hear you are unscathed, for the most part.

gt6267a
10-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Flyd, glad to hear it wasn’t even a flesh wound. I would save the peach stealing for the next time the douche hits you.

Not that you would ever do this, but I imagine you commuting with a camcorder on your back or attached to your bike. You scream out, “I’m on your left!” as you pass the guy … he guns it hitting you … you inquire about him hitting you … he says I don’t see it that way (which is amazing, in a **special** kind of way) … you respond, “hmm, really, let’s look at the tape” … he then steals your camcorder and drives over it 20 times with his range rover … at which point you ask “why drive over the camcorder if you didn’t hit me?” … to which his only realistic response is something like “I’m having a bad hair day and didn’t want that on tape”

Anyhoo, glad you are ok.

Keith

Ray
10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
No, seriously, no thought of peach stealing.
Maybe you could somehow just raise interest rates for HIM. By a LOT! I'm sure you financial types have your WAYS! :cool:

-Ray

fiamme red
10-18-2007, 09:47 AM
I've been knocked off the bike three times this year: twice by cabs, once by a private car. The last time, a cab knocked me down, then ran over my front wheel. :crap:

Thankfully, I was wearing a helmet each time.

Wait, come to think of it, I was not wearing a helmet on two of those occasions. :confused:

Len J
10-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, if you are going to be hit......that's not a bad result.

Glad you were OK.........

Also glad there was a witness.

Len

72gmc
10-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Glad you are OK. My first reaction to your news was a sweeping generalization about Range Rover owners, based solely on what I see here in Seattle. But I'll save the offense for those who need offending.

Bud
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
First and foremost, glad to hear you're OK. What a sad individual this guy must be. Second, I commend you on your rational reaction to the situation. In my opinion, there is never a reason for violent confrontation. Your post-collision reactions sounded completely appropriate given the situation.

Take care-

djg
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
"I don't see it that way" sounds like it came either from a lawyer (Range Rover and DC support that) or from someone who is used to situations in which people deny deny deny (politician, PR firm honcho, or other habitual blame shifter). I don't think there's any chance he did not actually see it that way, only that he was using a situational tactic (in his view of the world).

Yeah, a range rover driving up 20th street in downtown dc ... could maybe, possibly be a lawyer, but without knowing more I wouldn't guess there's much more than a 95% chance that's right. So if he's a lawyer, he probably remembers something about admissions from torts class if not elsewhere, and figures he cannot say anything which reasonably could be construed as an admission of fault. Still, he's scum, of course, both for the sort of driving that could just as easily have killed poor fly (there's that fine line between a slow bounce into a bumper and a slow roll under the wheels) and also for trying to avoid responsibility after the fact (which he could take without admitting fault or being incautious).

I nearly got hit today while riding and thinking about this very event, albeit in Arlington near Key Bridge, not in DC. I was crossing an intersection -- with the light -- in part seeing that the driver in the far turning lane had stopped to let me by and there was a good gap in the next closest lane (two lanes can turn at this particular intersection). Some guy behind the stoppped driver got aggravated by the incredible two second delay, made a sharp move to come around her in a very wide arc, and gunned it. I wasn't going that fast, and I was able to stop into a track stand a good two feet off the guy's careening bumper. Two feet was plenty, but it all seemed pretty dodgy for a second there. No harm done, I got a momentarily elevated heart rate and our fine driver got an avian salute. Ride safe folks. I'm glad that flydhest is ok ... and the bike of course.

tch
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
But Fly -- you Da Man!!!!
Great example of how to hold it together and seize the moral and situational high ground. You provide a model of calm, rational, no-backing-down, self-assertion. I only hope you haven't had to learn this approach by too much experience.

Clearly, you offer a role model in a variety of ways.

Bill Bove
10-18-2007, 12:41 PM
"I don't see it that way" :confused: :confused: :confused:

No written report :confused: The guy hit you on purpose fer cripes sake. I would have demanded a report be written up for my attornies to review for possible action.

Glad your O.K.

JonnyComeLately
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
As much as I love cycling, I find that I have very little patience for people who don't give cyclists respect on the roads. Even though I know that the best course is almost always to walk (or ride) away from a problem, I find myself yelling or giving djg's avian salute more frequently that I do in my non-cycling life. (One observation is that this almost always happens in the context of my bike commute to and from work, and almost never during my weekend rides in the countryside. City drivers?)

I think your reaction in this situation was ideal, and hope I'll be able to react so coolly in my dealings with idiot drivers.

PaulE
10-18-2007, 01:55 PM
It wasn't Cheney by any chance, was it?

If he runs into you again (or if you run into him again, depending on how one sees it), don't accept an invitation to go quail hunting with him.

BumbleBeeDave
10-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Let me add my voice to the chorus that I am SO glad you are OK!

Both times I've been down that way riding with you folks, I've found myself wondering if there are more self-important arrogant drivers on the road around DC simply because of the government being there, all of the diplomats around who have "immunity" etc. Totally unproveable, of course . . . but it sounds like you may well have had an encounter with one of them.

I'd be curious to know just what kind of bureaucrat or whatever this guy really is to act that way. What. A. Scumbag. I know you know plenty of people and have the guy's license number . . . you could find out! . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

Serotta PETE
10-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Really glad you are ok (as well as the bike - althought that would be a good "excuse" for a new one :D

Cop should have questioned his eyesight - - you are not exactly a small fellow.

Good news besides you being ok is that there was a doctor and a few bottles of red in the house.... :beer:

PETE

bozman
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
really admire your calculated response and especially your self-control...

+1

Glad you are ok.

keno
10-18-2007, 03:00 PM
when some refer to a calculated response they haven't a clue 'bout you. You know I loves you, relieved you're OK, concerned about my travel bike, am old enough to be your grandpa or great grandpa in certain parts of West VA, but not likely to have been, and surprised you did not utter:

"Move over Rover, and let flydhest take over" rather than "Let me stand in front of your bumper."

Ray
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
when some refer to a calculated response they haven't a clue 'bout you. You know I loves you, relieved you're OK, concerned about my travel bike, am old enough to be your grandpa or great grandpa in certain parts of West VA, but not likely to have been, and surprised you did not utter:

"Move over Rover, and let flydhest take over" rather than "Let me stand in front of your bumper."
Yeah, what happened to the "Let's ROCK and ROLL!" - that woulda gotten his attention.

-Ray

wooly
10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Glad to hear you're okay. Make's you appreciate like a bit more, huh?

manet
10-18-2007, 03:41 PM
sew fly, wa'did norman look like

Pete Serotta
10-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I always know you had a history in West VA :D