PDA

View Full Version : Ottusi saddle on a vintage Colnago

10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
This isn't my bike (too big for me), but it's quite interesting. The one thing that really caught my attention was the Ottusi saddle. This is a Brooks that was disassembled, the frame was reshaped to a more comfortable version, and the leather was softened. Then the saddle was reassembled with large rivets and the leathersmith stamped his brand on the rivets. This was not uncommon among saddles ridden by the major stars of the day and they usually had to pay for the work themselves. Interesting that it ends up here. When we talk about trimming a Brooks saddle, this is what I wish we could find someone to do. I'd ride a leather saddle again if someone could do this kind of job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Colnago-70s-racing-bicycle-with-OTTUSI-saddle_W0QQitemZ120172171573QQihZ002QQcategoryZ980 84QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bironi
10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I love the way the rivets blend with the leather. The seat post is cool also. :beer:

Polyglot
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Didn't the last Ottusi saddle that came up on ebay sell for over $500?

Grant McLean
10-18-2007, 07:59 AM
I saw that by on Ebay myself yesterday.

Check out that seatpost! that's some of the coolest pantographing i've ever seen.
Quite rare 4 hole model front derailleur too.
Sweet bike.

-g

Kevan
10-18-2007, 08:23 AM
before there was such a thing.

thwart
10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Most "classic bikes" are overpriced on eBay, atmo. That one is probably worth the asking price...

J.Greene
10-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Most "classic bikes" are overpriced on eBay, atmo. That one is probably worth the asking price...

Thwart,

not trying to start a flame here but why is that your opinion. I'm curious because many of my pals across hall would disagree.

JG

sspielman
10-18-2007, 08:41 AM
If the item sells, it is not overpriced...the value of an object is what somebody is willing to pay.....

10-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Quick! Some leg extenders!

There are lots of bikes out there that are like bad antiques -- the right period but no provenance and frankly, just not good pieces of work. Someone better than me would have to validate the frame, but I owned a beautiful white Colnago (in my size) in the same vintage and had a sequence of frames built basically to emulate it -- one from Richard, even one from Mario Confente (uncompleted at the time of his death). I can't see overpaying for a beat-up or modified or questionable example of a great bike but this one sure looks good. And when you see an Ottusi saddle you suspect you're onto something special.

Grant, would this fit you? To be properly vintage you'd have less seatpost showing and the stem closer to level with the saddle.

Yum.

manet
10-18-2007, 02:33 PM
what r those long pointy blue things?

Fixed
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
11.4 thanks for all your info your post are great right to meat . thanks i learn something every time i read your post .
cheers

Grant McLean
10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Quick! Some leg extenders!
Grant, would this fit you? To be properly vintage you'd have less seatpost showing and the stem closer to level with the saddle.

Yum.

Still too big for me, or i'd have to smash the piggy bank for sure.
In terms of pricing, $1900 is a steal. This is a very nice example
from the era. Colnago's are uneven quality at best in this period,
and the lugwork on this one looks as good as i've seen for the
late 70's. Very low miles too.

-g

Polyglot
10-26-2007, 10:06 AM
This bike disappeared off of ebay just before the auction was to end. Apparently, the seller's ebay account got hacked. I wonder if he is going to relist? The last that I saw was that the bike was bid up to $2475.00

I've bought things from the fellow in the past, his name is Thomas. He seems like a serious fellow.