PDA

View Full Version : OK - the armadilo's are killing me...

Dekonick
07-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Advice on good 700c x 23, comfortable, training tires that are pretty puncture resistant.

Thought the DKS would be enough but the A's are stone age in feel. Ill use them for climbing training.

Thanks in advance!

bcm119
07-16-2004, 05:12 PM
I tried the Armadillos once too, they were even too horrible for my commuter- feel like they're filled with sand. They flatted as often as any other tire too.

I like the Michelin Carbons for a puncture resistant trainer. Decent suppleness, not too expensive.

rnhood
07-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I am using Continental's Force/Attack with very good luck, even at 80-100 lbs. Very good ride and with no flats yet.

IXXI
07-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Yep. Michelin Carbons -> excellent wearability, puncture resistance and are still actually very rideable unlike the Armadillos. Make sure you've got fresh tubes in em and you're good to go.

OilyFish
07-16-2004, 05:55 PM
OK, whilst not 23's, which I swore by for years and still use for summer and good roads.

Axial carbon 25's - did some Roubaixesque pots and scram in Mallorca this spring and whilst everyone else was hopping, sliding and chucking out the anchors we just rolled on by lifting our a$$ out of the saddle as prudence dictated. (Others were on 23 contiaxstuff...)

No flats in 650k of 1 week of joy.

Bring on the sun and no street parties (glass) then back to the Michelin Pros.

Seriously though, I'm struggling to find a real differences at my "club" speed.

OF.

Bill Bove
07-16-2004, 06:41 PM
I really like the Bontrager Race X Lite and Race Lite. 700x25 Race Lites on trainers, 23c Race X Lite on the fast wheels. Absolutely the most comfortable tires I've ridden, very supple and puncture resistant due to their very high thread count. They may not be the longest wearing tire but they wear long rnough and even if they didn't, their comfort and reliability would more than make up for it.

Ken Robb
07-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Vredestein Fortezza or Conti Ultragatorskins have done well for me.

Kevan
07-16-2004, 06:46 PM
18 different directions asking such questions, but my guess is a basic Conti might be your solution. There are better performers but often they lack the wearwithal [sic] you seek.

Dekonick
07-16-2004, 07:18 PM
I rode armodillo's for years and never had trouble like this set - they must have changed them. Talk about concrete.

I love the feel of michlin ironman's - but they flat too easy.

Thanks for the advice - think its time for some carbon's -

-oh 25's wont fit my frame. 23's are pushing it as it is.

Went for 25 miles after I posted this thread and thought my arse was gonna bleed. Rode like crap - slow (but there were headwinds), and painful.

Gotta change em tomorrow...

anyone want some armodillo's cheap? (evil grin)

BillyBear
07-16-2004, 10:18 PM
conti ultragatorskins are pretty tough

Ahneida Ride
07-17-2004, 05:53 AM
My Conti Grand Prix had sidewall issues. Plenty of rubber left, but thread was
showing on sidewalls. Reviewers at Roadbikereview.com express similar
concerns.

froze
07-18-2004, 12:44 AM
I think some posters have NEVER tried something and they just make remarks! Armadillos DO NOT flat just like any other tire!!

Now as far as the rough feeling two things come to mind; first how much do you weigh, and two how much air pressure are you putting in? If your under 165 then you should put about 90 in the front and 105 in the rear; if your over 210 then go max of 125 on rear and 115 on front; otherwise if your weight is somewhere in between then split those.

These tires will be a bit harsher riding then racing tires because racing tires have paper thin sidewalls that absorb some of the road shock. The Armadillos have a tough sidewall with flat resistent belt running in it to prevent sidewall flats and it works. The flat resistent belt in the tread is the best on the market. I use to live in the Mojave desert of California and ran over goatheads by the billions as well as thistles dropped off of tumble weeds by the trillions, and ran over glass breaking the glass as I go and never had a flat. Before I got the Armadillo's I tried about over a dozen different brands that all promised some sort of flat protection that never worked and averaged 4 flats a week!! When your commuting that can be a real bother. I even tried Mt Tuffy's, but then stuff would hit the sidewalls ripping through. DON'T use Slime tubes in road bikes they don't work over 65PSI. And those dozen tires before being fatally damaged lasted 65 miles for the shortest life tire to 755 for the longest. The Armadillos last till they wear out, and they last a long time.

If you don't have the kind of road crap I had to deal with then Conti makes a tire called the 4 Seasons that does have a light flat resistent belt that extends from the tread into the sidewall, plus 2 more in the tread-but these are nearly $50 each. But all the other Conti's including the Gatorskin are paper thin sidewalls and subject to easy damage. The 4 Seasons is basically a beefed up Gatorskin.

If you stay with the Armadillo, keep in mind these are not racing tires, but rather commuting, light touring and training in area where there debris. Then buy a set of racing tires and use them for racing purposes...if your racing.

shinomaster
07-18-2004, 01:38 AM
Just get what ever is on sale at either Nashbar or Performance for $20.00!!!

Like Vredestein tricomp for $25.00 @ NAshbar, or Hutchinson carbon pro for $19.00 at Performance bike...

Who cares...It will just get trashed and need to be replaced in a year or less anyway!!

Yawn,

Shinomaster

shaq-d
07-18-2004, 01:42 AM
vittoria rubino pro's are doing me fine, 1500+kms, not a single flat, and they still look and feel great. nice light tire too.

sd

shinomaster
07-18-2004, 01:52 AM
yes! Rubino Pro tires are just dandy!! Not $ 60.00 either!

good choice!

pbbob
07-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Just get what ever is on sale at either Nashbar or Performance for $20.00!!!

Like Vredestein tricomp for $25.00 @ NAshbar, or Hutchinson carbon pro for $19.00 at Performance bike...

Who cares...It will just get trashed and need to be replaced in a year or less anyway!!

Yawn,

Shinomaster
Irc triathlon road 12.95. I still use these. they work. they fit like a 23. can't trust the listed size usually.

Andreu
07-18-2004, 01:08 PM
I cannot believe that anyone would complain about Armadillos....I used them in the UK for about 4 years for training purposes....in the south east of England the roads are full of flints (stones sharp as s**t - I know s**t isn't very sharp but these stones eat tyres for a laugh before breakfast)....it is not unusual to get 3 or sometimes 4 punctures on a group ride....I actually had 4 punctures one particularly wet winters day. I still have these tyres in my bike bag and could be used again as there is enough rubber on them.

The compromise: OK not good for racing, heavy and roll like a wet sack o' spuds but if you want something to get through the winters I would buy these. And when you get on your good racing bike you will feel like your flying. In fact that they would be terrible for racing but who wants to change tyres in the wind and sleet when its minus 3°C?
I say try 'em.
A

Dekonick
07-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks again for responses.
Armodillos dont flat much from what I remember about them - Think ill try letting out a little pressure and try em. Been riding at 125 psi and I weigh @185 - that might be my problem.

I dont mind an occasional flat - just have had a bad week. Flat, change to spare tube, stem breaks. Ruined ride for me.

bought new dillos; no flats just hard ride. The Conti gators are getting lots of + responses; ill try em. Its only a problem where I like to climb as all of the hills have a base along a river that overflows and dumps crap all over the road. It went over its banks a week or so ago and I think thats the big risk.

Changing a flat is not a big deal; its changing a flat, then having your spare go kaput. Just been a bad week is all.

Thx again!