PDA

View Full Version : OT: Broadband data from a wireless provider

saab2000
10-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I am thinking of getting a broadband thingie for my computer. This will allow me to not get a Wi-Fi thing at home and will allow me to use my computer anywhere there is a cellular signal.

It will about $20-$30 more per month over just getting internet with either a landline or cable, but has the advantage of near-universal coverage. I have heard the speed is adequate for most usage if you are not gaming or something like that.

The cost seems to be $59.99/month at all the providers. It requires me to plug in a little thing to the USB port on my Apple iBook G4.

Thoughts? Warnings? I know about stems and handlebars and saddles, but not much about computers.

Do tell! Please.

maunahaole
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Research your providers carefully. Some are better than others. There is one local wireless broadband provider here that people are fleeing en masse.

saab2000
10-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Research your providers carefully. Some are better than others. There is one local wireless broadband provider here that people are fleeing en masse.

Which one?

I need a cell phone because of my job. That is not an option. I am thinking of Alltel because of their "circle" thingie where you can designate 10 numbers and call them all you want.

They also offer the data plan at the same cost as the others.

So I am thinking of switching from AT&T.

But I don't need to switch both. I could get one service from one and one from another.

Tell me what the word on the street is, 'cuz I only know torsional rigidity in lugged steel frames. And a couple of things regarding visual approaches at night in Sarejevo. But regarding wireless I need to be educated.

Do tell.

shanerpvt
10-16-2007, 10:13 PM
i have had good luck with Sprint in Central Texas - my dad doesn't seem to have the same satisfaction with cingular. it's not smokin fast, but it's serviceable.

i think it will depend on who offers reliable service in your area.

good luck,
shaner

maunahaole
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm doing some quick research here....

Look here:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/138096/business_buyers_guide_to_mobile_broadband.html

and here:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Top-Performing-Wireless-Networks-88484

maybe for a start. Do you plan on using the service in europe as well as GR?

saab2000
10-17-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm doing some quick research here....

Look here:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/138096/business_buyers_guide_to_mobile_broadband.html

and here:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Top-Performing-Wireless-Networks-88484

maybe for a start. Do you plan on using the service in europe as well as GR?

Thanks for the links. I do not plan to use the service in Europe. It is extremely expensive to do the international plans.

I used to have a phone and service from Swisscom and it was worldwide, etc. And it was much cheaper to use in the US than a US phone is to use in Europe.

Pete Serotta
10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
The services are not too fast and just as cell phone reception can be spotty. Additionally at one time one of the services was not APPLE compatible. (no I do not understand that but make sure it will work with the APPLE>)

Another option since you are around airports is to check T-MOBILE service and one of the services allow you for a fix fee to tie into the service at A/P Borders. etc...

Let us know how you make out for this is a topic us travelers are always looking for "a better way"

PETE

saab2000
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
The services are not too fast and just as cell phone reception can be spotty. Additionally at one time one of the services was not APPLE compatible. (no I do not understand that but make sure it will work with the APPLE>)

Another option since you are around airports is to check T-MOBILE service and one of the services allow you for a fix fee to tie into the service at A/P Borders. etc...

Let us know how you make out for this is a topic us travelers are always looking for "a better way"

PETE

This isn't going to be just for travelling. This will be in lieu of having service at home with the bonus of being able to use it anywhere else I get reception too.

No more looking for hotspots. Use it in the park. Use it in the car (when someone else is driving....:D). Use it on the plane when on a 2-hour ground hold going somewhere (probably La Guardia). Etc.

I am leaning towards Alltel. But this might be another month or so. We'll see....

TimD
10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
The CDMA service, which goes by the industry name "Evolution Data Optimized", or EvDO (Revision 0), is slower or about the same speed (at peak rate) than is an 802.11b (never mind 'g' or 'n') WiFi connection. As with digital cellular voice service, delivered "quality" (in this case, goodput) varies. You should expect a couple of hundred Kbps, generally, or about the same as a xDSL or Data-over-Cable connection during prime surfing hours, but slower than FIOS.

Older, CDMA 3G 1X data service, which can be delivered through a mobile voice handset connection, is slower still - 56 Kbps.

North American carriers include Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular, MetroPCS and (in Canada) Telus. AT&T / Cingular and T-Mobile use different radio technology (GSM) but may have high-speed mobile packet data service available or on the way.

EvDO does work, it is mobile, and it is widely available - but it isn't available everywhere. Anywhere (and under the same conditions) you have poor digital CDMA cellular reception you will have poor EvDO service. It may work, but it will be slow. In particular, your indoor reception may not be that great, depending on how far you live from the cell site, what your house is built with, where you are located in said house, and what the atmospheric conditions are at the time. Trials of EvDO Revision A service have started, which ultimately will support delivery of multiple classes of service (higher-speed data, voice, streaming advertisements disguised as entertainment) to mobile subscribers. Handsets and software are still some ways off; I'd guess a year or two.

This stuff is a big part of what I do when I'm not out riding... :)

Pete Serotta
10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Tim, thanks for the info. PETE

The CDMA service, which goes by the industry name "Evolution Data Optimized", or EvDO (Revision 0), is slower or about the same speed (at peak rate) than is an 802.11b (never mind 'g' or 'n') WiFi connection. As with digital cellular voice service, delivered "quality" (in this case, goodput) varies. You should expect a couple of hundred Kbps, generally, or about the same as a xDSL or Data-over-Cable connection during prime surfing hours, but slower than FIOS.

Ol

davep
10-17-2007, 04:37 PM
I have two friends with the Verizon broadband crad, and they are happy with the speed and availability. When I was doing some research a couple years ago Mac support was very uneven. And since you have an older Mac it may be even worse now. YMMV.

Bradford
10-17-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm using one now, sitting in O'Hare waiting for a 5:45 back to Denver. Since I travel for a living, my company pays the monthly bill, so I have this for the road and VDSL at home.

The signal will vary depending on location. Some spots, like the Denver airport, are so good they rival my corporate wired connection. Some are so slow I shut the computer down and don't bother. Most are somewhere in the middle--fast enough to use, slow enough that I always use the hotel wifi or my client's network when available.

Homsie
10-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Older, CDMA 3G 1X data service, which can be delivered through a mobile voice handset connection, is slower still - 56 Kbps.

North American carriers include Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular, MetroPCS and (in Canada) Telus. AT&T / Cingular and T-Mobile use different radio technology (GSM) but may have high-speed mobile packet data service available or on the way.

EvDO does work, it is mobile, and it is widely available - but it isn't available everywhere. Anywhere (and under the same conditions) you have poor digital CDMA cellular reception you will have poor EvDO service. It may work, but it will be slow. In particular, your indoor reception may not be that great, depending on how far you live from the cell site, what your house is built with, where you are located in said house, and what the atmospheric conditions are at the time. Trials of EvDO Revision A service have started, which ultimately will support delivery of multiple classes of service (higher-speed data, voice, streaming advertisements disguised as entertainment) to mobile subscribers. Handsets and software are still some ways off; I'd guess a year or two.

This stuff is a big part of what I do when I'm not out riding... :)

Verizon Wireless' entire EVDO network is already Rev. A. The advertised speed is 600 kbps to 1.4 Mbps downlink and 500 kbps to 800 kbps upload.

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/coveragearea.html

They have not started offering multiple classes of service (VoIP, PTT, etc.) over their EVDO Rev. A network, though.

James

Too Tall
10-18-2007, 06:54 AM
+1 Verizon CDMA. I use blackberry "tethered modem" all over the country and it' is excellent.

1happygirl
10-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Saab,

I did what you did almost a year ago. No home broadband, I use my card with my G4 everywhere (including my living room). Love it and it was the best decision for me with multiple residences and my nomadic lifestyle. I use the verizon kyocera card with my PCMCIA slot on the G4 laptop. It works great. Verizon has rocked for me with the wireless internet card. You are right also. It does cost me more than the regular broadband but is not appreciably slower in the big cities. In small towns, I am still able to get coverage, but albeit slower. $59.99 + taxes average about $68. This is my experience, fwiw.

PS If you use a wireless phone as a modem:
1. I'm not sure it will work with the Apple
2. I'm thinking when I researched it you can't receive phone calls at the same time, making the phone not useable. This wouldn't work for me as I need to look stuff up on line and discuss.
3. Never a problem with my trusty G4 and the verizon setup. Had altell in the past, but for phone only, no wireless internet. I switched, so that should tell ya something.

saab2000
10-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Saab,

I did what you did almost a year ago. No home broadband, I use my card with my G4 everywhere (including my living room). Love it and it was the best decision for me with multiple residences and my nomadic lifestyle. I use the verizon kyocera card with my PCMCIA slot on the G4 laptop. It works great. Verizon has rocked for me with the wireless internet card. You are right also. It does cost me more than the regular broadband but is not appreciably slower in the big cities. In small towns, I am still able to get coverage, but albeit slower. $59.99 + taxes average about $68. This is my experience, fwiw.

2. I'm thinking when I researched it you can't receive phone calls at the same time, making the phone not useable. This wouldn't work for me as I need to look stuff up on line and discuss.

Thanks! That is exactly the kind of report I needed. I am almost certainly going to do this. The only question remains about whether or not to switch from AT&T to Alltel.

Thanks!

Homsie
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Saab,

3. Never a problem with my trusty G4 and the verizon setup. Had altell in the past, but for phone only, no wireless internet. I switched, so that should tell ya something.

All of the handsets that Verizon Wirelss sells that are EVDO capable are currently only REV. 0. Most, if not all of the PC cards (no voice capability) are REV. A. That means that if you're using a handset and tethering it to your PC, you'll be using their REV. 0 network which is great for downloading, but a bit slower than their REV. A network for uploading. BTW, if you are tethered and you get a call on your handset, it will ring and you can answer it. Your data call will be inactive until you end your call and it should come back once you end your call (I believe that data call goes dormant until your voice call ends, then it should come back up).

James

TimD
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Verizon Wireless' entire EVDO network is already Rev. A. The advertised speed is 600 kbps to 1.4 Mbps downlink and 500 kbps to 800 kbps upload.

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/coveragearea.html

They have not started offering multiple classes of service (VoIP, PTT, etc.) over their EVDO Rev. A network, though.

James

Not to take away from VzW's leadership here, but don't believe everything you read on the web. It is out there, but not everywhere.

Homsie
10-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Not to take away from VzW's leadership here, but don't believe everything you read on the web. It is out there, but not everywhere.

Tim, point well taken, but most advertised throughput rates must be able to be substantiated (read the fine print!!). As with all wireless (cellular)data services, your throughput is dependant on a number of items including coverage, number of users, technology air interface, backhaul, etc.. Your best bet is to try a service from a provider in the area you are going to do it and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, most providers have some sort of period where you can back out of your agreement. Terms vary, though, so research carefully!

James

1happygirl
10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
All of the handsets that Verizon Wirelss sells that are EVDO capable are currently only REV. 0. Most, if not all of the PC cards (no voice capability) are REV. A. That means that if you're using a handset and tethering it to your PC, you'll be using their REV. 0 network which is great for downloading, but a bit slower than their REV. A network for uploading. BTW, if you are tethered and you get a call on your handset, it will ring and you can answer it. Your data call will be inactive until you end your call and it should come back once you end your call (I believe that data call goes dormant until your voice call ends, then it should come back up).

James

Hello all:

Hey, I'm usually very technical, but in this case I was happy to find something STABLE that worked with my Apple.
It could be a little slower than broadband, but it works EVERYWHERE!
The above quote was kinda my point, if I'm doing a, "Hey check this out" real time look at the internet stuff with my buds, I wouldn't be able to with the tethered phone without terminating the call. I think as recent as May/June I called Verizon tech support level 3 and they told me the same, but I dunno. I can call several times and get several different answers!

slowgoing
10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
In my experience, the reception of the cards vary even with the same service provider. I had the standard one that Verizon issues and found the reception spotty. I followed the advice of several people in the industry and bought another card that had an external antennae, and it gets much better reception. This is probably oudated information now that new cards out there (the EVDO rev A cards).

1happygirl
10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
In my experience, the reception of the cards vary even with the same service provider. I had the standard one that Verizon issues and found the reception spotty. I followed the advice of several people in the industry and bought another card that had an external antennae, and it gets much better reception. This is probably oudated information now that new cards out there (the EVDO rev A cards).

Oh yeah, I forgot. My wireless card does have the external antenna. One of the downsides to the metal powerbook G4 (even by Apple's admission I think) is the metal case had a tendency to block reception-in the built-in wireless definetely. My plastic Apple without a pcmcia card gets much better wireless coverage, but must be at a hotspot obviously. So yeah that is an important thing. This was the only card I have owned. When I take care of a few more things, Leopard comes out in a few days, would like to get a new Apple laptop.

KeithS
10-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Yet another opinion. I'm in the telecom business too, just kinda down the road and around the corner from this stuff. Been selling PBX's for 20 years or so. I have found several things to be truisms when it comes to these technologies. First of all - cell phones are just sophisticated two way radios. Buy a cell phone that works really good where you're going to use it. I have a cell phone that works really well when I'm driving down the freeway. I have been on the phone driving from Minneapolis to Omaha and never roamed or lost signal. But when I cut cross country (non freeway) I was roaming or without signal for hours. Lesson learned.

ClearWire is a company whose business model is around underserved tier 2 or 3 markets. Smaller markets that don't have as complete (or as competitive or available) wired broadband networks. Here in Minnesota they aren't in Mpls/St. Paul but they are in St. Cloud, Duluth and Rochester. Craig McCaw is the money behind it and he has made a lot of money on the voice side of the business. Sprint is investing very heavily in this technology too. Used a coworkers Verizon connection the other day to change a reservation while riding from Schaumburg to Ohare. Worked really great, was really fast. Didn't get the standby seat, but I'm over it now. If you have good connectivity in GR I would start with that and then look at their coverage map, if the places you go are there, you're in. Wireless Broadband is making this the old west that cellular was 10 or 15 years ago, all kinds of proprietary seperation between networks. Like we like to call it in my business, the good old days. It's just going to get faster and cheaper.