PDA

View Full Version : Weekend ride report . . . by someone else

flydhest
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
So, the shop ride that I lead had a visitor two weeks ago. A young fella who is a writer for the WashPost's younger/hipper/commuter spinoff, the Express.

http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/2007/10/fit_a_fleet_full_of_fitness.php

my favorite part . . . "groupies." We must be doing something right, because he came back for more rides with us.

Pete Serotta
10-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I think he wrote the article because Mi. your better half, was on the ride :D :D

but that is a very nice thing you are doing for the riders.. :beer:

Too Tall
10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
At the risk of having what I'm about to say interpreted as severely biased...

What Flyhedst and good guy shop co-owner Chuck H. have created is nothing less that what needed to be done. I've known Chuck for about 20 yrs. and he has wanted to open a shop most of that time when he finally "pulled the trigger" we (Fly, myself and Chuck) talked alot things needed "essentially" to be successful..guess what that ONE element was? Shop Mojo. Yeah baby...yeah. Create an atmosphere where people want to be involved, bring their friends to hang out and provide really really good service (the mechanics are aces).

Fly is the driving force behind creation and guidance of a really wonderful thing...a REAL LIVE training ride. You sir rawk :)

OMG :)

Pete Serotta
10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes he does "rawk" . Mr. Fly is a class act and a man with a large heart!!!!

manet
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
hillefors... that makes manet giggle.

flydhest
10-16-2007, 08:24 PM
man-et . . . that's like the diminutive form of man, right?

TooTall, mojo is where it's at, baby. Some here have heard me complain about bike shops in DC in the past and I wanted to be part of a shop that was going to bring it all together.

All-y'all in the DC area are invited to come out for the ride. If you're close but not that close (Ray, Len, . . . etc) you're welcome to crash at our house the evening before and come out for the ride.

manet
10-16-2007, 08:27 PM
man-et . . . that's like the diminutive form of man, right?

... from the canadian inquisitor

BumbleBeeDave
10-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Seth was just great on that Sunday ride outta Smiley's last year--until he had that gallon-size espresso at the "Jolt And Bolt!" :eek:

BBD

saab2000
10-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Flydhest has invited me personally. And Too Tall endorses it. All the convincing I need!

Gotta go do this ride! And see this place.

djg
10-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Nice article but having read it, I'm feeling a little cheated. I showed up a while back and flydhest didn't give me any tips.

It really is a nice group ride and flydhest does a very good job marshalling folks of different abilities and keeping the back of the group from getting dumped. It's also very welcoming of newcomers.

flydhest
10-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Nice article but having read it, I'm feeling a little cheated. I showed up a while back and flydhest didn't give me any tips.

I just got back from a bris . . . I got a tip for you.

Fixed
10-17-2007, 08:36 AM
bro when i'm there next summer can i tag along with you cats ? .
cheers

Too Tall
10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Absolutely not :rolleyes:

Don't tease man. When are you in town and how long?

zap
10-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Fly does a good job. Now we just need him to hand over the reigns to his better half for the return trip so that he can go on the extended version. Everyone is relaxed and even though we hammer at times on the extended version, we ease up and regroup.

This coming Sundays ride should be special. Chuck is taking the extended group out further for a total distance of around 80 miles.

Sandy
10-17-2007, 10:13 AM

One must remember to give the rabbi a tip for the tip. :rolleyes:

Sandy

Ray
10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I might show up some weekend, but I'll give plenty of notice. More likely next spring - pretty booked till the holidays and I'm turning into a winter wimp. It would be worth it to hear Fly (who always SEEMED like a relatively quiet feller to me) YELL "let's Rock and Roll!"

Seriously, sounds like you're doing a fine thing down there. I'm not huge on pace lines but I love social rides. That sounds like a real nice combination of the two.

-Ray

Fixed
10-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Absolutely not :rolleyes:

Don't tease man. When are you in town and how long?
I will know soon, got to book my son in a summer progame in d.c. .

djg
10-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Thanks Seth. When I have three or four I can make a wallet that, when you rub it, turns into a messenger bag ...

thank you, thank you, you've been a great audience ...

Too Tall
10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks Seth. When I have three or four I can make a wallet that, when you rub it, turns into a messenger bag ...

thank you, thank you, you've been a great audience ...

Spectacles, XXXticles, Wallet and watch. I pray for your immoral soul :rolleyes: