PDA

View Full Version : Rapha in North America - "Rapha Continental"

rsl
10-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow, as always, Rapha has managed to put together something that gives the cyclist in me chills.

Check this out:

http://www.rapha.cc/continental/

rsl
10-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah, and congratulations to Ira Ryan. He's one of Rapha's North American epic riders. Man, that must be a great job. I've never met the guy, but he seems pretty cool. I've I'm not mistaken he does some really inspiring stuff with bikes and Africa. I'd post the link but I'm supposed to be working...

justinf
10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I was just looking at that site too, it's badass really. I love their aesthetic and what they do. Anyone want to jump on one of those rides with me?

Too Tall
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Oh he!! yeah Justin :) I'm "better" now. All done with PBP etc. for now. These real rides have my attention bub. When I got The Vanilla road bike it changed my world. Now I can fit 32 mm tyres I've got the ability to wander woo hoo. Last Sunday's Iron Cross is only 60 miles with 7k of climbing however it really captures the adventure(s) I am looking for of late. Yeah fer sher keep this thought alive.

PS - why does Rapha hate me?

dauwhe
10-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Nice kit, and the idea is cool, but it seems rather macho:

It was harder then, too. Not more difficult, just harder. So much of cycling these days, and certainly contemporary racing, lacks the variables essential to a real experience: hunger, terrain, broken equipment, flat tires, shot wheels, waning sanity, fading daylight, weather, locals, unmarked and/or unimproved roads and whatever else that makes a ride, a real ride. Those variables and challenges cause suffering. And suffering is the whole point. It’s what transforms and commutes and delivers the goods. Glory requires the complete dirty, visceral and real experience.

The Rapha Continental is our commitment to the lost art of cycling and to glory through suffering.

I'll grant them weather, unknown roads, darkness, and rough pavement as aids to adventure. But I'm happy that my gear rarely breaks. And the suffering caused by hunger does not ennoble my soul, or make the ride more memorable. It's just plain misery, so I carry food, or stop and eat.

"Faster and sexier than randonneuring"? They must not know the right people.

Why aren't there any women on their team?

Dave

coylifut
10-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh he!! yeah Justin :) I'm "better" now. All done with PBP etc. for now. These real rides have my attention bub. When I got The Vanilla road bike it changed my world. Now I can fit 32 mm tyres I've got the ability to wander woo hoo. Last Sunday's Iron Cross is only 60 miles with 7k of climbing however it really captures the adventure(s) I am looking for of late. Yeah fer sher keep this thought alive.

PS - why does Rapha hate me?

you william and i did the super short version las December. come on out this summer. we'll connect with these cats and tag a long.

big shanty
10-16-2007, 01:00 PM
The bottom right is a photo of Ira Ryan. He and Aaron Erbeck (Seattle-based framebuilder and racer) are two of the primary "Rapha USA" folks doing and documenting these epic rides for Rapha.

Ginger
10-16-2007, 01:14 PM

"Faster and sexier than randonneuring"? They must not know the right people.

Why aren't there any women on their team?

Dave[/QUOTE]

Yeah...sexier to whom?

Of course...when I read it the rides sounded like fun in the same sick sort of way randonneuring does. In fact...I thought they sounded like randonees...Ramble randonees...

They should smack D2R2 on their North East list right up front.

fiamme red
10-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Ira Ryan finished second in an unsanctioned Raid Race from San Francisco to Portland. It took riding over 250 miles a day for three days in a row. He did it alone and entirely self supported. He stopped only at night to sleep wrapped in plastic, in the bottom of ditches, on the side of the road. He wore the same bib shorts and sleeveless jersey three very long days straight. He ate fruit from trees and candy bars from gas stations. He collected receipts, his proof of completion, from every county he passed through. Ira tenaciously and determinedly crushed and spun his bike north for 81 hours straight, essentially.

That was more than just a race though it was a competition. It was something epic and heroic, something BIG and something human. Like Randonneuring or Touring only faster and sexier, he challenged the terrain, his sanity and the bicycle as much as anyone or anything else.
And who was the first finisher? Kent Peterson (http://www.blackbirdsf.org/sf-portland/results.html). If there's anyone who can be called the anti-Rapha, he's the man. Here's (http://www.mile43.com/peterson/Raid/raidfinish.jpg) a picture of him at the finish. I don't think anyone would call those Coroplast fenders "sexy."

Grant McLean
10-16-2007, 01:29 PM
If there's anyone who can be called the anti-Rapha, he's the man.

Ya, I doubt he pays $17 for 1 plastic waterbottle.

:banana:

-g

nicrump
10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
And who was the first finisher? Kent Peterson (http://www.blackbirdsf.org/sf-portland/results.html). If there's anyone who can be called the anti-Rapha, he's the man. Here's (http://www.mile43.com/peterson/Raid/raidfinish.jpg) a picture of him at the finish. I don't think anyone would call those Coroplast fenders "sexy."

2003 was the last event?

davids
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
They're doing an excellent job marketing their brand. No doubt, Rapha's stuff is beautiful, and it looks like it's well designed and made.

But I just can't pay that much money for bike clothes. I'll stretch to spend $120 on a wool jersey, and I'll pay $12 for a pair of luscious SmartWool socks. But $17 for a water bottle - excuse me, a bidon - $200 for a LS jersey and $27 for wool socks is too rich for me to wrap my head around. And that's par for their course...

sg8357
10-16-2007, 02:02 PM
I think we should take up a collection for Ira, to send him a Carradice bag
so he doesn't have to sleep in the same clothes and has a decent blanket.

Scott G.

"Adventure is just bad planning."
Roald Amundsen
Norwegian Arctic & Antarctic explorer (1872 - 1928)

Ray
10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Son of a gun - are those GEARS on Kent's bike? I have to go back to his site and see what he's been up to lately. Last I remember, he was doing everything on a fixie. Including that 200+ mile per day trip from Issaquah back to his old haunts in Minnesota. With a load of clothes and light camping gear. Some of his best bikes have been trash picks. The guy's a legend. And as un-Rapha as they come. I wouldn't call him 'anti' because that implies active knowledge and disapproval. Kent would probably not give a rat's behind about Rapha. Unless they sponsored him, in which case he'd say thanks, but probably not much more.

-Ray

dauwhe
10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Kent is my nutritional role model.

Dave

fiamme red
10-16-2007, 02:12 PM
But I just can't pay that much money for bike clothes. I'll stretch to spend $120 on a wool jersey, and I'll pay $12 for a pair of luscious SmartWool socks. But $17 for a water bottle - excuse me, a bidon - $200 for a LS jersey and $27 for wool socks is too rich for me to wrap my head around. And that's par for their course...My favorite is $220 for a leg shaving kit.

"Joint venture with Geo F. Trumper of Mayfair. Finest badger brush and chrome travel razor in leather case."

http://www.rapha.cc/images/Rapha_Spring_Summer_07.pdf

goonster
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Ya, I doubt he pays $17 for 1 plastic waterbottle.

Kent doesn't pay $17 for a bike. :banana:

He's my nutritional role model too. ;)

goonster
10-16-2007, 02:21 PM
2003 was the last event?

2003 was the only event.

gdw
10-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Kent seems to be crossing over to the darkside. More gears:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_5PAf404x7S8/RtCpUsWVhWI/AAAAAAAABxI/iCax_yyGL9Q/s1600-h/Trailer74.JPG

sspielman
10-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey...it's marketing...it's about image...imaginary is just as good as real....

sspielman
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
My favorite is $220 for a leg shaving kit.

"Joint venture with Geo F. Trumper of Mayfair. Finest badger brush and chrome travel razor in leather case."

http://www.rapha.cc/images/Rapha_Spring_Summer_07.pdf

looks like the $220 is a bit rich for most of their models to spring as well.....God knows they haven't used it on their faces....

Grant McLean
10-16-2007, 02:56 PM
looks like the $220 is a bit rich for most of their models to spring as well.....God knows they haven't used it on their faces....

Actually, I think there is an even more expensive version that leaves precisely
2 days beard growth, that accurately represents the look of being unshaven.
It's really hard work looking like you're not trying...

:banana:

-g

coylifut
10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
that Kent Peterson's story is really impressive, but I bet he doesn't get nearly as much tail as Sinatra.

Ray
10-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Kent doesn't pay $17 for a bike. :banana:

He's my nutritional role model too. ;)
Mine three. And he uses HELMET MIRRORS. Swoop was starting to give me a complex about mine, but if Kent uses 'em....

Credibility restored.

-Ray

gdw
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm impressed with $60 shop apron and "the only" beathable cycling cap is a steal at $40. It looks quite similar to the breathable running cap that was in the swag bag at the last race I ran but must be better since that event was less expensive and even included a t-shirt made of high tech wicking material. :D

92degrees
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Some of the stuff is a riot. Their cap is 4x better than any other I've ever put on my head, though. It's hard, experiences like that make you wonder if the $200 jersey is worth it. I may never know.

benb
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
I like the lack of helmets... the stuff screams poser to me...

goonster
10-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Some of the stuff is a riot. Their cap is 4x better than any other I've ever put on my head, though. It's hard, experiences like that make you wonder if the $200 jersey is worth it. I may never know.

In defense of Rapha:

1. The Pound/Dollar exchange is truly horrendous (for those who earn frn's in $)

2. Where are the threads poking fun at $550 Assos jackets?

Bill Bove
10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
They're doing an excellent job marketing their brand. No doubt, Rapha's stuff is beautiful, and it looks like it's well designed and made.

But I just can't pay that much money for bike clothes. I'll stretch to spend $120 on a wool jersey, and I'll pay $12 for a pair of luscious SmartWool socks. But $17 for a water bottle - excuse me, a bidon - $200 for a LS jersey and $27 for wool socks is too rich for me to wrap my head around. And that's par for their course...
+1. if you can't eat it, don't buy it. imagine going down with a rapha kit on?

gdw
10-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Assos deserves the same abuse. ATMO

dauwhe
10-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Some of the stuff is really, really nice. The Finger Lakes Ramble was like a Rapha convention, and those folks sure aren't posers!

I really, really like the cap. I bought a jersey on sale, and although it's very nice, it's not transcendent.

On one extreme, there's Rapha. On another, Kent Peterson. I suppose the third extreme is the ceramic-bearing pro-team-kit folks... and the fourth extreme, of course, would be BBDave : )

- one of the other Daves

coylifut
10-16-2007, 03:57 PM

my wife buys it and i wear it. you should see me. I'm decked out in the stuff from head to toe. I probably look like a triple poser by wearing a helmet though.

Of course she doesn't pay retail for it and no I'm telling ya'll how she gets it for 50% off.

coylifut
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Assos deserves the same abuse. ATMO

when i'm not wearing the Rapha stuff I'm wearing the assos airblock jacket.

don't you people have any guilty pleasures?

benb
10-16-2007, 04:02 PM
It's like a freakin costume party.. as if non-cyclists didn't think we were gay enough already.

No free pass for Assos.. they're totally ridiculous as well.. I guess Rapha seems even worse cause they just came out of nowhere..

Lots of people have guilty pleasures... it's just a question of how made of money do you have to be to buy stuff that's overpriced just for the purpose of trying to build phony brand cachet? Why not buy a $100 jacket from someone else and put the other $400 into another hobby? Or family, etc.. ?

Does the Rapha stuff make your sh*t not stink after a 100 mile ride? Does it not stain if you get caught in the rain & mud? I bet it falls apart at the same rate as everything else.. or maybe faster... (Like the $100 Abercrombie and fitch jeans that fall apart in 1/4 the time the $50 Levis do, etc.. )

dauwhe
10-16-2007, 04:03 PM
don't you people have any guilty pleasures?

If we're confessing, I own six Berthoud bags.

Dave "in denial" C.

davids
10-16-2007, 04:04 PM
In defense of Rapha:

1. The Pound/Dollar exchange is truly horrendous (for those who earn frn's in $)

2. Where are the threads poking fun at $550 Assos jackets?
I was going to write, "If I had to choose between Rapha and Assos, I'd pick Rapha for their designs." But I thought I'd be opening a can of worms (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=34396) ...

coylifut
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Dave "in denial" C.

good sir, I applaud you.

benb
10-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I think wearing a helmet with this stuff defeats the poser image..

All the other Rapha wearers will turn their noses up at you... and tell you that your mother smelled of elderberry?

goonster
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM

I own twenty-three Rivendell caps. :beer:

Kirk007
10-16-2007, 04:32 PM
are the answer for Rapha - last winter they had some sales that brought their stuff down to at least the high end of reasonable - same range as the higher end Castelli, Pearl, Descente; less than Assos. And after having just spent an hour and a half in pouring rain in my Rapha jacket, waterproof hat(under helmet) and wool undershirt, all, bought on sale, I can tell you that I was (1) perfectly comfortable and (2) a bit damp and clammy at the end, but not soaked. Certainly could have had the same results with lots of other combos from other companies. Rapha's basic wool blend jersey has been comfortable through a high range of temps, including up into the high 80s this summer and feels much nicer on the skin ATMO. Bottom line: It works well, feels nice - better than plastic, is cut well, seems made well, goes nicely with my helmet and bought judiciously and with some element of common sense (skip the water bottles and shavings kits) is not out of line with other cycling kit. So, if yo want to make fun of me when I'm in my Rapha have at it. I'll be comfortable in any event.

jeffg
10-16-2007, 04:36 PM
I was going to write, "If I had to choose between Rapha and Assos, I'd pick Rapha for their designs." But I thought I'd be opening a can of worms (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=34396) ...

I do not buy much Assos or Rapha; however, I do own a few pieces of each, to wit:

1. Assos Microclima Jacket: Fantastic rain jacket in something that even breathes and fits anywhere.

2. Rapha base layer: I am very sensitive to wool, but love the fit and the fact I can wear it a few times before it stinks enough to have to wash it. Same goes for the jersey. It was wonderful for 5:00 am in the Dolomites at 40 degrees with arm warmers and a vestd was great with the base layer when it was 75.

Otherwise, Exte Ondo bibs (Bimarke) for 75 Euros rock my world

coylifut
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
are the answer for Rapha - last winter they had some sales that brought their stuff down to at least the high end of reasonable - same range as the higher end Castelli, Pearl, Descente; less than Assos. And after having just spent an hour and a half in pouring rain in my Rapha jacket, waterproof hat(under helmet) and wool undershirt, all, bought on sale, I can tell you that I was (1) perfectly comfortable and (2) a bit damp and clammy at the end, but not soaked. Certainly could have had the same results with lots of other combos from other companies. Rapha's basic wool blend jersey has been comfortable through a high range of temps, including up into the high 80s this summer and feels much nicer on the skin ATMO. Bottom line: It works well, feels nice - better than plastic, is cut well, seems made well, goes nicely with my helmet and bought judiciously and with some element of common sense (skip the water bottles and shavings kits) is not out of line with other cycling kit. So, if yo want to make fun of me when I'm in my Rapha have at it. I'll be comfortable in any event.

guys. you don't have to defend your selves. my wife said the other brands are a sex repellent. what more do you need to hear?

flydhest
10-16-2007, 04:41 PM
guys. you don't have to defend your selves. my wife said the other brands are a sex repellent. what more do you need to hear?

what her sister's telephone number is?

coylifut
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
what her sister's telephone number is?

Ha, she's an only child.

:p :p :p

72gmc
10-16-2007, 05:08 PM
fly finally adds some common sense to this thread. coy's wife should propose a new slogan to the rapha folks...

Buzz
10-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Slick marketing. Don't get me wrong, the products looks like nice stuff. But the Continental site is just marketing. If we are to believe it, none of us have been on a real ride since the 1970's or whenever everyone switched from wool to lycra, black and white to color photos, had a chamois insert, etc.

We are supposed to suffer in order to have a real ride. Why do you need high zoot wool clothes to do that? All of my suffering was when I didn't have enough money to buy a proper set of tires, had crappy equipment that broke down, etc. What does that have to do with buying $200 shaving kits and jerseys?

If the point of the site is to get back to the real soul of cycling, then it is on an old bicycle with recycled parts, clothing, etc as some of the earlier posters pointed out and not with a $17 water bottle.

big shanty
10-16-2007, 05:20 PM
If we want to prude out on prices of cycling gear, I will offer my time and give a guided internet tour of the the world's most outrageously overpriced bicycling bits. Registration is $140, and tour is limited to the first 8 successful applicants.

justinf
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Rapha makes really well made stuff that looks great. Disclaimer: I'm in the target market I guess.

All you curmudgeons are making me laugh. No, smile.

With love, Justin

Steelhead
10-16-2007, 05:31 PM
If I were in London what would Rapha cost me in a shop? What about Assos if I were in Switzerland?

I still want to find a copy of the Rapha magazine - but I can't handle paying $25+ for a magazine.

mschol17
10-16-2007, 05:38 PM
It seems to me IBEX is 95% of the Rapha style at 50% of the price.

30% off on their website right now! I have 2 of their jerseys, and they're great.

Steelhead
10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Here is some Rapha for you, made of "revolutionary" cotton. :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rapha-Cycling-Cap-White-w-blue-stripe-XL_W0QQitemZ130163513076QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2904QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CNY rider
10-16-2007, 06:25 PM

30% off on their website right now! I have 2 of their jerseys, and they're great.

Yep, the Ibex stuff is much more reasonably priced and does everything it should.
If they doubled the price and had slicker ads would that get people more excited?

big shanty
10-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Yep, the Ibex stuff is much more reasonably priced and does everything it should.
If they doubled the price and had slicker ads would that get people more excited?

Yes.

rnhood
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Rapha may be hideously overpriced but, Ira Ryan's bikes would appear to be a bargain. $1300 for a fully lugged (silver brazed) hand made steel frame. Where do I get on the waiting list?

http://www.iraryancycles.com/

saab2000
10-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I like the lack of helmets...

There are bike helmets? What's next? 'Protective eyewear'? Pedals without clips and straps?

Sci Fi

big shanty
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Rapha may be hideously overpriced but, Ira Ryan's bikes would appear to be a bargain. $1300 for a fully lugged (silver brazed) hand made steel frame. Where do I get on the waiting list?

http://www.iraryancycles.com/

Give him a call. His waiting list is not getting any shorter.

Too Tall
10-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Just sayin' Kent Peterson in real life is styleman don't hate him for doin' what needs doin. I've ridden with him before during Brevets and his hair was immaculate ;) MAN I bet those guys were beat. BAs each and every one.

Ginger
10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Ha, she's an only child.

:p :p :p

Darn...

I was going to ask if she had a brother...

Because you know... I'm looking for a man who will buy me good looking cycling clothes.

As it is I'm stuck buying my own exte ondo (cause Rapha doesn't make women's clothing.)

Booooo

Too Tall
10-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Darn...

I was going to ask if she had a brother...

Because you know... I'm looking for a man who will buy me good looking cycling clothes.

As it is I'm stuck buying my own exte ondo (cause Rapha doesn't make women's clothing.)

Booooo
.....or long tall...Sally ;)

Ginger
10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
.....or long tall...Sally ;)

but Josh, you're so good looking that you can wear sex repellent and your wife doesn't mind.

shanerpvt
10-16-2007, 08:09 PM
i dig on the rapha. i'm sure i'm a poser. i like how their gear is understated. i don't like the gear that makes me look like a bulletin board. as for the price, i would rather have one rapha jersey then 2 or 3 PI. i use it as a reward system for myself- set a goal, accomplish it, get rapha.....it works.

cheers,

shaner

paczki
10-16-2007, 09:51 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=406488#post406488

coylifut
10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=406488#post406488

that's fantastic

Hey guys. The IBEX stuff is great, but it loses shape after a while and once that happens, no tail for you.

R2D2
10-17-2007, 07:11 AM
I'll stick with RUSA.

dancinkozmo
10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I like the old swobo stuff...socks especially.....is the new swobo stuff any good ? Still made in San Fran?

Fixed
10-17-2007, 08:25 AM
bro they seem like a hip co. pricey though
cheers imho

gt6267a
10-17-2007, 08:38 AM

dude, you just cost me some coin ... in the good way ... i have been thinking about picking up some wool and a 30% off was the incentive needed. i have an ibex jersey and love it. so, i added arm / leg warmers, a long sleever for the chilly days ahead, and a another reg jersey to the clothing stash ... thanks for the 30% off tip!

dbrk
10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Everyone decides what's "worth it" and what they can afford. My Rapha softshell jacket gets worn on and off the bike, so much so that I confess to owning two. I've yet to find a product they make that I don't like, though not all of them pass my own muster of cost/benefit, and ymmv. I can also tell you that the Rapha riders are strong, fast, and really really friendly, wonderful folks. Dominique who acts I think as their DS is amazing rider and a fantastic person, as is Simon Mottram who is the company director. These are nice folks, that's my experience, and you can be sure that any event they organize will fun (even if it's expensive to participate). If liking what you like makes you a poser, well, that's me.

dbrk

sspielman
10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Poser-def. (N.) 1) anybody who has equipment better or more desireable than your own.

paczki
10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Poser-def. (N.) 1) anybody who has equipment better or more desireable than your own.
Have you looked at that catalogue? They are posers in a pretty straightforward sense. Posing in a shower stall with mud on the Rapha bibs in anguish at having lost that big race to Tommy. No slam intended on people who buy the stuff, and no slam on the riders, that's all cool, but the poses are like out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. I just couldn't believe my eyes, I thought that was a joke about the leg-shaving kit.

cpg
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I dig Rapha. I'm a sucker for their marketing. It is good stuff and expensive. Ira Ryan's ride sounded cool. Kent Petersen is a stud rider despite those fenders. I by no mean wish to diminish their accomplishment because I doubt I could do it but I think the Rapha text shouldn't be "dissing" rando riders. Look at PBP which is roughly the same mileage as this Raid. Jan Heine did it in 50 hours. A number of riders on this forum did the ride in around 80 hours. The record is around 42 hours for 1200K. That's fast. I think Rapha should be embracing rando riders in addition to this idea of continental riding.

Curt

fiamme red
10-17-2007, 10:58 AM
If they doubled the price and had slicker ads would that get people more excited?Yes. Rapha's high prices are an integral part of their marketing.

Grant McLean
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes. Rapha's high prices are an integral part of their marketing.

Agreed.

Anyone else would sell cotton caps for $10 and waterbottles for $2
to show that they aren't overpriced on their expensive goods.

Clearly the Rapha appeal is joining an exclusive group. I really dig the Rapha vibe,
and i love the rouleur magazine (Even the Condor bikes are sweet, they know
style too. ) But I'm just not that big a fan of the actual Rapha products.
I guess I have a tough time paying for that style part. The materials and
other costs that go into the price of object have to have some cost/value
equation.

Pearl Izumi has more technical appeal for me. They won me over because
their products are great. Now I just buy my PI stuff in all black or black and
white so I look like a Rapha model...

-g

Ginger
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Have you looked at that catalogue? They are posers in a pretty straightforward sense. Posing in a shower stall with mud on the Rapha bibs in anguish at having lost that big race to Tommy. No slam intended on people who buy the stuff, and no slam on the riders, that's all cool, but the poses are like out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. I just couldn't believe my eyes, I thought that was a joke about the leg-shaving kit.

Yeah...no road rash and they're shaving their legs while still in their bibs *after* a ride? (if I remember correctly)
There was a bit of real rider dissonance on that particular spread.

It's sort of funny that they do well with the on the bike stuff, the après-ride stuff, but the stuff that's a bit out of the realm of bike stuff, gets this weird stretch by the photog or creative team. I've noticed it before.

Kevan
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
but there are some stores I don't bother walking into.

Anyway, kids are more fun and more expensive.

dirtdigger88
10-17-2007, 11:32 AM
rapha has some great stuff-

if you like it buy some-

if not - dont-

seems fairly simple to me-

but what do I know- I dig holes in the dirt for a living

Jason

fiamme red
10-17-2007, 11:38 AM
rapha has some great stuff-

if you like it buy some-

if not - dont-

seems fairly simple to me-

but what do I know- I dig holes in the dirt for a living

Jason"Digging dirt requires stamina, strength, mental focus and fortitude. But the rewards are huge and grow the more effort you put into it.

"More and more men are discovering that using a shovel can be the perfect counterpoint to our cosseted and quick-fix modern lives. We’ve become so used to instant gratification and sanitised pleasure that we have forgotten that the greatest highs come from the deepest lows, that there is a unique satisfaction from applying yourself totally, then seeing the results. From pain comes pleasure."

Too Tall
10-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Everyone decides what's "worth it" and what they can afford. My Rapha softshell jacket gets worn on and off the bike, so much so that I confess to owning two. I've yet to find a product they make that I don't like, though not all of them pass my own muster of cost/benefit, and ymmv. I can also tell you that the Rapha riders are strong, fast, and really really friendly, wonderful folks. Dominique who acts I think as their DS is amazing rider and a fantastic person, as is Simon Mottram who is the company director. These are nice folks, that's my experience, and you can be sure that any event they organize will fun (even if it's expensive to participate). If liking what you like makes you a poser, well, that's me.

dbrk
Fine, dandy you've got their ear. Tell them to make goods to fit long tall me!
Livin' in highwaters and rags bro....hook me up!

The uniform 'e wore
Was nothin' much before,
An' rather less than 'arf o' that be'ind,
For a piece o' twisty rag
An' a goatskin water-bag
Was all the field-equipment 'e could find.
When the sweatin' troop-train lay
In a sidin' through the day,
Where the 'eat would make your bloomin' eyebrows crawl,
We shouted "Harry By!"
Till our throats were bricky-dry,
Then we wopped 'im 'cause 'e couldn't serve us all.
It was "Din! Din! Din!

RUDYARD KIPLING

big shanty
10-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Fine, dandy you've got their ear. Tell them to make goods to fit long tall me!

This is why, although expensive, Assos clothes are a good value to me because they fit exquisitely w/ their tall sizing.

92degrees
10-17-2007, 12:27 PM

I find the Rapha catalog far more compelling to look at than most. I'd much rather see their form of "posing" than look at models in Colorado Cyclist that look like they've never seen a bike before.

dauwhe
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
I find the Rapha catalog far more compelling to look at than most. I'd much rather see their form of "posing" than look at models in Colorado Cyclist that look like they've never seen a bike before.

But G*d forbid if they ever take off their helmets for a moment, even when they're just standing around!

fiamme red
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
But G*d forbid if they ever take off their helmets for a moment, even when they're just standing around!Or their sunglasses. :cool:

davids
10-17-2007, 01:24 PM
...I'd much rather see their form of "posing" than look at models in Colorado Cyclist that look like they've never seen a bike before.
One of the clothing shots in the most recent CC catalog caught my eye. The model is straddling his Douglas Carbon bike in front of a snowy Colorado mountain scene. Except that the view between the top of his saddle and the saddle rails is a startlingly consistent white...

Double check the photochop next time, OK?

R2D2
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
They seem have built up some nice bikes for the "adventures".
Although they talk about a Brooks Swift saddle,the bikes are actually equiped with standard Swallows.........

rwsaunders
10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
"Ira Ryan finished second in an unsanctioned Raid Race from San Francisco to Portland. It took riding over 250 miles a day for three days in a row. He did it alone and entirely self supported. He stopped only at night to sleep wrapped in plastic, in the bottom of ditches, on the side of the road. He wore the same bib shorts and sleeveless jersey three very long days straight. He ate fruit from trees and candy bars from gas stations. He collected receipts, his proof of completion, from every county he passed through. Ira tenaciously and determinedly crushed and spun his bike north for 81 hours straight, essentially."

He had to use plastic for a sleeping bag, find a ditch for a hotel, eat at gas stations and pilfer fruit because he blew his travel allowance on his Rapha threads. That's the untold story from the website. :cool:

BBB
10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
It seems to me that the cost of Rapha products shouldn't be a real big deal when you consider that a lot of people here ride bikes worth thousands and thousands of dollars. What's $200 on a Rapha jersey when a Mevici (frame and fork) can set you back $8000?

gomez308
10-18-2007, 08:20 AM
This is why, although expensive, Assos clothes are a good value to me because they fit exquisitely w/ their tall sizing.

Do they actually have tall sizes or they just fit taller guys OK?

Kirk007
10-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Assos makes a size called TLR (or TIR - can't recall this am) that is cut longer. It makes a real difference in their bids and tights compared to some companies that seem to cut the length of the bid straps too short for me at 6' 3"

That said I find the Rapha products that I have tried in XL to fit quite well. Really long sleeves on the soft shelled jacket and good length through the body for me. I understand its not so good for those even taller than than me.

zeroking17
10-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Only one of these "looks," these attitudes, is for sale.

Birddog
10-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Zero, that's GREAT!!!!!

Birddog

Too Tall
10-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Cool, thanks Zero :) One of my fav. parts of PBP was pacing with the old french guys.

dauwhe
10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
All the gear is for sale. What we do with it is up to us.

Dave

fiamme red
10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Only one of these "looks," these attitudes, is for sale.That's a great juxtaposition.

jemoryl
10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Assos makes a size called TLR (or TIR - can't recall this am) that is cut longer. It makes a real difference in their bids and tights compared to some companies that seem to cut the length of the bid straps too short for me at 6' 3"

That said I find the Rapha products that I have tried in XL to fit quite well. Really long sleeves on the soft shelled jacket and good length through the body for me. I understand its not so good for those even taller than than me.

It would be amusing if they called it TIR (from an UN website):
Anyone who has ever travelled on European roads will recognize the familiar blue and white TIR plate borne by thousands of lorries and semi-trailers using the TIR Customs transit system....

maunahaole
10-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I think the assos biggest size IS TIR, for that very reason. Swiss humor, I guess.

coylifut
10-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Only one of these "looks," these attitudes, is for sale.

the dudes on the left are the dudes on the right 30 years earlier. as one ages, the attitude dissipates.

Tom
10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I got that catalog and saw the great photoshopping. It looks like they put the catalog together using those little blunt scissors and white paste you got in first grade.

I like how the female model, riding down the road, has her ponytail fetchingly arrayed across the front of her left shoulder.... hell of a tailwind, I guess.