PDA

View Full Version : Bike shop story

LegendRider
07-16-2004, 11:50 AM
The purpose of this post is not to "out" a shop I had a bad experience with. In fact, I won't name it. I simply thought this group would find this story interesting.

At my lunch hour today, I went by a shop I had never visited to check out the Cervelo R2.5. I had done a little research online and I felt like I was between sizes (56 and 58). I had called the shop earlier and they had both in stock.

I walked in and immediately saw the 56 built with 10 sp Dura Ace. It looked really nice. As the Jerk noted, somewhat like a compact C40. I asked the mechanic for a metric tape measure and he happily obliged. I did some measuring and felt that the 56 might be too small. I asked a salesperson if they had a 58 around. She, in turn, asked the owner / manager. Here's where it gets interesting.

The owner said he had one in the back not yet built. He then asked how tall I am. I responded, "six feet even" and he said, "A 58 is too big for you." I said, "well, I ride a 58 currently" (Serotta Legend by the way). And he proceeds to tell me it's too big for me!!! I explained that I had been riding for twelve years and the bike was absolutely not too big. Needless to say, I felt we started off on the wrong foot with him questioning my bike fit by seeing me twenty feet away and without ever seeing me on the bikes, etc.

So, we walk over to the 56 and begins to explain why it will fit. I explained that one of my hesitations was the head tube length which is only 16 cm. He tells me that's not important - "cockpit length" is what's important. Note, this is directly from the Cervelo catalog. Not wanting to fight with him, I ask him the trail measurement. I owned a Calfee and was happy with its construction, but I felt it was quick handling. If I get another carbon bike, it needs to be more neutral. He says, "trail???" He has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. He then asks his machanic who has no idea either. The mechanic said, "I've been working in the bike industry for X years and I've never heard of it." This was all delivered with attitude. I politely walked out of that place!

bcm119
07-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a typical bike shop experience.

Kevan
07-16-2004, 12:19 PM
not to say all that's said here is gospel, but here and there you get and learn details that are critical to understanding bike and rider performance.

While shopping for shoes at one shop my conversation with the owner lead to the subject of Calfees and he told me he stopped carrying them cuz Craig would call him asking things like what length head tube a particular customer wanted. "Can you imagine that?! How should I know what length it should be, just build the bike!", he snorted.

"Well... have a nice day", and off I walked, shaking my head.

victoryfactory
07-16-2004, 12:31 PM
This happens in every field, not just bikes.
The aficianado always knows more than the sales person.
Car experts always know more than car dealers.
Audiophiles always are more informed than audio dealers.

Successful shops are mainly interested in selling product, the list of failed
businesses is packed with experts and fans of a particular hobby who thought
it would be cool to open up a shop and "do it the right way" HA!
Even when a true expert, like an ex pro or such starts their own shop,
other things can creap into the equation like profit margin on certain bikes,
parts that are in stock vs correct parts needed and poorly trained, less expet
staff.

That's why I don't trust car dealers, stereo dealers or bike shops

VF, Mr. negative (at least on this subject...)

PS: watch out for Basso!

OldDog
07-16-2004, 02:17 PM
One big reason I lurk around here (other than I have job burnout and daydream all day :D ) is the education I continually receive. I've been riding 32+ years, worked a stint in a low end bike shop when I was a squirt, am more than capable of fixing my own rig, and friends, and building wheels. Though a number of years ago I really lost interest in all the techno stuff, I just like to ride. You guys (and gals) continually bring me up to speed with what's new today and all the technicalities that go with it, fit etc. I really enjoy dropping an ear in on TT, Smiley, Douglas, Jerk, etc., people here know their stuff and can be counted on for reliable information. I have been in my share of shops, whereas ignorant me knows way more than the management. This forum should be a requisit for all consumers and shop owners. But then to many cooks....

Thanks to Ben and all here for knowledge and the chuckles! :beer:

Sandy
07-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Craig Calffe called me a few weeks ago and asked me if I could talk you into riding an Ottrott. He said that he would pay for it, since you and your riding are doing great damage to both the image and bottom line of Calfee. :)

I spoke to Ben Serotta and he said that he would buy you another Calfee, maybe two, as long as you promised never to ride ANY Serotta, even just for a test ride. :)

Sensitve Serotta Sandy :banana:

Kevan
07-16-2004, 03:21 PM
steal my bikes from here on out.

First stop: the Sandy household. :D

Sandy
07-16-2004, 03:39 PM
No dinner for you big boy. I think you will have a large dog biscuit to eat later tonight.

Crunch Crunch's Trainer

Climb01742
07-17-2004, 06:00 AM
spinner nailed it...this forum is an ongoing education...amid the occassional BS, there is alot i'm learning from all of you...thanks to you and thanks to ben...but sorry, senor, my stem is staying a 110! :rolleyes:

CarbonTi
07-18-2004, 12:17 AM
My 2 lira.

The chap Legend met at this shop doesn't seem to me be way off base as far as his opinions on fit. He is guilty of not hearing a customer out and seems to assume it's correct to size the bike to fit to the position of the Euro pro. So if you like your bike set-up like Petacchi's, this shop was the place to go. The shop owner is way off base thinking that approach to fitting a bike is the only way to go and missed the cue about head tube length - so he blew the sale. The attitude they conveyed was unprofessional and unwarranted - so he blew the sale.

The question about trail was a trap. I don't see it published in the specs by most bike co.'s. therefore most shops won't know this spec either. And trail by itself isn't that important unless front-center is also considered along with how you like to set-up the fit of the bike as far as stem length. A little on the quick side as far as trail means nothing if run with a 13 or 14cm stem in a race bike set-up. Race bikes handle better on frames sized on the smaller side. If the desire is not for that type of ride characteristic or ergonomic result then a shop that knows enough to listen will help you out.

This shop was *far too knowledgable* about bikes to listen and got what they deserved.

victoryfactory
07-18-2004, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=CarbonTi]My 2 lira.
The question about trail was a trap. I don't see it published in the specs by most bike co.'s. therefore most shops won't know this spec either. QUOTE]
CarbonTi;
You're probably right. I guess the bike shop guy doesn't design and build the bikes.
Maybe we shouldn't expect him to know about trail, etc.
99% of the customers that walk into his shop are civilians, not know-it-all
bike geeks. These people expect the manufacturer to worry about the
design details.
After all, would you storm out of a car dealer if the salesman didn't know
what kind of rear suspension design a car had?

VF, calm, cool, reasonable.....

LegendRider
07-18-2004, 09:18 PM
My trail question to the shop owner was not a "trick question." I fully understand the many bike companies don't publish the figure; it's not the only variable in steering responsiveness; etc. My point was that he did not know what the definition of trail is; nor did the mechanic. I found that extremely surprising.

CarbonTi
07-19-2004, 08:26 AM
OK, I missed your point regarding the repartee on trail at that LBS. Those guys don't know as much as they think they know. Their haughty attitude can steamroll the average bicycle consumer but not the cognoscenti on this forum.

Later...