PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo QS

amator
10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
How does the Quick shift which allows U to shift up and down a few rear cogs actually work.. is it the rear D or the ergo.
Im asking becuase I was told the 2007 centaur UT doesnt have that function. Im surprised cos I tried an 05 centaur gruppo which shifted the same as my 05 chorus group.
Centaur 2008 is designated QS ergo's but no mention about jumping up or down a few cogs.

Is this the way to make us go to chorus UT.... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay.. I may not be referring to QS but the ability to dump the rear cogs up and odwn.. can centaur do at least 3 cogs? :beer:

DarrenCT
10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
just get chorus shifters and you should be good to go

(i think)

Avispa
10-15-2007, 08:29 PM
How does the Quick shift which allows U to shift up and down a few rear cogs actually work.. is it the rear D or the rego.
Im asking becuase I was told the 2007 centaur UT doesnt have that function. Im surprised cos I tried an 05 centaur gruppo which shifted the same as my 05 chorus group.
Centaur 2008 is designated QS ergo's but no mention about jumping up or down a few cogs.

Is this the way to make us go to chorus UT.... :rolleyes:

Bro,

If I am not mistaken, QS applies to the front dérailleur (left ergo lever), not the rear one. I am aware that Campy made modifications to the rear shifter (right lever) for 2007, but mostly for a smoother feel of the lever when shifting.

The way I see/feel QS working is by allowing less power (something I didn't like at the beginning) to be applied to the lever(s) and the clicks between shifts are closer to each other (on the front dérailleur).

Hey, as Darren said, I'd ask Grant McLean to verify.... He is our Campy tech guru! ;)

..A..

DarrenCT
10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
we need Grant to provide some knowledge here

navclbiker
10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I was going with full Centaur on my build until the rep at the LBS told me about the gear dump of the chorus shifters. Centaur does not offer that function. So now I have Centaur with Chorus shifters.

Alexi
10-15-2007, 08:37 PM
ok pre 2007 all campy could dump the cassette in one swing, this year it's only chorus and record.

QS is the front derailleuer, don't know anything about how it works. My 2007 chorus brifters are mated to a old victory fd.

Cheers,
little mr campy piggy

Fixed
10-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I'd ask Grant McLean to verify.... He is our Campy tech guru!

bro he knows almost everything ..not just bike stuff
cheers imho :beer:

Grant McLean
10-15-2007, 09:01 PM
ok pre 2007 all campy could dump the cassette in one swing, this year it's only chorus and record.

QS is the front derailleur, don't know anything about how it works.

Geeze guys, I didn't think anyone was really listening to my campy sermons!

Yes, Alexi's got it right, we're talking about two different features.

On the right, only the Ergopower™ Centaur™ 2007 levers were changed.
In the rear, it's called the new Escape™ mechanism, which saves about 70
grams, but you can't dump as many gears in an upshift. Some pros used
this mechanism, they liked it.

The left-hand lever is QuickShift™. They changed the lever ratio
to move the front derailleur with less rotation of the lever.
A Q/S front derailleur and Q/S shifter need to be matched for minimum
lever throw, but a std front derailleur still works with the new lever
and vise versa.

-g

amator
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Geeze guys, I didn't think anyone was really listening to my campy sermons!

Yes, Alexi's got it right, we're talking about two different features.

On the right, only the Ergopower™ Centaur™ 2007 levers were changed.

The left-hand lever is QuickShift™. They changed the lever ratio
to move the front derailleur with less rotation of the lever.
A Q/S front derailleur and Q/S shifter need to be matched for minimum
lever throw, but a std front derailleur still works with the new lever
and vise versa.

-g

Hi Grant I think Im referring more on the ability to upshift and down shift a couple of cogs.. I recall the 05 centaur with silver levers could do it.
07 centaur with the carbon shifters I was told cant.(Im not sure about 08)

fact is I like the Centaur crank much more than the carbon... If I could i would want even the older silver shifters of yesteryear but not sure which year to look for.

jbl
10-15-2007, 09:17 PM
fact is I like the Centaur crank much more than the carbon... If I could i would want even the older silver shifters of yesteryear but not sure which year to look for.

2006 and earlier is what you want.

Grant McLean
10-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi Grant I think Im referring more on the ability to upshift and down shift a couple of cogs.. I recall the 05 centaur with silver levers could do it.
07 centaur with the carbon shifters I was told cant.(Im not sure about 08)

That's correct, if the Centaur shifters are carbon, they are "new Escape" and
not what you want. If you want multiple upshifts, get any carbon Chorus
levers, or the 2006 Silver centaurs. (they're still around on ebay, and some online
places)

Regarding centaur "alloy" cranks, there still is a new alloy one.
The centaur crank is now available in both alloy and carbon for '08. The carbon
centaur crank is one of the few new items for '08, but the silver Ultra Torque
alloy centaur crank is widely available.

If you want to stick to all "old" :) silver stuff, you'll need to track down
2006 centaur shifters and rear derailleur, everything else in the group you
can pull from 2008.

You can download the last few years catalogs from here:

http://www.tuttocampybici.com/catalogs.php

-g

amator
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM
thanks for all the info, mate :beer:

I'd just like to get into more detail about the centaur escape if I could where you said:"

Does this mean that U cant go multipleshifts at all whether upshifting or downshifting or just not as many?

And for the front D, I heard some say that u can still can some Der' trim if intsalled in a certain way.

I guess i might not save much if i dont buy the whole gruppo....what i would be looking for in this order:
1) cost effective
2) 50/36 chrome UT crank, 11/23
3) the shifters in silver would be good to have but secondary

Alexi
10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
on tracking 2006 stuff down.

It's not that hard, find a LBS that deals with J&B they have (had) a whole bunch of 2006 OEM campy stuff on close-out. I picked up enough veloce & chorus brifters to last me a while....

shanerpvt
10-15-2007, 09:53 PM
would it be possible to rebuild the 07 right centaur brifter with chorus "guts"?

thanks,

shaner

Grant McLean
10-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Does this mean that U cant go multipleshifts at all whether upshifting or downshifting or just not as many?

And for the front D, I heard some say that u can still can some Der' trim if intsalled in a certain way.

Regarding upshifting and downshifting, the changes to the carbon Centaur
ergo is to the way it dumps to the smaller rear cogs, no multiple dump.

Shifting to bigger cogs is the same as always, multiple shifts with a sweep
of the lever to the lower gears.

All the front shifters can trim the front derailleurs, same as always.

-g

Dave
10-16-2007, 07:43 AM
All the front shifters can trim the front derailleurs, same as always.

-g

That's not what I found when I played with an '07 Centaur front derailleur at a LBS. If the thumb button is pushed from the big ring, one click shifts to the little ring with a shimano-like ping. A Chorus lever would just make a small trim move to the right if the thumb button is pushed one click. A Centaur owner posted on another forum that the trick to get a right trim move of the FD is to push gently on the finger lever and maintain pressure on it when pushing the thumb button. Sounds like a PIA to me.

As for the QS feature, all it does is cause the finger lever to engage the cable sooner, eliminating some dead travel in the finger lever. There has been no change to the amount of cable pulled per click. The double FD has a longer lever arm, so it should require at least one more click than the normal three to cover the full range of travel. The longer lever arm on the QS double FD is what reduces the force required to push the finger lever. Triple FDs remain unchanged. It still takes the same 5-click maximum swing on the finger lever to execute the little to middle ring shift. There is also no reduction in the force required to shift a triple FD.

Grant McLean
10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
If the thumb button is pushed from the big ring, one click shifts to the little ring with a shimano-like ping. A Chorus lever would just make a small trim move to the right if the thumb button is pushed one click. .

yes, that's correct. sorry for the confusion.
the centuar front isn't the same as the chorus/record trim.

-g