PDA

View Full Version : The accidental Saddle discovery

Ginger
10-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I've been in search of a saddle for a long time. Never had a saddle issue with my trail bikes (other than embroidery...I can't ride an embroidered saddle...), but then I started road riding around '91.

My stoker seat on the tandem had an Avocet 02 and my first real road bike had a white Concours. These two bikes were on the small side for me and on both bikes I was fairly comfortable, but not totally. I moved from those bikes around 93/94 -- the last time I was actually somewhat comfortable on a saddle.

Then begins my descent into saddle heck. People started fitting me on new stock bikes for my leg length, and, rather than being my stubborn self and insisting on being comfortable in my reach, I thought: Well...these people know what they're doing, they've been fitting people for years. And my earlier bikes handled poorly, even though I was comfortable on them. So maybe there was something to what they were saying.

Back to saddles:
My next touring bike, a Bianchi Eros started with a standard Bianchi torture device, which I switched for a Terry Sport. That wasn't perfect, I had pain in the soft tissue, but it was far better than the Bianchi saddle.
Then I went to a bike shop during their slow time and tried out just about every saddle in the place except the fat butt saddles. It was then I moved to Terry Butterflys.

When I came into my CSi and my Bianchi EV2 I used Butterflies on those bikes too. I liked them so much I moved them to my mountain bikes too. Problem is the back of the saddle is too wide and I'd hit the back of my legs on it. Bounce. Weird. Weird enough to get a set of nasty saddle sores on century rides. UGH.
So, I tried out a Brooks. That was the most comfortable my sit bones have ever been on a saddle, but the front of the saddle didn't like me at all no matter where I tilted it or how loose I made it.
Just NO.
Keep in mind, all of these bikes were adjusted to fit me, but didn't actually fit me (not the best balance or handling...but the CSi was a fantastic comfortable distance bike, and the EV2 climbed like a spanked monkey...sweet aluminum bike)

So I finally bought a bike that was built for me, my Kirk. It fits me, handles fantastic, everything is wonderful, except the saddle.
I started with the Terry Butterfly, then changed it back to the old White concours, then I went to a newer concours, then to a selle italia gel saddle, then a fiziks Ailante (just for a moment...ugh) then back to the concours, then in a fit of "I hate this saddle on this bike" I walked into a bike shop in the middle of a ride and picked up a fiziks Poggio.

And that was a decent saddle.
I've ridden it for a year or two and it's ok. But, I noticed Fiziks stopped making them. *sigh*

Fast forward to just the other day. I was test riding a specialized cross bike to figure out what size bike the shop needed to order for me. (I won a Specialized Tri Comp cross bike in the club raffle...) The saddle was remarkable...it was still a little wide in the back, and my legs weren't terribly happy...but boy, for a stock saddle, it was fairly comfortable.

Specialized Body Geometry Avatar Gel, 145 width.

I checked with the shop and all they had on the shelf was an Avatar Gel in a 130. PERFECT! And it was only in the 60-75 price range!

Off with the Poggio, on with the Avatar.

It took my sit bones about three rides to acclimate to the new saddle (as always) But now the saddle is just gone! This is the first time I can say that.

Of course, I haven't done any centuries on it yet but I'm pretty excited. This is the first saddle since '93 that I've been comfortable in both soft tissue and sit bones on any length ride. YAY!

The moral of the story is: If you have an issue, keep trying saddles, don't expect the most expensive saddle to be the "best" and try whole ranges of saddles. I had done that several times in my saddle search. If no saddle really works, review the fit of your bike.

If you're currently looking for a saddle, good luck!

Ginger

fiamme red
10-15-2007, 07:31 PM
and the EV2 climbed like a spanked monkey...But did it descend like a spanked monkey being dropped from a helicopter? And did it handle corners like a... oh, never mind. :rolleyes: :D ;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=404108&postcount=13

Ginger
10-15-2007, 07:50 PM
But did it descend like a spanked monkey being dropped from a helicopter? And did it handle corners like a... oh, never mind. :rolleyes: :D ;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=404108&postcount=13

It DID descend like it was dropped like a helicopter...rhythmic wobble and all especially at speed...freak'n thing would bounce across rough pavement. No amount of holding the top tube between your knees would stop it...so: Climbing fun, descending Unfun.

and yes, I knew someone would catch me on that cliche...but it's a Bianchi that used structural foam...it was LIGHT!! Ok...so I was climbing like a spanked monkey...that sounds kinkier, but more to your liking?

tab123
10-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Ginger, this sounds much like my journey through saddle "heck." I am still in it but hope to emerge from it with a Koobi Au Enduro. I have a few hundred miles on the saddle, and I can finally ride more than 50 miles without agonzing pain. My sit bones are never the problem, always the soft tissue and always on the left side.

When I pick up my new bike in the next few days, I am going to talk to the LBS about the left side problem.

Ginger
10-15-2007, 08:58 PM
I was just talking with someone about a similar issue...I have long femurs and a short torso...so that whole "bike that fits the inseam" thing just doesn't really work for me. Sure it can be made to fit, but my soft tissue hates those bikes.

Good luck!

And really...the biggest thing I can say is that if someone is fitting you and you feel *anything* at all on the soft tissue, speak up! Don't worry about embarrassing them. They shouldn't be shy about it, and if they are, they shouldn't be fitting anyone. And that is my opinion.

Fixed
10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
you may have found perfection
cheers imho

wasfast
10-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't think most men understand the unique pressure points that women face. I helped my wife go on a "saddle journey". She liked the Fizik Vitesse as far as the width/sits bone fit but the front was too much pressure on "that special area". Many of the cutout saddles don't have the cutout far enough forward to get the job done. Yes, they cut pressure further back but ignore the soft tissue that men just plain don't have.

Women's saddles also function on the generality that womens hips are wider. Generally speaking, they are but certainly not all.

Best of luck with your latest find.

Ginger
10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Another thing to note is that many women don't think to say anything if they feel any pressure on the soft tissue during a fit...unless they're asked directly. And, I suspect some fitters are a bit shy of asking because some women take offense at being asked about that...
If they do notice and say something sometimes they get the run around...let's see...what was I told:

"You're just not used to the more aggressive position." or
"That's just the size cycle, you won't notice it on the road."

That my friends, is pure BS.

It's a bike, it's not going to feel like laying in a hammock by the beach, but it shouldn't feel like sitting on the sharp edge of a 2x4 either.

wasfast: yep, my sitbones "measure" 130...all of those saddles listed other than the Terry Butterfly are fairly narrow and don't have that rear flare that so many women's saddles do.

tab123
10-16-2007, 10:19 AM
I was just talking with someone about a similar issue...I have long femurs and a short torso...so that whole "bike that fits the inseam" thing just doesn't really work for me. Sure it can be made to fit, but my soft tissue hates those bikes.

Good luck!

And really...the biggest thing I can say is that if someone is fitting you and you feel *anything* at all on the soft tissue, speak up! Don't worry about embarrassing them. They shouldn't be shy about it, and if they are, they shouldn't be fitting anyone. And that is my opinion.

Ginger, I luckily have a great LBS and am not worried about embarrassing myself or them. Earlier this year I had a humorous discussion about this topic with one of the shop's owners. I told him he is like a doctor to me; if something hurts while I am on the bike, he is going to hear about it.

I agree bike shop dudes tend not to understand the issues of women's pain "up front." I view it as part of my job as a woman cyclist to educate them (in a nice way).

I even tried the Selle SMP Strike saddles. Those caused so much pain on my "inside" sit bones that even shifting in my chair at work was painful for about a week after a 40-mile ride.

deechee
10-16-2007, 12:20 PM
I think this should be a call to all fitters to stock A LOT of women's saddles. I know we didn't go to a local fitter because (at least he was honest) had only a handful of women's choices.

RIHans
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
...But i've been using the same saddle now for over a year (Avatar). I had saddle "issues" for years. My LBS guy told me to try one of the Gel saddles, don't scratch it, bring it back if I didn't like it.

Well, it never came off. No more saddle issues. I'm a happy guy!

Good luck, but I bet you'll be happy also.

Hans

Ralph
06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Having gone thru the same thing with Men's saddles.....I also have found comfort with a Specialized saddle. I have a Coccyx issue that just doesn't go away, and I wanted to continue riding.

My needs are different than most. I needed a flat saddle, with a cut out, that you don't sink down into. One wide enough in rear to accomodatre sit bones, but narrow in nose so as not to rub butt checks or thighs when riding. I also needed a seat that didn't droop in the middle, that was relatively flat fore and aft. I needed my coccyx area not to contact anything at all.

Most everyone thought I needed a wider more supportive saddle....but that was just the opposiyte of what I needed. Those just killed me.

After a width check at my LBS, I tried several saddle, and discovered the Specialized Alias in 143 width works good for me. (I'm 5' 10" weight 160) It allows me to ride about 5-6 days of the week, getting in over 100 miles most weeks. So I'm a fan of the Specialized system and their products. I use their shoes also. As noted above, your use and condition is different, so probably this is not for you. But I did learn, that what most consider a comfortable seat, usually a wider softer seat, especially the Brooks folks, does not work for someone with my problem. Most importantly....get your sit bone width checked. It only needs to be wide enough for the sit bones to seat where they are supposed to sit. And with a cut out of adequate width, with seat adjusted just right, there is no need for any "soft" tissue to have any pressure on it at all.

Velosmith
06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Ginger,

I can tell you that my wife has recently found a saddle that has changed her whole outlook on riding. Soft tissue injuries have a huge impact when things aren't working correctly. Sometimes they are enough to make you quit but change your ability to have fun.