PDA

View Full Version : castelli socks

chrisroph
10-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Has anybody seen the new CO Cyclist catalog with $60 cashmere castelli cycling socks? And how about the prices for new cycling gear? Wow, has the dollar tanked so badly that a new assos winter jacket is actually $500+?

Fixed
10-15-2007, 04:25 PM
old sweatshirt for me bro and jeans cut at the calf is my kit for winter most days
cheers :beer:

vaxn8r
10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
old sweatshirt for me bro and jeans cut at the calf is my kit for winter most days
cheers :beer:
Fixed, you live in Florida...

Fixed
10-15-2007, 04:31 PM
bro but i a team oregon jersey
cheers

i make believe i live in oregon

Steelhead
10-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I used to work at a high end men's retail shop in college and at Christmas we carried $125 cashmere dress socks, and sold a lot of them. I couldn't imagine riding in cashmere socks.

The Assos stuff is always way high, but $500....thats silly.

shinomaster
10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
The Assos stuff is made from baby seal fur.

cadence231
10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
The Assos stuff is made from baby seal fur.
And the jackets are insulated with baby teeth and hair.

chrisroph
10-15-2007, 05:58 PM
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/CSTXXSBQ

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ASSXMYWC

Fixed
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
bro if you have a 10 grand bike you might as well have nice socks
cheers imho

chrisroph
10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
cheers imho

a guy has to draw the line somewhere.

bostondrunk
10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
cheers imho

I was about to say the same thing. If you spend 8k on a frame, then you've gone past the point of drawing lines! :)
If money were no object, I'd buy one of those jackets. Assos makes some nice stuff.

Ray
10-16-2007, 09:02 AM
If you spend 8k on a frame, then you've gone past the point of drawing lines! :)

Not necessarily true. I have a bike that, when all is said and done, I probably have somewhere between $4,000-5,000 in. Having had more than a few bikes to compare it to, I'd say it was worth every penny. But I STILL buy $7 cycling gloves because I can't find anything I like better about the gloves that cost $50 or whatever. I've yet to spend more than $50 for a helmet. or $80 for a set of bibs. For socks I stay with smartwool which are usually $10-15. But the saddle I have on it would cost well over $200 now and it wasn't all that much less when I bought it.

It's all about what works for you and what you can afford. It should never be about just one of those things.

The $500+ Assos jacket has been around for a few years now I think - I recall experiencing the same shock when I first saw it a couple of years or more back. If I rode in ultra-cold temperatures it might be worth it to me. I don't. It's not.

-Ray

sg8357
10-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Has anybody seen the new CO Cyclist catalog with $60 cashmere castelli cycling socks? And how about the prices for new cycling gear? Wow, has the dollar tanked so badly that a new assos winter jacket is actually $500+?

The dollar/FRNs :) tanked and the other clothing companies have been studying Raphas business model.
Assos was in violation of Swiss law for letting a British business have more expensive stuff than they did.
Brooks is going the same way, lovely marketing materials, shame the hide selection is not what it used to be.

Scott G.

J.Greene
10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I was about to say the same thing. If you spend 8k on a frame, then you've gone past the point of drawing lines! :)

That's what I love about my Sachs. Raunchy tatoos are the only requirment to riding one and moving up the list.

JG

toaster
10-16-2007, 09:35 AM
How about these for cheap gloves from Harbor Freight. They were under $5 and were pretty comfortable for a morning ride in the low 50's (degrees). BTW, my feet were nice and toasty in $20 wool socks!

chrisroph
10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Re assos, you used to be able to get last year's stock for about 1/2 price. i have two pairs of airblock tights that I got for $125-150 and they are worth every cent, best tights I've ever owned.

I also got an airblock jacket for 1/2 price but it isn't really much better than a PI airblock.

I bought one of their rain jackets of 4 years back or so for almost full price and never use it as its a parachute.

But the upward spiraling price trend is remarkable. And one of my good friends is hooked on rapha. The rapha rain jacket looks fantastic.

coylifut
10-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't buy the Rapha stuff, my wife buys it for me. She says cyclists basically look like rolling sex repellants, but the Rapha stuff might actually get a guy laid. She got my attention with that one.

Ozz
10-16-2007, 12:06 PM
...I bought one of their rain jackets of 4 years back or so for almost full price and never use it as its a parachute.....
Which one do you have?

I've been considering the Clima Micro Jacket for this year....I won't buy it but my in-laws take care of me at Xmas! ;)

Ginger
10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I dunno...

I bought some cashmere socks from Title 9 for around $8 (yes, sale price). They're very nice for riding and just about everything else. Are they better than wool? I like them better than my Rapha socks. And they're silkier than my Smartwool socks. And they've held up in the washer very well.

But they aren't summer socks.

That's just me.

Ginger
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't buy the Rapha stuff, my wife buys it for me. She says cyclists basically look like rolling sex repellants, but the Rapha stuff might actually get a guy laid. She got my attention with that one.

I now officially love your wife's sense of humor.

Ray
10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Waaaay too many possible interpretations of THAT statement...

I have three Rapha jerseys, which I wear for probably 90% of my hot-warm-coolish weather riding. My wife seems to think I look equally ridiculous in ANY of my cycling clothes. I get about the same amount of action since I've owned the Rapha as I did before I got the Rapha.

I think she's wrong :cool:

-Ray

chrisroph
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Which one do you have?

I've been considering the Clima Micro Jacket for this year....I won't buy it but my in-laws take care of me at Xmas! ;)

i think that is the one i have but i think they have changed the jacket since i bought mine. what i don't like about it is it has permanent vents that tend to fill the jacket like a drag chute. It creates a lot of resistance and you get cold in it on cold descents.

I really like my sugoi with pit zips. i zip the vents for cold descents, and open them if i need a little ventilation. it is a much more versatile garment than the assos. and it was about $40 bucks on sale at rei many year ago and it is still going strong. but terry's rapha has got me jonesing.

J.Greene
10-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I now officially love your wife's sense of humor.

Maybe it's not her sense of Humor? I am beggining to wonder if lycra is my problem :rolleyes:

JG

shinomaster
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kennybluesboss.com/graphics/Zebra%2520Suit.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kennybluesboss.com/Promo_Photos.html&h=1000&w=750&sz=207&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=mhWp_HWCARhEcM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dzebra%2Bsuit%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

chrisroph
10-16-2007, 03:19 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kennybluesboss.com/graphics/Zebra%2520Suit.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kennybluesboss.com/Promo_Photos.html&h=1000&w=750&sz=207&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=mhWp_HWCARhEcM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dzebra%2Bsuit%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

the one on the far left.