PDA

View Full Version : Confusion within a know it all

Dave B
10-15-2007, 12:36 PM
1. I am looking for a new road bike.

2. I am borrowing money from a friend and adding a little bit at a time. $2700 curently.

3. I used to think I knew loads about road bikes....but it appears I do not.

4. I am heavy, but that is slowly changing.

5. I thought I knew what I wanted, but have learned too much.

6. I am a snob...when it comes to bikes...or I used to be.

Those are the facts. I have purchased in my life a few bikes and with regards to road bikes I seemingly keep making the same mistake. Newest fad, try to be like lance, favorite rider used to ride it, stuff that does not seem to actually make for a good decision.

I have already been offered some deals by forum members as well as some fellas who actually build them.

I keep getting stuck with (Hey that is a great deal on a frame and fork) but nothing left over for anything else, or I could fit on it, but it is a bit small, or I simply do not care for it or do not know anything about it.

I used to think building up the lightest thing in the world on a small budget was important. It isn't

I do not have loads of bikes available to try here in town minus huge companies...Specalized, trek, Giant, Scott...whatever.

I am truly and humbly lost as I know my shape/health does not even come close to what a cyclist should be (not skinny racers, but fit)

Sandy's transformation is inspiration and thus is my goal. In knwo winter is coming, but running in the gym, weights, and smoe cold weather riding is on tap.

I am not in a hurry to purchase something, but my patience level is like my 5th graders....so I want it yesterday. :D

I also do not plan on nor am I interested in racnig anyone as cycling is purly for fun and to achieve better fitness for mountainbiking.

I have had record, DA, Ultegra, Chorus....I like campy best, but honestly at this point I am just lookng to start over.

I do not know where to go. Hoss has a great looking Seven (steel/carbon) and it keeps catchign my eye. I also do not know much about numbers and how somethign might feel. Yeah I know I am in the midst of a 56cm size. 6foot with a 32inseam, but some bikes (Colnago, Trek it is a 58) are going to be a race geo and some are more comfortable. I couldn't tell you which is which if my life depended on it, except for what I see int he peleton.

Will you guys/gals please help/steer me towards thigns and away from things.

I am more then happy to look at stuff and listen. Sure I have companies I love, but they tend to cost quite a bit, which is not the reasonI like them...They are just not the big boys.

Any help or guidance would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks

Prez

dave thompson
10-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Rule #1: Never borrow money from a friend, if you wish to keep him as a friend

Volant
10-15-2007, 12:44 PM
The only thing you didn't state is what you want from the bike. Do you want to do long easy rides, climbing work (a little hard where you're at), fast, short training rides. Does material matter to you? A good steel steed can't be beat. If it's for training for mtb or to lose some weight, you don't need the latest/lightest.

jbl
10-15-2007, 12:46 PM
My advice: Try not to get caught up in finding the perfect bike --- particularly if you don't know exactly what you want. Don't be afraid to try something new on a whim. Try something you think you won't like, just to try it.

As for champagne tastes on a beer budget, why not a vintage steel frame? A mid 80s Pinarello, Colnago, or any other fine name will make a great bike, and you shouldn't have any problem putting a modern drivetrain on it.

I got my '85 Pinarello as a fit experiment, and it has ended up being such a great bike to me that I don't know what I'd get next. Okay, I do, but it's a different kind of bike. I got a Campy drivetrain just see what it was all about. I like that, too.

Don't stress. It's supposed to be fun!

Dave B
10-15-2007, 12:51 PM

Agreed, we discussed that as I had real reservations. After many discussions we agreed on a payment plan that I can do. I have never borrowed money from a friend, but this situation seemed different to me. It would be my fault if the friendship soured, so it is up to me to make sure that does not happen.

At least that is how I look at it.

Kevan
10-15-2007, 12:52 PM
life is more important.

dvancleve
10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Mr. President,

Are you sure you are correct on sizing? I ride a 55-56cm frame and I am barely 5'9" with barely a 30" inseam. I would think at 6' you should be on a 57cm C-C frame or 58cm C-T. Based on your goals and fitness, I doubt you want a big bar to seat drop and that is more likely with a small frame.

Doug

I do not know where to go. Hoss has a great looking Seven (steel/carbon) and it keeps catchign my eye. I also do not know much about numbers and how somethign might feel. Yeah I know I am in the midst of a 56cm size. 6foot with a 32inseam, but some bikes (Colnago, Trek it is a 58) are going to be a race geo and some are more comfortable. I couldn't tell you which is which if my life depended on it, except for what I see int he peleton.

Any help or guidance would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks

Prez

Dave B
10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
The only thing you didn't state is what you want from the bike. Do you want to do long easy rides, climbing work (a little hard where you're at), fast, short training rides. Does material matter to you? A good steel steed can't be beat. If it's for training for mtb or to lose some weight, you don't need the latest/lightest.

You are right, because I have thought myself silly.

I live in central indiana....hills are about as common as oceans here.

Southern Indiana sure glaciers stopped there and it is much different.

my goal is to do several 50 mile rides a week depending on weather, time, laziness stuff like that. The summer rocks for me as I continue to get paid for nothing, so milage would increase as my fitness increases.

Yeah steel sounds wonderful...but what to look for? Some of the custom bikes I have seen in the gallery are brands i have never heard of.

So my knowledge is probably less then most.

If you want to talk mtbs, I can spout until I am blue in the face, but road...well I am a rookie.

Dave B
10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
life is more important.

Just for giggles sake, could you philophize a bit more. :D

Dave B
10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Mr. President,

Are you sure you are correct on sizing? I ride a 55-56cm frame and I am barely 5'9" with barely a 30" inseam. I would think at 6' you should be on a 57cm C-C frame or 58cm C-T. Based on your goals and fitness, I doubt you want a big bar to seat drop and that is more likely with a small frame.

Doug

Possibly, but when I "test" bikes I have been given a 58cm trek, 56 scott, 56 cannondale, and 56 serotta (fierte Ti) so I guess based on what I have been shown that is what the dealers/fitters thing is correct.

but maybe their idea of fit is different then it should be.

Volant
10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Have you ever had someone take your measurements and provide a proper fit for you? Having the right fit can make a huge difference in your cycling enjoyment.

soulspinner
10-15-2007, 01:07 PM
There are plenty of builders who can make a nice steel frame for under 1500. Carl Strong, Mike Desalvo to name a few. Hang a new Chorus group (under 1200) on it, pick up bits here and there and ride the hell out of it. Then if and when your conditioning and budget merits it, get a new wunderbike and keep the first one as backup. Its more important that you ride than what you ride.

Dave B
10-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Its more important that you ride than what you ride.

This is what prompted this thread, but I get goofy when I do not talk stuff out.

Jason E
10-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I think everyone should have Ergott's Zank.

gt6267a
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Not trying to be a hater … but what about taking a more fiscally conservative approach? Keep the friend, don’t borrow the money. You have one bike to use yes? Ride that bike! A mtn bike works on the road, you just go slower. Unless you are racing, it’s cool.

For discipline’s sake, open a bank account (or just keep track of it), and make payments to that bank account at the same rate you would have paid back your friend. While the pile of cashish grows month by month, take that time to research bikes, get a fitting, or simply enjoy checking the bank account and seeing that you have a nice pile of cash … The best part of this approach? In an interest bearing account, your cash works 8-5 just like you do. Your money gets pregnant and makes cash of its own!

Then when you have a nice pile of cabbage … go buy yourself a sweet bike without borrowing from a friend or the bank. Best yet some of the dinero will be funds you didn’t have to earn because your cash earned it. Sweetness. Now, go buy a car like that …

Dave B
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I love that bike!
The blue king/white frame...I have it as a background at work!

It is sweet, but yet I do not think it is available! :crap:

Ozz
10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Rule #2: Never loan money to a friend with the expectation that it will be paid back.

I'm not trying to be "Debbie Downer", but go back and read your "bankruptcy" thread of a couple months ago.

Work on your patience...ride the bike you have....save your money....buy new when you can pay cash.

That said....you don't know me and I don't know you so do what you want.

Good luck.

:beer:

Firenze
10-15-2007, 02:16 PM
There are some older steel bikes with old style 105 shifters on the down tube etc. These were wonderful bikes at the time. I rode a Centurion Dave Scott Ironman for years before getting the Litespeed. These bikes can be found on Craig’s List for a couple hundred $ or less. One of these older semi classics would get you out riding.

I am reminded of the CEO of a very large public company that went through a bankruptcy/reorg years ago. He put his Mercedes in the garage and drove a Plymouth through the entire proceedings and for months after. He taught us all that a little public humility goes a long way towards rebuilding a reputation.

Chad Engle
10-15-2007, 02:20 PM
For discipline’s sake, open a bank account (or just keep track of it), and make payments to that bank account at the same rate you would have paid back your friend. While the pile of cashish grows month by month, take that time to research bikes, get a fitting, or simply enjoy checking the bank account and seeing that you have a nice pile of cash … The best part of this approach? In an interest bearing account, your cash works 8-5 just like you do. Your money gets pregnant and makes cash of its own!

Then when you have a nice pile of cabbage … go buy yourself a sweet bike without borrowing from a friend or the bank. Best yet some of the dinero will be funds you didn’t have to earn because your cash earned it. Sweetness. Now, go buy a car like that …

+1000 By then you will have the bike question figured out.

Fixed
10-15-2007, 02:26 PM
bro i find many fine bikes can be had for a grand
imho cheers

Ken Robb
10-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I guess the fiscal resposibility has been covered so "UNcle Ken" says: try a nice used steel bike in a bigger size. I'm 6'1 and old so most of my bikes around 60cm c-c with 58-59cm top tubes. My Kirk is a 62 or 63cm. I have been mis-fit several times on 57-58cm bikes so I couldn't ride the drops for more than 5 minutes nor could I comfortably see far enough up the road for safety. I wear strong-prescription glasses so I have to bend my head back farther than non glasses wearers so I can look through the center of the lenses.

Several long-time riders have tried my biggish bikes and found them better than their own under-sized ones. I think too many sellers and buyers think everyone should look like pro racers on our bikes and this accounts for many of the twice-ridden premium bikes I have seen hanging dust-covered with flat tires in the garages of homes for sale. I was a broker. The heck of it is they were never my size. :crap:

I think you should be able to find a great rider for less than $1,000. I would buy the best fit and be happy with any gruppo from 105 or Veloce on up. They all work fine and it would be a mistake to pass on the many Shimano bikes while holding out for Campy. Additionally the cost of Campy parts like chains, brake pads, cassettes, etc. are more expensive than Shimano and a used bike might need some of these things replaced.

72gmc
10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Mr. President, I understand the urge to own. Believe me I do. But I do think the used/vintage road makes the most sense--especially vintage, because it's likely to be a middle-of-the road (once called "sport touring") geometry. You'll likely find it more versatile than a modern race bike. In my opinion, this is a much better platform for riding, experimenting, learning, figuring out what you want someday, or figuring out that this bike is what you want.

If new is needed, I'd look at an Ebisu road frame first, a Gunnar Sport second. With some judicious Classifieds purchases you can have a sweet bike and not borrow.

Dave B
10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
all of this helps thanks!

davids
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Commander in Chief:

Buy a Fierté Steel (http://www.serotta.com/fierte_steel/specs.html) with the SRAM Rival build kit. $3,050. The cheapest Serotta is still a handmade bicycle, and is every bit as high-quality a frame as the MeiVici. I think it's exactly what you need for the next three years.

Big Dan
10-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Buy a $400 dollars used bike and ride the crap out of it.

:)

jmeloy
10-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Possibly, but when I "test" bikes I have been given a 58cm trek, 56 scott, 56 cannondale, and 56 serotta (fierte Ti) so I guess based on what I have been shown that is what the dealers/fitters thing is correct.

but maybe their idea of fit is different then it should be.

El Presidente,
I am more along your lines... ~6.0 foot, 32 inseam and I ride 55-56's. Older and not as able to stretch out as I once was. A little comfort goes a long way. Currently ridding a carbon Bianchi and a steel Independent Fabrication. Don't be afraid to go "used" particularly from a forum member and get something with all components on. My IF ran ~$1600 with a mix of Chorus and Record and is a blast to ride!

J.Greene
10-15-2007, 03:45 PM
all of this helps thanks!

Mr. Pres,

We all love a new bike, but I suspect you'd have some remorse after the initial purchase. I wish you well.

JG

Dave B
10-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Ok, listen up folks.

I do not want a new bike, I want a used bike.

Whatever I have to spend will go further.

I have only bought race bikes in the past, I do not know much about touring, geo differences, and options.

I was simply looking for ideas.

Besides the person I responded to via PM whom I respect greatly, I can do with out all the pm's judging me with out knowing detailed situations.

Help is one thing, and I appreciate people's willingness to share their opinions, but for those of you who just want to reach out and crap on me. don't bother.

Thanks for all the help

dirtdigger88
10-15-2007, 04:46 PM
you opened the can up-

http://firstrung.co.uk/dbimgs/iStock_can%20of%20worms.jpg

Jason

J.Greene
10-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Help is one thing, and I appreciate people's willingness to share their opinions, but for those of you who just want to reach out and crap on me. don't bother.

Thanks for all the help

If that is directed at me I'm sorry for butting in. Sharing your very private life like you have on the net has it's perils. Maybe instead of asking for "any help or guidence" you should tell us what you want to hear.

sincerely,

JG

Dave B
10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
JG you r right. No I was not talking to you. Yes i did open this up, that was my mistake. There are several things to think a out, most importantly not about bikes at all.

I am grateful for the honesty I find here. It is refreshing even if it isn't always through rose colored glasses.

Again to all from every point of view thank you!

Prez

Sandy
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I wrote a long response to this thread, but when I tried to send it, I was prompted that I had not logged in. After doing so, I could not send the message. I do not want to rewrite it again at this time. Maybe later.

Sandy

Dave B
10-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Sandy with all we have talked I imagine the words you would share.

Thank you for your thoughts and guidance. You are a good friend...You and Kevan both...Imagine the both of you on the same page! :D

See folks I was just trying to bring people together!

CaptStash
10-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Mr. President,

I am relatively new to cycling but have jumped in with both feet and am having fun with it. I would like to suggest two separate concepts for you to consider, both of which will depend on your willingness to play around on either eBAy or Craig's List. I have become very active on eBay myself and prefer it over Craig's List because of the better selection.

1) Buy a bike you think you might like off of eBay. I recently purchased a full Dura Ace Javelin Brunello for $1250 delivered. (My idea was to buy the bike and part it out and make a profit -- I made about $100 so not such a brilliant concept after all the work). I also purchased an older titanium bike built by McMahon which I keep on the ship. It was only $550 and has a full DA 8 spd. kit. The bike rides like a dream and weighs about 19 pounds, but could easily be lightened to about 17 with another $500 worth of eBay upgrades. So for under $1000 a very cool bike could be had cheap. I have also seen plenty of older Serottas on eBay with the old 8 speed DA gruppo on them and they often go for under $1000.

2) If you are more mechanically inclined / adventurous: Buy a frame and then cobble the parts together to be built into a fun bike. That is how I built my Felt F1. I put the Felt together for about $2000 with a complete DA group including wheels. The whole beast weighs in at about 16 lbs without pedals and is great fun (if a little stiff) to ride.

Either way, you could get into a plenty good bike for well under your budget. I liked building the bike because I really wanted to know how to build-up a bike.

Good luck,

Saul aka CaptStash....