PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the head-ons....

Avispa
10-15-2007, 10:55 AM
This post was prompted primarily because of the launching of the new Serotta web site, which by the way, looks great! ;)

I was looking at the new additions to the 2008 MeiVici, just to see what I would be missing, since I had just ordered one of these bikes... The first thing I saw, was the addition of new head-ons.

I was not too disappointed to know that my bike does NOT have these new head-ons. One reason, is that I realize I have hardly, if ever, have used these things! Maybe once when I had brand new cables. In that occasion, I got off the bike and did a better dérailleur adjustment, instead of fussing with the head-ons, which seem to be always too tight to turn anyway! Also, since the Campy Ultra Narrow chain came around, I never seem to have any shifting problems!

What about yourself? Do you use these things at all? Have they proven useful to you?

..A..

Ozz
10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Never.....I have no idea how to use them and am afraid any problem I try to solve with them would only be made worse.

PBWrench
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Never!

CNY rider
10-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I use the head-ons on my Legend for minor fine tuning if I'm not interested in stopping for an adjustment.
If they're set up right initially then they shouldn't be too tight to turn. Problem is I think many bikes are set up with them already turned all the way in, allowing for no adjustability.

This post was prompted primarily because of the launching of the new Serotta wen site, which by the way, looks great! ;)

I was looking at the new additions to the 2008 MeiVici, just to see what I would be missing, since I had just ordered one of these bikes... The first thing I saw, was the addition of new head-ons.

I was not too disappointed to know that my bike does have these new head-ons. One reason, is that I realize I have hardly, if ever, have used these things! Maybe once when I had brand new cables. In that occasion, I rather got off the bike and did a better dérailleur adjustment, instead of fussing with the head-ons, which seem to be always too tight to turn anyway! Also, since the Campy Ultra Narrow chain came around, I never seem to have any shifting problems!

What about yourself? Do you use these things at all? Have they proven useful to you?

..A..

Bill Bove
10-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Set up properly you really shouldn't need to use the head ons but on the new Sram stuff there is no barrell adjuster on the derailer. A trick I've learned is to shift into the largest cog in the back, stop peddeling-shift all the way down to the smallest cog with out pedaling, that will put plenty of slack in the cable to use the head ons, now shift back up to the big cog before you start spinning and check your adjustment.

slowgoing
10-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I like the Shimano downtube barrel adjusters with the little tab - they work well. But I'm still more likely to adjust the one on the der.

And the head ons on Parlees are big and turn easily.

gt6267a
10-15-2007, 02:10 PM
head-ons? is that like a post-surgery term for head-lights?