PDA

View Full Version : Best, Widest Clincher

saab2000
10-14-2007, 11:33 PM
OK, so even I do ride some clincher tires. The roads here in Michigan really are kinda bad. Some are full of pot holes and some are patched over the patches. And some have just a really coarse surface. Seriously coarse. No biggie. But we need to deal with this issue a bit.

I am looking for some tires which are wide and comfy but give up nothing in terms of performance.

What's the story with Michelin? I have heard that their 23s are more like 25s. Is this accurate? Are they good at 7 BAR/100 PSI?

Really I am just looking for a 'performance' tire, but am open to all ideas.

Thanks!

Performance and comfort above durability, which is less important 'cuz I have a number of bikes to spread the mileage among.

don compton
10-15-2007, 12:00 AM
if your frame has enough space, try the "grand bois cerf" tire. it comes in a 700x28 that weighs about 245 grams. i don't race, but on my fast club rides i haven't noticed any disadvantage. on bumpy roads( typical in back roads in california), they area revelation.
don compton :beer:

maunahaole
10-15-2007, 12:02 AM
First post, but I can give you and answer...

I have found the michelins to run a little bigger than a Continental in the same size. In addition, they seem to have a rounder profile and slightly softer carcass. The 700x25 michelin is a pretty big meaty tire. I have ridden the krylion carbon in the 25 size and had good results. It is noticeably stiffer than the other tires, so if you are light (I'm 250+) you may not like the ride. I have riun the krylion at up to 120psi on a mavic rim without incident. It is also reasonably puncture and cut resistant when new.

jbl
10-15-2007, 12:11 AM
I run the Pro2Race 23mm with 105psi front and 110psi back. I love it. I actually can't recall flatting on either of two sets I've had over 5,000+ mi. This is in New York City and my bad habit of riding through cr*p instead of riding around. I might try the 25mm next.

Orin
10-15-2007, 12:13 AM
I'll second the suggestion of the Grand Bois tires. The Cypres, marked 700x30, more like 31.5 on my rims are really nice at soaking up the bumps. The Cerfs run a little over 28mm and are almost as smooth. There is a possibility of them producing 700x26 tires in the future.

Michelins do run fat and their 23s do run closer to some other manufacturers 25s. The 25s will run 27 or so on some rims!

You don't want 100psi in these tires if you are looking for comfort. A wider tire with the same pressure will be less comfortable than a narrower tire! But, at the same pressure, a wider tire will have LOWER rolling resistance. The advantage of the wider tire is that you can run a lower pressure to gain comfort without risking pinch flats or increasing rolling resistance. This does however require a high quality wider tire. A high pressure rating is not indicative of the kind of wider tire you want. A high pressure rating means thicker reinforced sidewalls and more rolling resistance. There's a reason why the pressure ratings on the Michelins are lower than the competition...

Today, I was on 700x25 Michelin Dynamics with about 80psi in them (at least that's what I put in them on Thursday), leading a strenuous ride. No problems keeping up due to the tires.

Orin.

dave thompson
10-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Bontrager makes some very nice 700X25 in RaceLite and RaceXLite, both of which are very good tires that I've had a fair amount of experience with. They run true to size, quite cut-resistant and feel very good on the road. They're on all the family bikes.

I recently bought a pair of Bontrager RaceLite in 700X28 that I'm quite happy with but they may not fit on all bikes.

cs124
10-15-2007, 05:26 AM
+1 on the Bontragers. I've used Race Lite 700x25 on the commuter bike for ~12 months... roll and corner well, hard wearing and cut resistant. If they fit I'll try the 28s next time.

Ray
10-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Never tried the Gran Bois (although I might for this winter) but I ride Michelins all the time. Yeah, they run wide. The 23s are wider than most 25s and the 25s are wider than most 28s. And they roll well and turn in really nicely by virtue of their very round profile. I run the 23s on my 'fast' bike at about 100-105 psi and 25s on my more relaxed, more versatile bike at about 90-100 psi. They're both great tires. The 25s are available in Pro Race and Krylon levels - I tend to run the krylons in the winter because they're a bit tougher, and the pro race in the summer when I'm usually feeling slightly less slow.

-Ray

merckx
10-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Vittoria Open Pave Evo. Really nice, tire.

djg
10-15-2007, 06:46 AM
SAAB, the Vittoria EVO Pave tubular is a good tire -- long wearing, but still supple and still offering good grip -- so maybe the open (clincher) version is worth checking out.

I think that the Pro 2 Race tires are pretty good clinchers. Folks in this thread say they run big relative to others, which may be right but somewhat misleading. I think that the 25 is an actual 25 (whereas some clincher "25" tires are really 23 or so if you measure). This is a good tire for rough roads and fall/winter riding and you can drop the pressure a bit to smooth out the ride.

flydhest
10-15-2007, 07:20 AM
saab,
I have always liked the way Michelins ride. The 25s are likley the ticket you're looking for. A year or two ago, I would have never uttered the following (in fact, I think I took exception to some here who said it then) but the very latest iteration of the Conti gatorskins are worlds better than the previous version. We got some 28s to go on the tandem. I have some 25s on my CSi. I'm just waiting for the ones on my CSi to go (I've been looking for glass, potholes, etc) because I don't like them at all. The new ones, however, that we have on the tandem, are noticeably better, smoother, yummier (whatever that means) and seem just as tough. The 28s are likely the same width as the Michelin 25s from what I can tell.

regularguy412
10-15-2007, 07:22 AM
I've had good luck with Vredestein Fortezza SE's. Their 23's appear to be slightly larger (maybe 24~25) and have a very round profile (similar to the Michelins). They have a dual compound tread and can handle up to 150 psi, if needed. I'm currently using 4 of these tires. One set is on my Open Pros , one tire has been relegated to trainer use due to a small tread cut (after 2,500 miles on the road ) and one is on the front of my back-up set of wheels. Even though one developed a tread cut, it didn't get bigger and, to date, I've had no flats with these tires. The good news is: they can usually be found at Perf on sale for about $23 each.

Mike in AR

Erik.Lazdins
10-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Its listed as a 25, mine measure at 26.6 - 26.8 mm wide at 85-90 psi on Campagnolo wheels.

They are the best tire I've ridden*

*I have not ridden tubulars

sg8357
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Fat tire roll call

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX, now in 25mm, 24.5 actual, fastest in BQ test.
Michelin Pro Race 25, actual 26mm, works great at 100psi
Rivendell Rolly Poly 27mm actual
Gran Bois Cerf 28mm actual, like the Vittoria, is lightly built, if the flat gods hate you stay away.
Gran Bois Cypres 31.5 actual
Panaracer Pasela 32 & 35, both slightly undersized 31 & 34 actual,
but decent flat resistance.

PBWrench
10-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I ride Michelin Pro Race 25s on my ss and love them. 90 front/ 95 rear.

RPS
10-15-2007, 09:11 AM
On narrow rims my 23 MM Michelin Pro Race 2s only measure 22.9 MM at 80 PSI and 23.4 MM at 100 PSI.

I have room for much wider but see little point in it since I can ride these at 60 PSI if I wanted (although I don’t see the need for that either).

rpm
10-15-2007, 09:21 AM
I'd put Conti 4000 25's on your short list. They're fatter than a Michelin 23 but not as fat as a Michelin 25, and have better puncture resistance and last longer than the PR2s. I see that that they're now available with Conti's new "Chili" tread compound, which will make them really fast and light, too.

Ken Robb
10-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I avoid any tire under 700x25 so here are some I like:
700x25: Conti Ultragatorskins and GP 4000, Vredesteins Fortezza,

700x27-28: UltragGatorskins, Rivendell Roly-poly and Ruffy-Tuffy, Panaracer Pasela.

700x32-35: Pasela.

I have used some others but these are the tires that had no great performance penalty for the cushy ride and flat protection in my usage. The Paselas w/o Tourguard are still very flat resistant so you can save a few grams and $$$ by getting them vs. the TG models. Heck, Nashbar sometimes has the wire bead Paselas for about $12 and that would let you try the fattest tires that will fit in you frame/fork to see how you like the ride. If it's good for you, and I think it will be, you can buy/test more expensive tires later.

I like the way MIchelins ride but I get way too many flats on them.

Ken Robb
10-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Some forumites have ridden my bikes with these tires and maybe they will comment here as to whether they felt slower tan the skinnier tires they usually ride. They won't hurt my feelings if they think I'm full of beans---------on this matter. :)

PBWrench
10-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I felt much slower in San Diego, but it could have been all the burritos.

palincss
10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
What's the story with Michelin? I have heard that their 23s are more like 25s. Is this accurate? Are they good at 7 BAR/100 PSI?

The story with Michelin 25s is that they actually are 25mm, unlike many other 25s which are actually narrower.

As for the pressure question, that's best answered with a question in turn: how much weight, and how is it distributed?

palincss
10-15-2007, 10:45 AM
You don't want 100psi in these tires if you are looking for comfort. A wider tire with the same pressure will be less comfortable than a narrower tire! But, at the same pressure, a wider tire will have LOWER rolling resistance. The advantage of the wider tire is that you can run a lower pressure to gain comfort without risking pinch flats or increasing rolling resistance. This does however require a high quality wider tire. A high pressure rating is not indicative of the kind of wider tire you want. A high pressure rating means thicker reinforced sidewalls and more rolling resistance. There's a reason why the pressure ratings on the Michelins are lower than the competition...

Today, I was on 700x25 Michelin Dynamics with about 80psi in them (at least that's what I put in them on Thursday), leading a strenuous ride. No problems keeping up due to the tires.

Orin.

At 210 lb I run my Michelin 700x25 Axial Carbons at just over 85 front, just under 95 rear. I usually carry around 5 or 6 lb of stuff in a rear bag, too. I don't get pinch flats, and with this pressure the tires are comfortable and ride smoothly. If I'd run up to 100 or over, they'd be pretty harsh-riding. (I found my current pressure with trial-and-error.)

Ken Robb
10-15-2007, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=. (I found my current pressure with trial-and-error.)[/QUOTE]

I hope it was more trial than error :beer:

Ginger
10-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Saab,

I've been running my tubulars lately and I love those, however in the clincher world I've been running Michilin Carbons and the Pro2Race tires at the 25 width and about 90lbs for a few years now. They're pretty good on the rough stuff.

Ken Robb
10-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I wonder: we always comment on Michelins being fatter than most supposedly equal size tires but can it be that they are just rounder in profile? The most obvious opposite shape is that of the older Paselas in 700x28 and 32 that were quite a bit narrower than the stated size but were also taller than the Michelins. I wonder how the volume of the tires compare. Is the 25mm or 23mm number really supposed to be the width or a representation of volume?

I know that when checking tire clearance on my bikes sometimes the critical measurement is tire width and sometimes it's tire height.

Steve Hampsten
10-15-2007, 11:05 AM
As much as I love the Michelin 25mm Pro Race, Vittoria's 24mm Pave with green tread is my new favorite.

Expensive, hard to find, durable, and grippy.

Me likey.

Waiting for the 27mm version in clincher.

RPS
10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
I wonder: we always comment on Michelins being fatter than most supposedly equal size tires but can it be that they are just rounder in profile? The most obvious opposite shape is that of the older Paselas in 700x28 and 32 that were quite a bit narrower than the stated size but were also taller than the Michelins. I wonder how the volume of the tires compare. Is the 25mm or 23mm number really supposed to be the width or a representation of volume?

I know that when checking tire clearance on my bikes sometimes the critical measurement is tire width and sometimes it's tire height.
Interesting that you consider the tire's volume and not just the width.

More interesting still is that even though many argue that bikes don't need to be more comfortable, many here are obviously taking steps to move in that general direction.

dauwhe
10-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm rather pleased with Pro2Race 25mm. Fast, wears well, only one flat this year.

Not as comfy as the Trimline, though! Of course, that was 650B x 37mm!

Dave

Orin
10-15-2007, 11:44 AM

It's more like the bead to bead width of the (uninstalled) tire when flattened out. What determines how round the tire is when inflated, I don't really know. Perhaps the shape of the mold along with thickness of tread?

Orin.

Ozz
10-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Do the Michelin 25's (Pro2Race) fit under an F2 fork?

Erik.Lazdins
10-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Do the Michelin 25's (Pro2Race) fit under an F2 fork?

Yes they fit under an F2 Fork.

chrisroph
10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
saab-- my favs are open vittoria cx 23--really nice riding, grippy, supple for a clincher, and reasonable wear, especially in the front, or michelin pro race 2 in 23. I sometimes run the vittoria as a front tire only with a conti or michelin in the rear, but I tend to ride the michelins together. The michelins seem more durable and long wearing than the vittorias but atmo don't ride quite as nice.

Ken Robb
10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
another thing to consider re: will a tire have enough clearance. What kind of wheels are you running? If they are 36 spoke super-strongs you don't need much room because a broken spoke won't let the rim deform much. If you ride on super light racers with few spokes at high tension one broken spoke might cause the wheel to lock up and end your ride.

saab2000
10-15-2007, 12:43 PM
These will be used on my CIII initially with Nucleon clinchers and an O2 fork.

I am definitely looking for some biggish tires, like the Vittoria Pave clinchers mentioned.

The roads around here are rough, no doubt about that.

There is no doubt that the good tubulars are more comfortable than comparable clinchers.

But I am looking some honest 25s or even 28s for the rough pavement around here. I never get pinch flats, but the jarring ride is something I would like to smooth out. Never thought I would say that, but I had never ridden on roads like this before either. BTW, not all of them are bad roads, but some of them are quite bad.

Ginger
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
These will be used on my CIII initially with Nucleon clinchers and an O2 fork.

I am definitely looking for some biggish tires, like the Vittoria Pave clinchers mentioned.

The roads around here are rough, no doubt about that.

There is no doubt that the good tubulars are more comfortable than comparable clinchers.

But I am looking some honest 25s or even 28s for the rough pavement around here. I never get pinch flats, but the jarring ride is something I would like to smooth out. Never thought I would say that, but I had never ridden on roads like this before either. BTW, not all of them are bad roads, but some of them are quite bad.

Saab,
It's the secret testing ground of the big 3...Someone needs to tell me why the state that is the home of the auto industry has some of the crummiest roads in the nation.

Ken Robb
10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I felt much slower in San Diego, but it could have been all the burritos.
Oh jeez--now we're discusiing "gas-powered" vehicles. :rolleyes:

dirtdigger88
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
These will be used on my CIII initially with Nucleon clinchers and an O2 fork. . . .

But I am looking some honest 25s or even 28s for the rough pavement around here.

with this in mind- I would say here are your options

PR 25- they fit what you are asking for- a large volume true 25 that will fit under your F2

Vittoria Paves- a much nicer tire- only a 24 and only really availble in Green- unless you stocked up on the limited edition all black ones like I did-

Ultra Gator Skins- their 28s are really more like a 25- personally I dont like the rubber compound on these- but thats just me

Rolly Polly/ Ruffy Tuffy- a nice round 27 that will just fit under an F2- the Rollys ride nicer the Ruffys are stronger

Im sure Im missing one or two but these are some of the larger tires I have tried-

jason

musgravecycles
10-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Saab, the Pave's were my go-to tire for southwest MI riding. I have a feeling that you want something that's still reasonably 'fast' which a lot of what has been recommended is not.

My top 3 clinchers for SW-MI are:

1: Pave's

2: Pro2-R 25's

Somewhat distant 3'rd are GP 4k's in 25.

mschol17
10-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Saab,
It's the secret testing ground of the big 3...Someone needs to tell me why the state that is the home of the auto industry has some of the crummiest roads in the nation.

Fall. Winter. Fall. Winter. Fall. Winter. Winter. Winter. Winter. Spring. Winter. Winter. Summer. Spring. Winter.... etc.

Snow in November almost guaranteed, and sometimes as late as May. Lots of freezing and re-thawing, and slush.

The state's economy isn't doing so well, either. We have a house for sale in Holland that's been available for over a year and a half....

rnhood
10-15-2007, 03:41 PM
The ProRace 25 is a much better riding tire than the 23 - imho. The Specialized All Condition 28 is also a great riding tire and, if anything is on the small side of 28. So, it fits fine on the standard Ouzo Pro forks.

vaxn8r
10-15-2007, 03:52 PM
The PR2 23 and 25 are near perfect clinchers when you balance out ride, handling, wear etc. I don't think SAAB would like the 25's on his race bike because, well, he is a bike racer and 25's aren't seen at bike races. Not that you couldn't but come on, who races 25-28c tires?

I use 25 PR2's on my CoMo single and tandem and they are perfect for those applications.

Gatorskins are skinny. I bought some 25's which are really 23's. I guess they're OK but I am kinda pissed about how skinny they are. Not cheap either.

To me the biggest drawback with PR2's is that they don't come in black :crap: What is Michelin thinking? Light grey? Red? Blue? Yellow? Please! If nothing else I'm gonna try Conti 4000's, only because they come in black.

dirtdigger88
10-15-2007, 03:55 PM
To me the biggest drawback with PR2's is that they don't come in black :crap: What is Michelin thinking? Light grey? Red? Blue? Yellow? Please!

vax

the dark grey/ black may as well be all black

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=ZOOM&PRODUCT.ID=1479

jason

RPS
10-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Saab, if you never get pinch flats, then you don't know what your low pressure limits are. IMO you can do a little experimenting until you find out how much air pressure you really need. You may not need larger tires if you can run the same pressure on 23s and not flat.

I'm in the camp who believes that at the same air pressure the smaller tire will ride as good or better. The main disadvantage versus a larger tire is more pinch flats.

palincss
10-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm in the camp who believes that at the same air pressure the smaller tire will ride as good or better.

Well certainly -- if you ran them at the same pressure, you'd either be seriously underinflated with the narrow one, or grossly overinflated with the wider one.

Moosedryvr
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Late as usual to post (another busy day at the office), but here's my $.02 S2K. Try the Michelin PR2 in 25mm, I think that they will be exactly what your are looking for. I finally tried a pair earlier this summer after several suggestions from Steve Hampsten (and if he likes the Paves better, maybe I need to pick up a pair of those too - do you have any extras Steve?) and can't see myself switching back to 23mm tires anytime soon. The PR2 25s are plenty "fast" (I can honestly say I notice no difference in speed compared to running 23mm tires) but are significantly more comfortable, especially on rough roads. If you don't like them I'll buy them from you after you've tried them. They really are, for my money, the best all around tire I've ever ridden.
This past week I finally built up a Riv Ramboulliet I've had sitting in the basement for the past 10 mos and put 30mm Gran Bois tires on it. These are nice "fat tire" tires, but not what I think you, who I believe are more "race bike" oriented, are looking for. The Gran Bois are great for the type of bike they are designed for, but I think you'd have a hard time fitting them between the chain stays on any serious "go fast" bike, they are seriously wide. Although I'll probably get flamed for it, I don't thick the Gran Bois hold a candle to the Michelins in the quality of construction either. The Michelin is a pro peloton worthy race tire IMO, the Gran Bois, while nice, is not in the same league with the Michelins.
Have fun experimenting and let us know what you think. The Paves would be cool and something different (which is always good in my book) but if you want tried and true give the PR2s a look. My offer to buy your slightly used tires is serious, too!

Shawn G

Grant McLean
10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Well certainly -- if you ran them at the same pressure, you'd either be seriously underinflated with the narrow one, or grossly overinflated with the wider one.

+1

definitely try some lower pressure with the larger volume tires

-g

saab2000
10-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Tonight I did 43 miles out east of Grand Rapids on Grand River Road. Seriously crappy road. Crumbling black top, pot holes inside of pot holes and patches over patches.

I have a Zéfal pressure guage which I believe to be quite accurate. I inflated my Vittoria Open CX tubulars (don't know which submodel) 23 mm (or maybe 22) to 105 or so in the rear and about 100 in the front.

I will try to get some 25 mm Michelins. The Vittoria Pavés sound great, but the green color kind of turns me off, as does the fact that they are only nominally 1 or 2 mm wider than my current ones.

I don't know why I don't pinch flat. But I think I ride 'lightly' if that makes sense and rarely have my full body weight impacting a hole or bump. I am no lightweight at about 180-185 at the moment so I should be flatting, but have seriously only ever had one pinch flat that I am aware of and it was in a Superweek race foolishly raced on clinchers in 1988.

I digress. I will try to get some of the Michelins.

Thanks to all who have suggested things!

What I really need to do is just get back on my tubulars! :banana:

Grant McLean
10-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX, now in 25mm, 24.5 actual, fastest in BQ test.

Great tire.

I don't think the word is really out that Vittoria now has the basic black 700x25
open corsa cx in their line up! (we're not talkin' paves here, or LTD editions)

Look no further, this is the one you want if you need a black tire this size... imho.

-g

saab2000
10-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't think the word is really out that Vittoria now has the basic black 700x25
open corsa cx in their line up!

Where to purchase? I would buy.

dirtdigger88
10-15-2007, 09:19 PM
he's right- its in their line up- OMF'ING!!!!

http://www.vittoria.com/index3.asp?lingua=en

http://www.fullcycles.com/product_info.php/products_id/917

Jason

RPS
10-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Please define how you determine grossly over or under inflated when applied to riders like me at 150 pounds versus someone who is 200 pounds or more. All I was saying is that not everyone needs 25s or larger to run low pressure.

Grant McLean
10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Please define how you determine grossly over or under inflated when applied to riders like me at 150 pounds versus someone who is 200 pounds or more. All I was saying is that not everyone needs 25s or larger to run low pressure.

well, you're the math guy.
what's the difference in air volume between a 700x23 tire and a 700x25 tire?

When it comes to size vs. pressure, the way I look at it is "how much air is in my tires"?
The same amount of air is in there, if the larger tire has less pressure.

-g

RPS
10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
well, you're the math guy.
what's the difference in air volume between a 700x23 tire and a 700x25 tire?

When it comes to size vs. pressure, the way I look at it is "how much air is in my tires"?
The same amount of air is in there, if the larger tire has less pressure.

-gThat's funny Grant. What makes you think I'm the math guy? :confused:

Ginger
10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
That's funny Grant. What makes you think I'm the math guy? :confused:

That explains so much.

RPS
10-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Grant and Ginger, my older brother is the mathematician in the family, and has been teaching math for about 30 years; although IMO his real passion is coaching, not math.

I’m just an engineer and appreciate math mostly for allowing me to relate to the physical world. Math in a theoretical sense is not at the top of my list.

As to bicycle tires and their total air volume, if you analyzed what impact the actual air volume in the tire makes you’ll find that it is insignificant for the most part. And yes, you might even need a little math to see why that’s the case.

C5 Snowboarder
10-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Well - engineers and math enthusiasts -- do not forget to take into account if you use CO2 or just plain air in your tires. Argon too possibly.

The compressibility is different due to the fact there is 78% nitrogen in the air we breathe and if you use a CO2 canister you need a different tire pressure. I know it is nit picky but some may want this totally useless info anyway. :rolleyes: :argue:

http://www.physlink.com/reference/AirComposition.cfm

http://www.cp-industries.com/Compressability.htm

dauwhe
10-16-2007, 11:14 AM

All I've heard is the "15% drop" rule from Frank Berto. I think he said tires were designed to drop 15% when weighted. There was a chart in BQ a few issues ago. The pressures were lower than you'd think.

Jobst Brandt disagreed, but then his ideal tire would be a steel train wheel :)

Dave

RPS
10-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Well - engineers and math enthusiasts -- do not forget to take into account if you use CO2 or just plain air in your tires. Argon too possibly.

The compressibility is different due to the fact there is 78% nitrogen in the air we breathe and if you use a CO2 canister you need a different tire pressure. I know it is nit picky but some may want this totally useless info anyway. :rolleyes: :argue:

http://www.physlink.com/reference/AirComposition.cfm

http://www.cp-industries.com/Compressability.htm
Snowboarder, I'm not sure where you are headed with this, but how much compression of the air (or any other gas) do you think there is inside your bike tires after they are inflated to the correct pressure before a ride?

RPS
10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
All I've heard is the "15% drop" rule from Frank Berto. I think he said tires were designed to drop 15% when weighted. There was a chart in BQ a few issues ago. The pressures were lower than you'd think.

Jobst Brandt disagreed, but then his ideal tire would be a steel train wheel :)

Dave
If you assume that a nice tire is very flexible and that all the load is supported due to the internal air pressure (i.e. -- that it can't support any load without air), then to get the same amount of deflection requires air pressure to be somewhat proportional to the rider's weight. So if I ride at 90 PSI, my wife would have to ride the same tire at about 60 PSI in order to get it to deform the same amount. That's what I was leading to earlier -- not everyone needs larger tires to run low pressure.

And if she rode my 23 MM Michelin PR2s at 60 PSI, I wouldn't consider them grossly under inflated.

Fixed
10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
come on bro 60 pounds in a road tire, why not just ride a mt bike ?
cheers

dauwhe
10-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I rode my Saluki at 45-50psi, with 37mm tires. Smooth & fast on the road!

Dave

Fixed
10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
bro the mile high club you must be a member ? any good tales ?
cheers :beer:

musgravecycles
10-16-2007, 08:32 PM
The Vittoria Pavés sound great, but the green color kind of turns me off, as does the fact that they are only nominally 1 or 2 mm wider than my current ones.

Saab you may already know this but the Pave isn't just a 1mm wider version of the open corsa cx (the 25mm open corsa's are), it's a different tire. The 24mm Pave is a more durable tire than the 25mm open corsa...

saab2000
10-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Saab you may already know this but the Pave isn't just a 1mm wider version of the open corsa cx (the 25mm open corsa's are), it's a different tire. The 24mm Pave is a more durable tire than the 25mm open corsa...

I am aware that the tread is 'coarser' on the Pave. I have tried some years ago in Switzerland. Wasn't all that wild about them. But then again the roads there were generally very good and not suited for tires of that sort. I used everything over there, but of course the best rides ever there took place on Vittoria CX tubulars.

My instincts tell me that the 25 Corsas are what I am looking for! (Actually, my instincts tell me much more than that, but for the purpose of the discussion of hi-perf clinchers, it'll have to do....)

Fixed, can't 'kiss and tell' about that Mile High club. I personally know some members, but I ain't one of them. yet. Gotta a good tale to tell though, but only in person out swimming in a lake or in a random taxi. Both places impossible to bug! The FAA must not know! :D

Fixed
10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
saab = james bond
cheers imho :beer:

saab2000
10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
saab = james bond
cheers imho :beer:

Mr. Bond is my hero! All the good ski chases take place in Switzerland. And one of the movies was filmed at Piz Gloria/Schilthorn, a place I visited frequently! Spectacular doesn't even begin to describe. Nauseating and dizzying come to mind.... What a place!

I have read all the original Ian Fleming novels. Super duper books!

Fixed
10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
bro i have a fixed mt bike with 1 1/4 " slick tires they hold 100 psi ride great .
c heers