PDA

View Full Version : weekend ride report

Fixed
10-14-2007, 09:20 PM
bro 3 hrs on the miele fix it was cool just rode around the city .took the rear brake off put some egg beaters on new bar tape
all's good cheers imho

MRB
10-14-2007, 09:27 PM
after church I did a cool MTB ride with another friend. It was about a 40 mi loop. The last 12 miles were on the road, which was not so cool. We can down a canyon filled with some cool old growth timber. The Aspen trees were in full color, with a stunning golden yellow.

My riding partner told me that he likes to do fall MTB rides instead of CX, which kind of bummed me out because I just bought a CX bike.

thwart
10-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Good to hear you're still happy and kicking after that wheel catastrophe. ;)

That Miele is a pretty bike!

jbl
10-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Took a supremely easy ride with my riding buddy on Saturday. What a great day. Blue skies, puffy clouds, sunny, not too much wind. The only spoiler was almost getting a ticket for riding side-by-side. :crap: It was just such a beautiful day, and we were having a nice chat and forgot about the single-file law on that stretch of road.

saab2000
10-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Finally a ride report!

Yesterday about 48 miles along the Potomac on the bike path. Nothing too hard as the bike path is the equivelant of an L.A. expressway on the weekends. Except south of Alexandria there are some more open areas.

Today just 35 miles to the end of the Capital Crescent trail in Bethesda and then back roaring along the Rock Creek Park and Wisconsin Ave. into Georgetown. The lights are badly timed.

Also, the trails are ultra crowded on weekends in the DC area and from where I stay in Arlington there are no other options I'm aware of unless I get much further out of town, which I can't when I'm on call.

Anyway, the Look KG381i is turning out to be a good call. I have about 1000 miles on it for the season and it's everything and more I hoped for when I bought it this time last year.

So for the weekend I did just 80 some odd miles total, but that's 80 some odd miles more than nothing and a great time was had by all. :banana:

jeffg
10-14-2007, 11:29 PM
rode 1.5 hours yesterday and 2.25 today.

Probably about 50 miles but with about 7500 feet of climbing repeats, so moving in the right direction ...

Learning about that TSS thing. Have no idea what 285 is or isn't for these brief weekend rides, but that will come. Still think the powertap is a bit off ..

swoop
10-15-2007, 01:31 AM
i had a lance moment on saturday on coast highway. he waved.... i didn't. it was too surreal. did that just happen?

soulspinner
10-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Finally a ride report!

Yesterday about 48 miles along the Potomac on the bike path. Nothing too hard as the bike path is the equivelant of an L.A. expressway on the weekends. Except south of Alexandria there are some more open areas.

Today just 35 miles to the end of the Capital Crescent trail in Bethesda and then back roaring along the Rock Creek Park and Wisconsin Ave. into Georgetown. The lights are badly timed.

Also, the trails are ultra crowded on weekends in the DC area and from where I stay in Arlington there are no other options I'm aware of unless I get much further out of town, which I can't when I'm on call.

Anyway, the Look KG381i is turning out to be a good call. I have about 1000 miles on it for the season and it's everything and more I hoped for when I bought it this time last year.

So for the weekend I did just 80 some odd miles total, but that's 80 some odd miles more than nothing and a great time was had by all. :banana:

Like the way that bike shows an all business attitude-long and low-ride me hard or take another bike.

MarleyMon
10-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Just outside Bloomington, IN. 50 miles and 3500' both Sat. and Sunday. They claim 5000 riders, though seemed fewer than last year. This is really a great, well organized event. Saw a sweet Ottrot w/ red tinted carbon first thing Sat. - rider said he loved it (of course). Other Serotta's spotted - several Fiertes, a yellow Legend Ti and a Colorado AL. Saw several MX Leaders, lots of Litespeeds (I think they were a college team) Cannondale Synapse & CAAD7/8, an incredible Parlee w/ Record (real nice guy, too) quite a few Waterfords (one the most beautiful blue), many Bianchi's also and a ton o' Treks. Also a lot of Specalized (a surprising number) and very few Giants, although the guy on the TCR team ed. raved about his.
Weather was chilly Sat. 40º at the start 60º at noon, mostly cloudy. Sat.'s route had more car traffic and people seem not to have mastered "keep to the right", but no real trouble.
Sun. was warmer w/ a little sun. It had a really great new section through Morgan/Monroe St. Forest, w/ fresh pavement. Leaving the park is a new 1 mile, 11% grade hill from a dead stop (gotta cross the highway, turn left and climb), new scenic lunch stop. Fall color is not here due to summer drought and 90º temps through last weekend, so not as "colorish" as past years. Great snacks/lunch - they really have it down.
I rode w/ a compact 36/50 and 12/27 as opposed to my low gear of 30x34 last year, made it up all the hills, including a 20% 1/3 mile section (Mt. Tabor), so I'm pleased about that.
Only downside was my riding pal, on his birthday Sat., cramped bad and had to walk the last 2 hills, blew off Sunday.
I had a blast, thats for sure.

Tom
10-15-2007, 06:43 AM
Saturday went about 45 or so up on the hills west of town, supposed to go easy and was partly successful. It was encouraging because I was able to take it easy up a hill that at the first part of the year is quite a test. I didn't stick with the plan on the way home because I had a nice tail wind and when in front of a tail wind what is one to do?

What do wooly bear caterpillars become? The question occurred to me because it's that time of year and there are a million of them on the road.

It's been so warm here that the trees haven't changed in two weeks. What started to turn just stayed put and the ones that didn't start haven't.

Sunday I skipped. House work, yard work and then the winds kicked up and I decided to go with the burnout. So I made a pumpkin pie and an apple pie and a couple of loaves of bread. The bread tastes great but the dough was too wet for the baguette pans with holes in them and I had to rip it off leaving the bottom crust behind. It sagged into the holes and anchored itself. Bummer.

Sandy
10-15-2007, 07:05 AM
I only rode 20 miles for the entire week. My wife had an accident and I have had to take care of her. In addition, it is difficult for me to go ride by myself. A club ride or a scheduled ride with a friend or friends gives me a committment.

!0 miles on Friday and 10 miles on Saturday- Almost no cardio or muscular benefit. At least I got on the bike. Really did miss the longer group rides. Hope to do more this week.

Ride whenever you can, dudes and dudettes- You never know when and why you will be sidelined.

Sidelined Serotta Sandy aka Nurse Sandy

Elefantino
10-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Did 94 miles with my new riding partner.

She's awesome. Two months on the bike and she can hang.

Steelhead
10-15-2007, 07:19 AM
i had a lance moment on saturday on coast highway. he waved.... i didn't. it was too surreal. did that just happen?

H emust be jet setting it becasue I saw him Sunday at the Livestrong Ride in Tx.

That would have been a great ride if it were on some decent roads without 12+ cattle guards. Man what a beating we took. But it was for a good cause and as usual they had great volunteers, rest stops, etc... I did the 90 mile loop as they revised the century due to the tough course down to 90. Elevation gain was a little over 6000 ft and I finished in 6:10 so I'm happy with that. I saw a beautiful Legend Ti that was half and half cobalt blue paint on polished Ti, with yellow logos. Beautiful - and what a pretty sunrise and a lot of pretty views of Texas rach land and a ride along some of the Blanco river

aLexis
10-15-2007, 08:48 AM
We rode with a friend of ours, who is a couple of months free of cancer. She
still has chemo to take and hasn't been riding as much as she would like. The plan was to just do 10 miles, but we talked her into 45. At about 30, she was having a hard time with the hills and the time on the bike, so finishing became a group effort. I am very proud of her for hanging in there, and she was excited to have ridden further than she has since being diagnosed in August 2005.

The roads were definitely rough and the cattle guards were plenty, but it was a beautiful day in the Texas hill country in a lot of ways.

2LeftCleats
10-15-2007, 09:12 AM
As noted in a post previously in this thread, a well-run event. There was a unicycle team (almost sounds like an oxymoron) from Purdue,I think, that wasn't quite able to complete the course. However, a lone unicyclist was able to do the entire route. I passed one of them yesterday going uphill with a mountain bike tire, smile on his face, and abrasions on his inner thighs. (I didn't ask)

Fixed
10-15-2007, 09:20 AM
We rode with a friend of ours, who is a couple of months free of cancer. She
still has chemo to take and hasn't been riding as much as she would like. The plan was to just do 10 miles, but we talked her into 45. At about 30, she was having a hard time with the hills and the time on the bike, so finishing became a group effort. I am very proud of her for hanging in there, and she was excited to have ridden further than she has since being diagnosed in August 2005.

The roads were definitely rough and the cattle guards were plenty, but it was a beautiful day in the Texas hill country in a lot of ways.
pod imho . proud to know you cheers

EDS
10-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Saturday went about 45 or so up on the hills west of town, supposed to go easy and was partly successful. It was encouraging because I was able to take it easy up a hill that at the first part of the year is quite a test. I didn't stick with the plan on the way home because I had a nice tail wind and when in front of a tail wind what is one to do?

What do wooly bear caterpillars become? The question occurred to me because it's that time of year and there are a million of them on the road.

It's been so warm here that the trees haven't changed in two weeks. What started to turn just stayed put and the ones that didn't start haven't.

Sunday I skipped. House work, yard work and then the winds kicked up and I decided to go with the burnout. So I made a pumpkin pie and an apple pie and a couple of loaves of bread. The bread tastes great but the dough was too wet for the baguette pans with holes in them and I had to rip it off leaving the bottom crust behind. It sagged into the holes and anchored itself. Bummer.

I saw a bunch of those caterpillars heading west from Guilderland on Western Ave/Rte. 20. The Tailwind coming home was great!

shinomaster
10-15-2007, 01:22 PM
http://www.photofaction.net/p/07_hornings_cat_c__masters_cat_c_35_plus/img_309920
http://www.photofaction.net/p/07_hornings_cat_c__masters_cat_c_35_plus/img_323038
http://photos.oregonvelo.com/p/cc070202/cc0702mjb026429
It was a brutal race, but super fun. Chrisroph get better soon!

chrisroph
10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
shino, looking good, bring those wheels over so I can glue em up, that was a tubular course with that sketchy bumpy meadow descent.

I rode a couple hours with the boys saturday, felt like dog meat. My right calf is not in good shape and my medical posse says take it easy, thanks josh.

So I rode 90 miles sunday on the vespa, out to the cross race and back on beautiful back roads.

shinomaster
10-15-2007, 02:06 PM
I was worried that my Neutrons would explode on that back bumpy meadow area, but they held true. The start of my race was the worst bottle-neck ever. Even though I was sick last week and didn't ride I felt good yesterday, riding up every "mp" hill. I had a 36/26 and could have used a 28 in the back! When is a good time to swing by?

chrisroph
10-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Just about any evening since I can't ride this week, just give a call.

The nucleons are super strong. I've beat the snot out of one pair of my nuc tubies wearing flexus on dry bumpy cross courses and they are still perfect.

Ozz
10-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I got buzzed by a couple goofs riding their aero-bars on the Burke-Gilman trail....the trail was narrow and bumpy, there were wet leaves on the ground, and they didn't say anything until they were right next to me.....very annoying. Icing on the cake was the mechanical problem by one of the riders about 200 yds later....then the phone call / iPod problem of the other a couple hundred yds after that. I kept waiting for another "buzz" but it never came.

Other than that....it was a lovely 30 mile ride thru light fog, somewhat hilly terrain on either end of a long flat. Saw eagles, squirrels, hawks, kingfishers and a couple salmon jumping in the river. :beer:

weisan
10-15-2007, 02:42 PM
aLexis-pal, thanks for being such sweet pal to your friend. I bet she felt better after meeting the stretch goal, & finishing the longer distance.

I did not do the LiveStrong ride this year. But I did check out the route a few weeks ago when I was riding with my buddy out in Wimberley. I am glad I took the carbon bike as it took the sting out the rough roads. There were quite a number of fast descent into blind corners, I recalled thinking at that time what if something terrible happen during the livestrong ride. I haven't heard anything come out of the weekend event, I certainly hope everything went well.

Fixed
10-15-2007, 02:48 PM
bro that makes me think ...how can cyclist help people one way wheelchair racers need us on training rides some of thoes cats are fast .. me I do a neighborhood crime watch thing ...

BumbleBeeDave
10-15-2007, 02:54 PM
56 miles Saturday over in Washington co. on the "Battenkill-Roubaix Cyclo-Sportif" . . . the "casual" version of the spring race, run over the same course. There were about 30 of us, as opposed to over a thousand racers in the spring. The course was beautiful, with fall foliage at peak. But it's challenging--about 1/4 dirt roads and I must have riddin up EVERY hill in the whole d@mn county! I also found out that the wind blows from EVERY direction at once over there!

Sunday . . . Started on another ride in Washington county. This one was supposed to be 55 miles with a couple of guys who it became obvious I couldn't keep up with. So I broke off and did my own ride and ended up with 50 miles. I just couldn't keep up with them cuz' I'm smoked . . . 240 miles in the past 8 days and I need some recovery time! . . .

BBD

Fixed
10-15-2007, 02:57 PM
good work bbd
cheers bro

BumbleBeeDave
10-15-2007, 03:04 PM
. . . how come I'm feelin' so lousy? :rolleyes:

Jellied Quadraceps, anyone? . . . :eek:

BBD

shinomaster
10-15-2007, 03:08 PM
56 miles Saturday over in Washington co. on the "Battenkill-Roubaix Cyclo-Sportif" . . . the "casual" version of the spring race, run over the same course. There were about 30 of us, as opposed to over a thousand racers in the spring. The course was beautiful, with fall foliage at peak. But it's challenging--about 1/4 dirt roads and I must have riddin up EVERY hill in the whole d@mn county! I also found out that the wind blows from EVERY direction at once over there!

Sunday . . . Started on another ride in Washington county. This one was supposed to be 55 miles with a couple of guys who it became obvious I couldn't keep up with. So I broke off and did my own ride and ended up with 50 miles. I just couldn't keep up with them cuz' I'm smoked . . . 240 miles in the past 8 days and I need some recovery time! . . .

BBD

Sounds like beautiful ride. You need to try a cross race!

barry1021
10-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Toomanybikes, 2 friends from MA, and I did the the Tour De Scottsdale yesterday. Actually we did the T de S PLUS as we rode the 9 miles down to and then back from the ride to my house near Carefree. Riding to and from saved the logistics hassle of driving, but it wasn't feeling very smart as we headed up Pima Rd after riding 79 miles. One stroke at a time.
The ride was fantastic, beautifully organized with traffic control at every single light during the 70 mile jaunt. TMB had the bikely.com climbing printout, and well, it was completely wrong. Much hillier than we expected, but not too bad at all. A great ride.

b21

ss-jimbo
10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
on my 38x16 Univega (lovingly referred to as the Schmega). It has moustache bars and only a front brake. We had a blast rolling the red clay roads of Florgia. The weather was beautiful, and I look forward to many more clay base miles (both senses of the word base).

rwsaunders
10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
First 40 degree morning ride since the Spring, but the skies were clear and sunny and the roads were traffic free. The trees haven't really turned colors yet, but there was plenty of road kill to confirm that Fall is here. What kind of wine goes well with Opossum?

C5 Snowboarder
10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Rode Saturday from Ames Lake out to Carnation thru the Snoqualmie Valley roads and then up Tolt Hill to Highway 202. 32 miler in very very nice sunny weather. Is that the last of our nice weather here in the GPNW? Hope not. GF says as we start - ( She is dressed in long pants and vest and a jacket and I am in a shorts and a short sleeved jersey - it is 64° outside ) "Aren't you going to be cold?" , I say " Naw , it is pretty nice out" - after 2 miles she is sheading the vest and jacket sleeves. :) :)

maunahaole
10-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Rolled out around 7am to meet up with the group. Headed east out Waialae Ave . Took the Kalanianaole Hwy past Hanauma Bay (saw a killer rainbow over the area that we had just covered), around the Ka Iwi coast past Sandy Beach and then to Makapuu. Part of the group continued to Waimanalo, some (including me) turned back and took the return through Hawaii Kai. No rain until I came up through campus and then a manageable light shower until I got home. A beautiful morning in the islands.

Tom Kellogg
10-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Did an early (8:30) ride with TT and one of his clients before they headed over for the VeloSwap at T-Town on Saturday. Rolling back roads over NorthWest of Kutztown (Cristal Cave for those in the know) with a few extra spontanius "let's take a right" moments. 55K. The boys held back for this old guy who has been off the bike for quite a few weeks. Thanks.

Beautiful weather, 50-60 degrees during the ride. Stopped at the Topton Coffee shop for brew and a snack at the end of the ride. Couldn't have been better. :D

bostondrunk
10-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Saturday:
easy 60km (its cold out there!)

Sunday:
Lazy Sunday with the 2AM, 4AM and 6AM alarm clock:

davids
10-16-2007, 08:59 AM
It's partially the missing morning light, and partially that I'm just feeling a bit cr@ppy (upper back/shoulder pain...), but I haven't ridden too much this last week.

34 miles on my own on a windy Saturday afternoon was the best I did. Aside from that, I've started doing short stints on the trainer every other morning. Ick.

And Sunday I spent some quality time with Ti Designs, getting my position consistent on all three road bikes. I probably spun for about 10 minutes, and mostly watched Ed fumble with wrenches, laser levels, and a pen...