PDA

View Full Version : scary broken stuff

dave1215
10-14-2007, 03:57 PM
whatever the story behind this, i'd rather not have been riding that bike:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8215638@N02/800234092/

what broken stuff would have scared you?

shinomaster
10-14-2007, 04:03 PM
http://perso.orange.fr/notre.enfant/Wall%20Enfant/cartoons_looney_tunes005.jpg

ergott
10-14-2007, 04:37 PM
They say don't radial lace there for a reason.

saab2000
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
By far, the scariest thing I have ever had happen happened in Switzerland in about 1994. I was descending a big hill near where I lived when the front of a Cinelli X/A stem snapped. The bars lurched forward and the only thing holding the bars at all was the bolt underneath. I was able to gingerly stop and scrape my feet on the ground to help, but there is no doubt that it could have been very bad. Speeds of 40-50 MPH were common on that section of descent.

I think the X/A stem looks decent but don't really like them. The picture one has been removed and replaced with a 1/A, which goes deeper into the fork and clamps the bars more evenly.

The one that broke was just like the pictured one.

biker222
10-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Last year a riding partner of mine was climbing a short steep hill, when I was beside him a heard a very loud pop like a spoke breaking. We started checking his bike and noticed a crack that spanned three holes on the rear drive side hub flange. He was on a campy hub. He was laced 2 cross.

Mike.

David Kirk
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Syncros stems......yummy.

Spitting out teeth like a mouthful of chickets.

Dave

Sandy
10-14-2007, 06:33 PM
The Tune hub looks like mine looked one time. Radial lacing is a no no on the hub. Mine had radial lacing on the non-drivetrain side. Same thing happened. It looked as if a rat chewed a piece out of it----maybe a pit bull...nope would have been a bigger piece. Anyway, I was told that you can use radial lacing in that application for a mountain Tune hub, but not for the road Tune hub. Don't know if that is correct.Mine now is 3 crossed laced in the entire hub. I had two wheelsets for my bike (rear rims have worn out on both) and have taken the Tune hub and had a rear wheel built with Mavic Open Pro rims.

I like the Tune hub better than the Dura-Ace 10 7800 rear hub for several reasons- The axle on the Dura-Ace hub broke twice and had to be replaced (split in two pieces where it is threaded). In addition, I found the Tune to engage quicker and give a more responsive feel in acceleration, if that is all possible.

The new Dura-Ace 10 7850 hub is suppose to be a large improvement over the 7800. I am going to have Jeremy build me at least one wheelset, probably two, as I may get a new CDA. I will use Tune hubs, front and rear in the first wheelset, and if I get a second built, it will probably be the Dura-ace 10- 7850, not the 7800.

I guess that ergott could correct any errors in what I have just stated, if there are some.

Shimano Sandy

pdonk
10-14-2007, 06:55 PM
I had a steerer tube crack and the stem come up in my hands as I was JRA. Never want that to happen again.

I look back and am so happy it happened that day and not a few days earlier at a race in the US. If it had broken on the big hill, I would have been seriously hurt.

The reason the steerer tube broke is that the painter chased the threads after painting it and cut them too deep.

The good news was that the builder sent me a new one for free and I am still using it 13 years later.

I haev also broken bolts on mircro head seatposts. This is why I prefer double bolt posts (20 year old syncros and thomsons).

I find it odd that the syncros road stem was such a POS while the mtb stems are arguably one of the best stems ever.

Hobbscooley
10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
On a recent group race ride i had a scary experience. As we entered the final sprint i shifted into gear and as i stood up to start my sprint the chain snapped completely off. the chain launched up and cut the rider behind me. i ended up riding on the top tube and face on the bar but kept it upright. 4 friends came back (after the sprint of course) and pushed me back the last 3 miles.

soulspinner
10-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Wipperman chain broke :bike: at speed. I read it happened a lot. Glad I didnt get thrown into traffic as there was a lot of cars around the intersection I was going through. Campy chain please...

DRZRM
10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Was that the stainless steel or the nickel? I have a SS 10-speed campy I've not put on yet. I've only heard good things. Is that the chain you've heard about?

Zach

Wipperman chain broke :bike: at speed. I read it happened a lot. Glad I didnt get thrown into traffic as there was a lot of cars around the intersection I was going through. Campy chain please...

soulspinner
10-15-2007, 10:45 AM
It was a nickel. Ive not read a bad word about ss chains by W.

jbl
10-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Urg. This happened to me a few weeks ago with the nickel plated 1008. In my case, though, I think the breakage resulted from a hamfisted repair of a stiff link --- or the stiff link could have been a sign of bad things to come? I had 2500+ mi on the chain by then.

I still got a replacement. If it happens again, I'll definitely be going Campy.

chrisroph
10-15-2007, 12:14 PM
i broke a bunch of rear axles on campy nuovo record freewheel hubs. one time i was descending logie trail towards hwy 30--a very steep technical road--and noticed some rear end wiggling, so i slowed down. when i got to the bottom, i pulled off the rear wheel to see what was up and the axle fell out of the hub into my hand. i had to call for a ride.

Dekonick
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Truckie was hungry. Rhea was there to snack as well. :)

PS - hope Gloria is feeling better...

The Tune hub looks like mine looked one time. Radial lacing is a no no on the hub. Mine had radial lacing on the non-drivetrain side. Same thing happened. It looked as if a rat chewed a piece out of it----maybe a pit bull...nope would have been a bigger piece. Anyway, I was told that you can use radial lacing in that application for a mountain Tune hub, but not for the road Tune hub. Don't know if that is correct.Mine now is 3 crossed laced in the entire hub. I had two wheelsets for my bike (rear rims have worn out on both) and have taken the Tune hub and had a rear wheel built with Mavic Open Pro rims.

I like the Tune hub better than the Dura-Ace 10 7800 rear hub for several reasons- The axle on the Dura-Ace hub broke twice and had to be replaced (split in two pieces where it is threaded). In addition, I found the Tune to engage quicker and give a more responsive feel in acceleration, if that is all possible.

The new Dura-Ace 10 7850 hub is suppose to be a large improvement over the 7800. I am going to have Jeremy build me at least one wheelset, probably two, as I may get a new CDA. I will use Tune hubs, front and rear in the first wheelset, and if I get a second built, it will probably be the Dura-ace 10- 7850, not the 7800.

I guess that ergott could correct any errors in what I have just stated, if there are some.

Shimano Sandy

zap
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Suntour chain breaking.

Ti frame breaking.

Steel canti braze-on cracking.

chrisroph
10-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Steel canti braze-on cracking.

Oh yah, I was once on a solo mountain bike backpack trip in the columbia river gorge and was fully loaded descending a steep single track trail and had a front canti braze on break. I had to pitch the bike sideways while locking up the back brake skidding to a stop.

I had a good talk with the brazer, me, when I got back home. My friend and I built the bike in my garage, it was my first and only frame. My brother still has it.

gdw
10-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I broke an XTR level chain 3 times on one climb, the apply named Murphy's Hogback on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park. Murphy's is a steep loose pitch with a vicious drop off on your left. Not a good place for a chain to snap.

The first time it snapped I fixed it with an extra pin. The second and third breaks were repaired with links from a chain whip tool we had in the support vehicle. Each break was in a new spot. The chainline on the bike was fine, the drivetrain new. I had never broken a chain prior to that ride.

BumbleBeeDave
10-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I was on a ride early last year when the magnesium clamp on my Blackstick carbon seatpost snapped. It turned out it was my own d@mn fault--I'd torqued it a bit too tight. Went over a bump, felt it snap, and suddenly the seat was loose. I was afraid to get off to see what was wrong, though I assumed it was the clamp. So I rode the last 9 miles and change home while clamping the seat and post between my legs--no standing, pedal smoothly and reeeaaalll ssslllooowww.

When I got home and got off the bike, the clamp fell off--in pieces--and the seat with it. My legs were sore from holding them clamped together, but I figured I got off easy compared to what would have hurt if I had to ride 9 miles sitting on the bare post! :eek: :rolleyes:

BBD

Fixed
10-16-2007, 02:46 PM
broken promise cheers bro imho