PDA

View Full Version : Travel bike w/S & S couplers

sam.g
07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Anyone wish to offer their thoughts on a travel bike with S & S couplers. I've been considering a travel bike for some time now and would appreciate recommendations on the best frame, Serotta or other, to be outfitted with these couplers. I've been leaning to steel without carbon stays for durability but am open to suggestions. Frame materials, paint options, components, cases, ect... I'm also interested in anyone's experience with retrofitting S & S couplers on existing frames, will Serotta even undertake this project on their frames?

Sam

07-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Serotta says they won't retrofit S&S couplers because it's too hard to get the alignment and fitting correct. Other builders will do so without a sweat, but I can see how it's easier to install the couplers on the loose tubes, then build the frame as if they weren't there.

I have the couplers on a Legend Ti that I regularly take to Europe. You wouldn't know the bike had them, they are so secure. You just have to be sure and check them for tightness a few times after reassembly, and periodically open them up and relubricate threads so nothing seizes. Most people use cable quick-connectors with them but I frankly find the quick-connectors bounce on the frame and collect dirt, so I just reconnect cables (and carry spares just in case anything's kinked) after traveling.

With the couplers, I can put my Legend Ti plus wheels into a large Samsonite wheel-around suitcase. I never pay airline surcharges and I've never had any damage. I use a Bike Pro Race Case for non-coupled road frames and Tricos for track frames, but with the couplers and the suitcase I can take a bike with me anywhere I want to be for a day or two -- the bike goes along on business trips, family visits, etc. I just use a few layers of inexpensive foam sleeping pad between the frame parts. Do be sure and wrap and protect the disconnected couplers VERY thoroughly -- a small ding on the threading can be bad news. And I don't use the coupler wrench that S&S sends. Instead, either use one of the Park pin tools or, for best results, the Var lockring wrench (which I carry for track anyway). I have it in a velcro-flapped pouch that I Fast-tacked to the inside of the suitcase (after ripping out the lining so I don't have to worry about cleaning up grease -- I bought the suitcase at a garage sale for $10).

I'd share the concern about avoiding the carbon seatstays. My carbon forks get nicked from spokes and other stuff hitting them while traveling, and it's harder to protect the rear-end while packing.

I've looked at Ritchey and other couplers, and don't feel they even come close. Bottom line: S&S is the way to go.

Dekonick
07-16-2004, 12:48 PM
how much to retro a frame with them?

I would love to make my old steel frame a travel bike...

Guess the internal routed cables would be an issue.

dmsi
07-17-2004, 07:52 PM
A local framebuilder (Jon Tallerico) here does retrofits for about $450 including the cost of the couplers, plus paint.

He built me a travel bike from steel with the couplers. He says he prefers to braze/weld/etc together the entire frame, then cut it and install the couplers since that way he is sure the basic frame is aligned correctly.

The bike fits in the S&S 26" case and travels as regular luggage.

weisan
07-17-2004, 08:35 PM
dmsi,

Can you give me Jon's contact info?

thanks,
weisan

93legendti
07-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Can you please post the contact info here?

dmsi
07-18-2004, 03:51 PM
You can reach Jon Tallerico several ways:

www.bicycleoutfitter.com website lists the shops contact info and has some info and photos devoted to Jon' work. His frame shop is part of a large bike shop The Bicycle Outfitter in Los Altos, CA.

his email is jtallerico@earthlink.net; his phone at shop is 650-948-8126.

Also, the S&S website has a long list of framebuilders who do retrofits and new builds using their couplers (www.sandsmachine.com) as well as an enormous amount of info about the couplers, bikes made with, packing bikes, etc..

93legendti
07-18-2004, 04:03 PM
thanks!

weisan
07-20-2004, 09:25 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has prior experience with any of these framebuilders who do retrofitting work for the S&S coupling? Thanks!

Bilenky Cycle Works
Tanaka Custom Frames
Steve Rex Cycles