PDA

View Full Version : Sachs wait list up to six years

fiamme red
10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2007/10/interview-with-richard-sachs.html

Dave B
10-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Man, that gives me time to save! How much is that deposit again?

chrisroph
10-12-2007, 12:49 PM
guess i better not stuff my cross bike

rinconryder
10-12-2007, 12:52 PM
guess i better not stuff my cross bike

Don't worry, you only have to wait 4 years for a Vanilla.

J.Greene
10-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm oh so close to making it 6 years and a frame.

JG

chrisroph
10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Don't worry, you only have to wait 4 years for a Vanilla.

i almost got a speedwagen for this year but was feeling poor when the application arrived.

victoryfactory
10-12-2007, 01:00 PM
"Sometimes a bike is just a bike"

- Dr. Fraude

goonster
10-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I just posted in the other thread about framebuilders not really raking it in . . .

. . . and here we have six-year-e-Richie posing in front of an F-car! :banana:

But seriously. We discuss wait lists all the time, but I'm happy for the builders who can enjoy a long pipeline of committed buyers. Nobody needs a Sachs or Vanilla. I've waited two years for a frame. It was worth it, and I'd be willing to wait however long it takes for the right frame.

fiamme red
10-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I've waited two years for a frame. It was worth it, and I'd be willing to wait however long it takes for the right frame.I'd like to hear you say that again when the Sachs wait list is 20 years. :)

goonster
10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
I'd like to hear you say that again when the Sachs wait list is 20 years. :)

No problem. I look forward to a hundred year-old Richie building me a lugged dialysis machine. :beer:

Kevan
10-12-2007, 01:45 PM
I had to increase my waiting period from 4 to 5 years for conducting audits and my clients couldn't be happier.

Ginger
10-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Nobody needs a Sachs or Vanilla.

No.
I think that statement is wrong.
People DO need a Sachs or a Vanilla or a Kirk or a Serotta.
Because while the bike is just a bike, those builders instill a sense of beauty and balance to a frame that doesn't exist in so many production frames.

I'll ride any bike, and I can make a production bike fit with compromises in handling or balance...but with a frame from a frame builder, I don't need to and I'm assured that the bike will look good doing it.

We all need art.

fiamme red
10-12-2007, 01:51 PM
No.
I think that statement is wrong.
Because while the bike is just a bike, those builders instill a sense of beauty and balance to a frame that doesn't exist in so many production frames.

I'll ride any bike, and I can make a production bike fit with compromises in handling or balance...but with a frame from a frame builder, I don't need to and I'm assured that the bike will look good doing it.

We all need art.If one really needs a custom, there are many builders (including Serotta) with a much shorter lead time than Sachs or Vanilla.

J.Greene
10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
If one really needs a custom, there are many builders (including Serotta) with a much shorter lead time than Sachs or Vanilla.

Pal,

The lady didn't say we all need a custom, she said we all need art.

JG

goonster
10-12-2007, 01:59 PM

Highlighted for emphasis. A Serotta's lead time is measured in weeks, not years. I agree with you that we "need" nice custom bikes, but nobody needs a bike from one particular builder.

goonster
10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
The lady didn't say we all need a custom

I can make a production bike fit with compromises in handling or balance...but with a frame from a frame builder, I don't need to and I'm assured that the bike will look good doing it.

I think she said she needs a custom.

weaponsgrade
10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Interesting comment on the Dedacciai Zero tubesets that led to PegoRichie tubes. Has anyone else with a Dedacciai Zero experienced this or heard of a similar JRA failure?

sevencyclist
10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
For many of us, the bike, the relationship, and the time it takes you to obtain the bike is the whole deal. (the anticipation of the wait, the decision on various aspects of the bike, and process of buidling it up etc.)

Afterall, we are trying to achieve an experience on the road over two wheels, and all the good and bad of the process adds to that experience. For me, my experience with all aspects of cycling, including my past bikes and rides, affects my perception of my ride today. I think we are out to achieve an experience that we enjoy, and each person decides for themselves what matters for them.

For example, Serotta has a great forum, and that adds to the exprience of riding a Serotta. Many has mentioned that Ben is a great guy, and they would get a bike from him again and again, not that bikes are necessarily worse from another company, but the fact that Serotta is a forward thinking company make them enjoy their Serotta that much more.

At the end of the day, it's not what you have in your hand in the form of a bike, but how you feel about the bike. It is about you, and some embraces the bike builder into that equation. You can even feel great about having a masterpiece without riding it, just as e-RICHIE does with his Nagasawa.

rinconryder
10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
If one really needs a custom,

I don't think this is about needing a custom in the sense of requiring special geometry or even to just be able to say you have a custom built bike. Sevens, Serotta's, Calfee, Guru, what have you, those are all excellent custom bikes but they lack soul.

Pegs, sachs, zanc, vanilla - there is something about these builders and their bikes that I can't explain. I haven't even ridden one (Peg coming soon), but you just LOOK at these bikes and they give off some type of vibe even in the most mundane and simple of paint jobs. I mean, just look at Erott's or jack's Zancs - white, simple, but they are something special.

Can't explain it, but in the end that is what attracts us, the intangibles that come with these bikes that aren't measures in terms of rigidness, geometry or material.

Grant McLean
10-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Ginger
10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Highlighted for emphasis. A Serotta's lead time is measured in weeks, not years. I agree with you that we "need" nice custom bikes, but nobody needs a bike from one particular builder.

Nope. Nobody really "needs" a custom. Somewhere, some mega bike maker is making a bike that can be made to "work" for every single problem fit. It might not be a "race bike" or a "touring bike" or a "atb" but it's a bike and it will work for them to ride, they just need to get over preconcieved notions and certain efficiencies of style or use, deal with the drawbacks that that bike might entail. A bike is a bike. No, that particular mega bike built bike might not be efficient at the task they want to use it for...but it'll work. For the most part. It'll work.

As far as art goes...if you hate modernist paintings, you're not going to hang one in your living room. So, yeah Someone who wants a particular "look" in a bike that comes from a particular builder does need a bike from the particular builder whose work they admire. If they need to wait six years to get one, they will.
Perhaps rather than decrying the wait, we should celebrate that we have that option. To wait, or not.

Besides, for every one person waiting in one line, means they're not waiting in the line you want to wait in. :) (well...unless they buy lots of different frames from different frame builders...but lets keep it simple)

And I included Serotta because this is their house, and evidently nobody remembers when their wait was MUCH longer than it is today. (I don't think it was ever years...but it was more than weeks...) They've overcome that limitation. YAY!

Jack Brunk
10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't think this is about needing a custom in the sense of requiring special geometry or even to just be able to say you have a custom built bike. Sevens, Serotta's, Calfee, Guru, what have you, those are all excellent custom bikes but they lack soul.

Pegs, sachs, zanc, vanilla - there is something about these builders and their bikes that I can't explain. I haven't even ridden one (Peg coming soon), but you just LOOK at these bikes and they give off some type of vibe even in the most mundane and simple of paint jobs. I mean, just look at Erott's or jack's Zancs - white, simple, but they are something special.

Can't explain it, but in the end that is what attracts us, the intangibles that come with these bikes that aren't measures in terms of rigidness, geometry or material.
Rinconryder gets it

swoop
10-12-2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1780113

shinomaster
10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
i almost got a speedwagen for this year but was feeling poor when the application arrived.

Me too!!

davids
10-12-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1780113
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gonC2NG5j1o

ergott
10-12-2007, 03:22 PM
It's not about the wait list. If you want recommendations for builders to satisfy you desires without that wait, you need look no further than Ritchies own site. He has a list of good people that build great bikes. If you've ever seen pics of the NAHMBS or been there, you know there is no shortage of quality stuff out there. Give one of the other guys that is lesser known a try. I don't think sir Sachs will mind as he's not exactly short on work.

Zank is a perfect example of a builder at the highest level and you don't have to wait that long. You will be pleased with any number of beautiful, hand-crafted bikes out there. If you haven't worked one on one with someone to make anything, I highly recommend it. I've watched Terry Pierce completely disassemble my bass trombone and create the best trombone I've ever played. I've talked to Ken Smith about the bass guitar I have. There's something about that personal level of it all.

cadence90
10-12-2007, 03:25 PM

This is not personal so please don't take it that way: but what you are talking about aren't intangibles, they're brand cachet. Period.

I do agree that nobody needs a bike from any particular builder, "vibe" or not. Desire, lust, brand-craving, ego-satisfaction maybe, but that's mainly what it is.

This theme gets rehashed over and over here (and elsewhere): the wait lists go up because of audience/demand obviously; because of how the builder chooses to live his/her life; because the brands are so successfully marketed; and because lots of people have a that need.

"Soul"? What exactly does it mean to state that a Vanilla has more soul than a Serotta, or a Zanconato more soul than a Calfee? :confused:

There are many top-quality, well-crafted bikes being built by many folks, but the bike "vibe" thing per se...I didn't think so, and the alternate builders list posted on Sachs' own site is ample proof, imho.

Len J
10-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Desire, lust, brand-craving, ego-satisfaction maybe, but that's mainly what it is.
This theme gets rehashed over and over here (and elsewhere): the wait lists go up because of audience/demand obviously; because of how the builder chooses to live his/her life; because the brands are so successfully marketed; and because lots of people have a that need.

That's the only reasons anyone would buy a Sachs.....Sure.

Who knew?

They're all shallow and weak of ego.

And it didn't cost $150.00/hr.

Len

swoop
10-12-2007, 03:47 PM
i just see too much thinking. its a bike frame. dude's an artisan with apoint of veiw. you ride it. the thinking has nothing to do with it.
if you want to dissect this soul thing.. we're all stardust. the mystics nail it.. all just little doorways into the center of the centerless cirle. some sheet is in a different league than others. some things are about mastery and some aren't.
that its a bike is secondary.

its really about you and whether or not your plugged into the world in a way that you notice the doorways. that cat gets it for the ones that are plugged into certain things.

some people just see bike as bike. its just about you. that's why you can't abstract and generalize. his 'is' just a different kind of 'is'.

but lordy haven't we pounded it into submission yet? hail to the great god called chioce. there are few ways of being in the word more sexy than the open ended pursuit of mastery.... especialy because the closer you get the less of you is there. the dude seems to get out of his own way... i try for that in my medium too.

Len J
10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
i just see too much thinking. its a bike frame. dude's an artisan with apoint of veiw. you ride it. the thinking has nothing to do with it.
if you want to dissect this soul thing.. we're all stardust. the mystics nail it.. all just little doorways into the center of the centerless cirle. some sheet is in a different league than others. some things are about mastery and some aren't.
that its a bike is secondary.

its really about you and whether or not your plugged into the world in a way that you notice the doorways. that cat gets it for the ones that are plugged into certain things.

some people just see bike as bike. its just about you. that's why you can't abstract and generalize. is just a different kind of is.

but lordy haven't we pounded it into submission yet? hail to the great god called chioce.

what it really means is that in the past year or so, somewhere around 200 people, with 200 different reasons, placed orders and took the wait from less tha 3 years to 6 years......out of how many cyclist's on the planet?

as you say, this has been pounded way more than into submission.

you don't like it, don't order.

Different strokes and all.

Gret to have great choices.

Len

Walter
10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Earlier this year I decided I wanted to have a custom steel bike built, because I had ridden one of my old steel Colnagos and fell again in love with the ride of a good resilient steel frame. I exchanged emails with the good Mr. Sachs (who was very helpful) and at age 60 had trouble with a 5-6 year wait. Not a reflection on his craftsmanship or speed of building, just on my advancing years!

I got steered to Roland Della Santa by several people. Great guy, easy to speak with, only a 2-3 month wait, and the end result was a beautiful bike (painted by Jim Allen) that I just love to ride...ain't that what it is about.

Interestingly I have a number of nice, some would say high end, bikes. The one that always draws the most comments from friends and total strangers on any ride is the Della Santa.

stevep
10-12-2007, 04:14 PM
6 years?
i thought he said 6 weeks.

you sure?
how long could it take to build a bicycle anyway?

keno
10-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Do you think he could start aging the wood now for my casket, or would the aging have to start six from now?

keno

musgravecycles
10-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Grant, atmo that remains the best looking frame (and bike) to ever have been posted on this forum...

Good on'ya mate!

dirtdigger88
10-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Do you think he could start aging the wood now for my casket, or would the aging have to start six from now?

keno

how about I just plant the pine tree- so we have the wood when we need it

Jason

Samster
10-12-2007, 04:49 PM
.show off. :D ;) :cool:

Grant McLean
10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Grant, atmo that remains the best looking frame (and bike) to ever have been posted on this forum...

Good on'ya mate!

Thanks my friend. Richard outdid himself for sure.

I figure if anyone needs inspiration to wait 6 years, they can clip the photo,
and set it as their wallpaper!

-g

Samster
10-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Nobody needs a Sachs or Vanilla. I repeat (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=403692&postcount=9).

14max
10-12-2007, 05:26 PM

roman meal
10-12-2007, 05:28 PM
there are few ways of being in the word more sexy than the open ended pursuit of mastery.... especialy because the closer you get the less of you is there. the dude seems to get out of his own way... i try for that in my medium too.

POTM.

The way I see it, we can do well to try to do that in our own work, too, whatever we do. What a wonderful thing, a community of folks who do that, and when we get out of the way of ourselves well, wonderful things happpen. The world is full of persons who will never step aside for others, let alone themselves.

Isn't it great when we can approach this topic, even though we're talking about a bicycle?

swoop
10-12-2007, 05:32 PM
now if i could master dyslexia and typing.. my world would vastly improve.
sekiy. i mean, yikes.

Louis
10-12-2007, 05:33 PM
ATMO this length of wait list thing means nothing.

For example: If some person were to place an order for a frameset from me and expected Serotta / Vanilla / Sachs / Kirk - type quality the wait would be even longer than six years. I'm guessing it would be more like 20 years. Does that mean that my frame would somehow be better than theirs? I don't think so.

Louis

roman meal
10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
now if i could master dyslexia and typing.. my world would vastly improve.
sekiy. i mean, yikes.

Dyslexics of the world untie!

That's my occupation, studying these things, you know..

J.Greene
10-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking I need to plan way ahead for my next Sachs. My 2006 model will be so last decade when my number is called if I send the deposit now.

JG

dutri42590
10-12-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm oh so close to making it 6 years and a frame.

JG
it will take you 6 years to complete your wifes frame at this rate
JPR

dutri42590
10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm thinking I need to plan way ahead for my next Sachs. My 2006 model will be so last decade when my number is called if I send the deposit now.

JG
i will be married with childern when i can finaly get one even if i send in for it now :crap:
JPR

Grant McLean
10-12-2007, 07:35 PM

JG

duuuuuuude! you're not already in line again?

here's a tip: when you write the check for the final payment, place another deposit.

:p

-g

MarleyMon
10-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Nice work if you can get! Sounds like a successful businessman, which doesn't preclude the great craftsman / artist aspects at all.

And Grant doesn't just get it - man, he's GOT it - love that frame!

mjb266
10-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Dude, are those ROR chainstays, I thought that ATMO onle worked in Oval chainstays these days...what is the BB shell?

chuckroast
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey, good scotch takes 12 years no?

abqhudson
10-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, I'm 69 years old - I guess that 75 years of age would be just about right to try out my new bike!

Ginger
10-12-2007, 07:55 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=30382&stc=1

Yep...stardust and sexy.

:cool:

cadence90
10-12-2007, 07:55 PM
That's the only reasons anyone would buy a Sachs.....Sure.

Who knew?

They're all shallow and weak of ego.

And it didn't cost $150.00/hr.

Len
Dude, what is your effin' problem? :confused:

Did I write that those were the only reasons?

To quote your typical rebuttal, "Read what I wrote".
I question that ANY person needs a frame from ONE particular builder, yes.
I think brand cachet IS a major force behind these wait lists, yes.
I think all the builders mentioned are all excellent, along with many others.
I do not understand why or how (or believe that) a Vanilla could have more "soul" than a Serotta, no.
I think that if the demand for a 6-year wait list is there, fine, for both the client and the builder.
As Sachs himself lists there are more than several other very qualified builders out there if the wait list is an issue.
And none of that is worth $0.02, let alone $150.00.
Don't overrate any thing; it's just bikes and it's just a bike forum.

Ginger
10-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Dude, what is your effin' problem? :confused:

Did I write that those were the only reasons?

To quote your typical rebuttal, "Read what I wrote".
I question that ANY person needs a frame from ONE particular builder, yes.
I think brand cachet IS a major force behind these wait lists, yes.
I think all the builders mentioned are all excellent, aong with many others.
I do not understand why or how (or believe that) a Vanilla could have more "soul" than a Serotta, no.
I think that if the demand for a 6-year wait list is there, fine, for both the client and the builder.
As Sachs himself lists there are more several other very qualified builders out there if the wait list is an issue.
And none of that is worth $0.02, let alone $150.00.
Don't overrate any thing; it's just bikes and it's just a bike forum.

Hey man, don't harsh my mellow. :D

it is after all, just a bike forum. GOI

Ken Robb
10-12-2007, 08:08 PM
I think even Mr Bernanke would understand this principal of economics: Excessively long wait lists for a product mean the price is too low. Of course if the producer is really a charity in disguise and its purpose is to subsidize some riders' craving for a wonderful bike frame so be it.
I'm just sorry that I'm too old to wait for one. :(

cadence90
10-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey man, don't harsh my mellow. :D

it is after all, just a bike forum. GOI
Sooooorrry! :)
I had no intention of harshing anyone's mellow, I was just trying to unharsh mine.
:beer:

BTW: has anyone seen the Nova piece on the making of a Samurai sword? Wow, impressive.

Grant McLean
10-12-2007, 08:15 PM
BTW: has anyone seen the Nova piece on the making of a Samurai sword? Wow, impressive.

Yup, just saw it in HD a few weeks ago. Very cool. That old guy stoking the
coals in the hot box, staying up for about 3 days? That's harsh!

-g

DarrenCT
10-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Grant,

btw, thanks for the info. I sent out an email.

-d

cadence90
10-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Yup, just saw it in HD a few weeks ago. Very cool. That old guy stoking the
coals in the hot box, staying up for about 3 days? That's harsh!

-g
The whole thing was so impressive: 6 months, 15 different artisans, the metallurgy, the clay process to produce the "signature". What beautiful things.

Not sure that I'd want my daughter shooting arrows at me so I could prove the hone of the blade though....

Ginger
10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Sooooorrry! :)
I had no intention of harshing anyone's mellow, I was just trying to unharsh mine.
:beer:

I understand.

That's the give and take of the internet.

DANG IT KEN. HUSH...hush. Although I'm sure you're not telling Mr. Sachs anything he doesn't already know.
I think his work is striking and beautiful. And they look like they should be freak'n fast bikes if you put the right motor on them.

Fixed
10-12-2007, 09:05 PM
bro and on the 7th he rested
cheers imho imho hicup :beer:

Grant McLean
10-12-2007, 09:08 PM
The whole thing was so impressive: 6 months, 15 different artisans, the metallurgy, the clay process to produce the "signature". What beautiful things.

Katana

even the name is so cool.

-g

J.Greene
10-12-2007, 09:18 PM
duuuuuuude! you're not already in line again?

here's a tip: when you write the check for the final payment, place another deposit.

:p

-g

No it got away from me. I miss the agony of what color to choose.

JG

Grant McLean
10-12-2007, 09:26 PM
No it got away from me. I miss the agony of what color to choose.

JG

just give me a heads up at the 36 month to go point, and i'll figure out the colour for you,
that should be just enough time to decide.

:)

-g

cadence90
10-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Katana

-g
No kidding.

If I had a Sachs I would name it Katana-sei.
Katana for, well, Katana and sei being Italian for six (-year waiting list being implied), besides being Japanese. :cool:

Except that by the time I received it I would have to have JB white it out and write Katana-nove or so on there.... :crap:

jerk
10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
i don't know what you guys are talking about. mine is going to be here next wednesday or something.

jerk

Archibald
10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Could be 10 years for all I care. It's all about the bike, but it's not about the bike.

Samster
10-12-2007, 10:12 PM

Not sure that I'd want my daughter shooting arrows at me so I could prove the hone of the blade though....few things match the feel of a maraging steel fencing blade. i think this is the same kind of steel used for reynolds 959 stainless tubing.

the making of steel from the pig iron blast furnace to alloying to hot rolling to processing, etc. is a remarkable thing. most impressive is the alloying oven into which molten pig iron is poured (@4000 degrees F) giving off so much heat that the air around the pour zone ignites into balls of fire.

i need to find that NOVA video. can you get it on netflix?

jerk
10-12-2007, 10:13 PM

Could be 10 years for all I care. It's all about the bike, but it's not about the bike.

the waiting list for stranahan's colorado whiskey is even longer. good things come to those who wait though.

jerk

(i'm not kidding by the way-sachs has got my frame...you should all be jealous.)

Archibald
10-12-2007, 10:17 PM
the waiting list for stranahan's colorado whiskey is even longer. good things come to those who wait though.

jerk

(i'm not kidding by the way-sachs has got my frame...you should all be jealous.)
It takes two years in a new oak barrel, what can I say? :rolleyes:

jerk
10-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Katana

-g

no it's stupid. ninjas are ghey. blackwater mercenaries are the new prepubescent awesomeness.

jerk

cadence90
10-12-2007, 10:26 PM
i need to find that NOVA video. can you get it on netflix?
I don't know. It was on PBS in Los Angeles last night (10/11).
Check their website; I'm sure one can buy the dvd, but I don't know about Netflix.

EDIT: Here's the PBS link (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/samurai/).

rwsaunders
10-12-2007, 10:36 PM
It was a four year wait to marry my wife, and she's going strong after 24 years; no dents, dings or rust. I could value the same traits in a quality frame.

dsb
10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm surprised that there isn't some kind of 'Black Market' for Sachs build slots... Or is there and I didn't get the memo? I wonder what my 6 year wait slot from today would be worth to someone in a couple years when the wait is over 10 years?

Did that even make sense?

Now where did I put my meds?

Sorry,
Dave

Samster
10-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm surprised that there isn't some kind of 'Black Market' for Sachs build slots... Or is there and I didn't get the memo? I wonder what my 6 year wait slot from today would be worth to someone in a couple years when the wait is over 10 years?

Did that even make sense?

Now where did I put my meds?

Sorry,
DaveThere's a telescope maker named Roland Christen who owns/runs Astro-Physics Telescopes. He makes some of the finest color corrected refracting telescopes on the market. I recall his wait list being 2-3 years long at some point. People would get their scope and then immediately put them up for sale at about 1.5x original price. The secondary market cleared at a remarkable rate.

Of course, these scopes weren't "custom fit" but the analogy to the "place in line" for an RS frame is close enough imo. Did you check on eBay?

swoop
10-13-2007, 09:04 AM
it's all so overwhelming.

Erik.Lazdins
10-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Not sure that I'd want my daughter shooting arrows at me so I could prove the hone of the blade though....

Thanks to the forum I hunted down and watched this show Friday - great show.
I've watched it twice more since!

rounder
10-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Yeah...it's about the whole experience. The deciding in the first place that you want and need one. Then deciding which one you want. Then, making up your mind and going out and ordering it. Then waiting endlessly for your time to come. Finally it arrives...exceeds all expectations. I have done it for other things (not for a six-year wait). I should probably get on a list.

haiku
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks to the forum I hunted down and watched this show Friday - great show.
I've watched it twice more since!
Might I ask you please
Where was the video found?
I'd love to see it.

Grant McLean
10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Might I ask you please
I'd love to see it.

I think he watched it on TV. Hopefully it should air again on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/samurai/

In january, the dvd is going on sale

http://shop.wgbh.org/product/show/29968

-g

Larry
10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
This is not personal so please don't take it that way: but what you are talking about aren't intangibles, they're brand cachet. Period.

I do agree that nobody needs a bike from any particular builder, "vibe" or not. Desire, lust, brand-craving, ego-satisfaction maybe, but that's mainly what it is.

"Soul"? What exactly does it mean to state that a Vanilla has more soul than a Serotta, or a Zanconato more soul than a Calfee? :confused:

There are many top-quality, well-crafted bikes being built by many folks, but the bike "vibe" thing per se...I didn't think so, and the alternate builders list posted on Sachs' own site is ample proof, imho.

It's all about the ride. Simple.

soulspinner
10-15-2007, 05:22 AM
it's all so overwhelming.

The sign says it all- this guy is stressed!

Erik.Lazdins
10-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Might I ask you please
I'd love to see it.

As Grant suspected correctly I saw it airing on PBS.

fiamme red
10-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Part two of the interview: http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2007/10/interview-with-richard-sachs-part-two.html

davids
10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
i don't know what you guys are talking about. mine is going to be here next wednesday or something.

jerk
Tomorrow's next Wendesday. Or something.

I'll confess to a healthy interest in seeing how this one turned out.

e-RICHIE
10-16-2007, 01:09 PM

eagle has landed atmo

davids
10-16-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPzMoWGhYs

Bob Ross
10-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I figure if anyone needs inspiration to wait 6 years, they can clip the photo, and set it as their wallpaper!

Already done.

Bob Ross
10-16-2007, 03:57 PM
It's all about the ride. Simple.

Even if one agrees "it's all about the ride" I'm not so sure that means it's "Simple." The thing that first attracted me to Sachs bikes was the way people described the ride: There is an eloquence, a poetry, a sincerely colorful way of conveying a transcendental experience while completely circumventing the whole "stiff yet vertically compliant" buzzword stew that most ride reviews are rife with that makes me honestly believe that riding a Sachs is a transformational act.

Hey, I loves me a swanky carbon frame. I've heard and/or read some very inspiring descriptions of the ride of swanky carbon frames. But the most inspiring have been those where the cyclist has been rendered speechless.

In contrast, e-Richie's frames seem to magically bestow the rider with a poet's tongue. Guys that ordinarily couldn't compose an anniversary card to their wife are suddenly waxing effusively in a language that has more in common with Shakespeare than with VeloNews.

It's about the ride all right, but jeez, that is some serious mojo...

Fixed
10-17-2007, 10:59 AM
bro get one and train for 6 years the reward a great bike you deseve it imho
cheers

Grant McLean
10-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey, I loves me a swanky carbon frame. I've heard and/or read some very inspiring descriptions of the ride of swanky carbon frames. But the most inspiring have been those where the cyclist has been rendered speechless.

In contrast, e-Richie's frames seem to magically bestow the rider with a poet's tongue. Guys that ordinarily couldn't compose an anniversary card to their wife are suddenly waxing effusively in a language that has more in common with Shakespeare than with VeloNews.

all you need to know:

http://play.rhapsody.com/billieholiday/billieholidaysgreatesthitsdecca/ilovesyouporgyfromporgybess

-g

J.Greene
10-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Feels like air atmo.....and who wouldn't wait 6 years for that.

JG

jerk
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM

dood-

i'm almost there. i've got to finish building the wheels and then you guys'll see it.

jerk

e-RICHIE
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
dood-

i'm almost there.
not there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRoMsfTZ7Uw) atmo.

davids
10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
not there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRoMsfTZ7Uw) atmo.
Small comfort (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zM6rRH8pDM).

William
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
The guy at the two year mark just let me cut in line!!!! I was just trimming my nails with my big knife and asked politely WooWhooo!!!!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41926000/jpg/_41926692_knife_whelan_body.jpg

William :D

Ginger
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
The guy at the two year mark just let me cut in line!!!! I was just trimming my nails with my big knife and asked politely WooWhooo!!!!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41926000/jpg/_41926692_knife_whelan_body.jpg

William :D
So William...

Is THAT what you look like without makeup.

roman meal
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
So William...

There is this Freudian fear, terror, embedded in that photo.. I can't look.. Swoop?

William
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
So William...

Hard to tell when I'm wearing my black skull cap and dark shades huh. I never took them off at the cross nats.

Before:
http://www.yddsp.com/other%20images/wrestling/WCW_Skull_Cap2.gif

After:

Before:
http://www.yddsp.com/other%20images/wrestling/WCW_Skull_Cap2.gif

After:

Not so easy is it.

William