PDA

View Full Version : Indoor 'cross ?????

Bruce K
10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
There is an article in today's velonews.com about a possible INDOOR cross race that is trying to be organized for January '08 in southern NH.

It is an interesting article and an interesting concept.

Would any of you guys or gals who race cross regularly give it a go if it happens?

Sounds like fun to me.

Besdies, if it works at a local level, just think what LAs Vegas could do with it! :rolleyes:

BK

Too Tall
10-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Do we get to throw stuff?

Fixed
10-12-2007, 08:25 AM
bro do they hold it in a bar ?
cheers

SWorks4me
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
...it was soccer...now cross?

we Americans can sure bastardize a sport...

92degrees
10-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I'd be psyched just to have the season go beyond mid-Dec. here this year.

dauwhe
10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Doesn't that go against the spirit of the sport?

I'd think you'd be able to have races outdoors regardless of weather. Might need studded tires, and deep snow would likely need to be shoveled or plowed so people can actually ride.

Dave

roman meal
10-12-2007, 08:52 AM
bro do they hold it in a bar ?
cheers

I'm in.

Bruce K
10-12-2007, 09:40 AM
The article talks about a figure 8 type course with a stiar run-up / fly-over, artifical whoop-de-doos (like moto-cross), and some other interesting stuff.

No bad weather and no mud. But if cross were to really catch the eye of some bigger promoter somewhere, how hard would it be to make a mud pit or a sand box?

I guess you could have the course go out of the basic arena into the stands ala the LA Colesium for motorsports back in the day.

I think the venue will be too small for infield activities but spectators could see it all from the stands.

It would certainly extend the season and possibly bring new audience to the sport.

BK

MassBiker
10-12-2007, 09:47 AM
http://velonews.com/race/cyc/articles/13509.0.html

Too Tall
10-12-2007, 09:49 AM
No interest unless they have live bears.

roman meal
10-12-2007, 09:52 AM
http://velonews.com/race/cyc/articles/13509.0.html

The web site for the dome says it was held back in September. Any one ride this?

http://www.milfordcross.com/info.php

Turf toe as a cyclocross related injury

EDIT: my fault- this describes an outside course.

:crap:

SWorks4me
10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Doesn't that go against the spirit of the sport?

I'd think you'd be able to have races outdoors regardless of weather. Might need studded tires, and deep snow would likely need to be shoveled or plowed so people can actually ride.

Dave

yeah! obviously they were not here for cross nationals in 2000:

stevep
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
ahhh,
climate control
68 degrees, 50% humidity.
small elevator to get over the barriers.
rest area each lap.
4 man teams to race..only do 1 out of 4 laps.

sounds like this will fix this sport.

Bruce K
10-12-2007, 10:40 AM
The Milford cross race in September was held outside on the Dome property.

Apparently that's where this idea was hatched.

The owner of the Dome and the Fitness Club seems to be really stoked about this.

BK

erikbrooks
10-12-2007, 10:44 AM
yeah! obviously they were not here for cross nationals in 2000:

Obviously, you're not from Washington state, where we have a different conception of deep snow:
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/73F53BFD-765B-4C78-B728-289D0B1DDDE3/0/IMG_1046_510op.jpg

Ginger
10-12-2007, 10:47 AM
There's an indoor mtb course in Cleveland...complete with a foam pit. Pretty popular in the winter with the wusses who don't ride in snow. (did I say that?)

I guess they could do a jello pit for an indoor cyclocross race. Wouldn't that be fun?

If it's not outdoors, it's not 'cross.
Just like the indoor mtb thing is not trail riding.

Kevan
10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
they beat us to it. We set up a cross course here in the office just last week. From the start, we ride down the main aisles for fast straight away, you best hammer this part of the course because there's a fast hooking left just past Nancy's cubicle and then there's those series of jump barriers using filled Iron Mountain archive boxes to get over. The hardest part of course is the staircase and negotiating the hairpin half way down to the first floor is super gnarly. In a tight bunch, the cries out in pain from crashing there can be pretty distracting to the other workers. We have a gym on the first floor and riders have to negotiate several exercise stations, duck under the low set pull-up bar before heading to the next staircase in order to return back to the second floor. As it stands now, only Brian can ride up the stairs without walking, he's pretty young and strong, but nobody likes him. It's not unusual for him to lose time because someone has scattered a whole bunch of post-it notes, tacky side up on the farside of the inside corner before the last run to the finish.

92degrees
10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
My LBS guy just reminded me that there's already an indoor race in late Summer at the NJ fairgrounds?

djg
10-12-2007, 07:26 PM
...it was soccer...now cross?

we Americans can sure bastardize a sport...

Soccer on grass under a dome could be fine. Soccer in a hockey rink covered with astroturf is all fun and games until somebody tears some ligaments, but it's an ugly choppy game and more science-project-gone-horribly-wrong than a good honest bastard.

Cross. I don't effin know, but I always thought it was supposed to be outside in weather. If they have it, and somebody wants to drive me to NH, and convince the wife that I need 4 or 5 days off to check it out, and that I get to ski for a day at least either way ... well, then, I'll try it.