PDA

View Full Version : Blasting back from the past - Witcomb

nick0137
10-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Just got back from the London Cycle show. Not a lot that excited or interested - Responsorium (with a special Mosquito Bikes paint scheme), Colnago MTB (hidden away as if they didn't really know what to do with it), Condor (celebrating their 60th anniversary with a display of some cool old bikes).

But this stand was really intriguing - http://www.witcombcycles.co.uk/blog/index.html

Seems like a serious effort to reinvigorate the shop and the brand. Nice to see 'cos I've lived in London for 17 years and never seen a Witcomb on the road or track. Expensive though, huh?

Fixed
10-12-2007, 07:46 AM
bro thanks I have another lust site i like this
http://www.witcombcycles.co.uk/bicycles/index.htm
cheers

e-RICHIE
10-12-2007, 07:51 AM
this is us (http://www.witcombcycles.co.uk/about.htm) at the tour de l'est in quebec about 1974.
that's bill farrell (fit kit inventor) on the left.

Fixed
10-12-2007, 07:53 AM
bro the big cat?
which one is you ?
cheers

e-RICHIE
10-12-2007, 07:54 AM
i'm the girl in the middle w the jumpsuit atmo.

Fixed
10-12-2007, 07:58 AM
bro you always been hip
cheers

Erik.Lazdins
10-12-2007, 08:13 AM
The website misspelled Peter's name - When stuff is up in lights it should be spelled right!

OldDog
10-12-2007, 08:23 AM
"1972 American frame builders, Richard Sachs, Ben Serotta and Peter Wiegle start training with Barrie. Witcomb opens a clothing boutique and a junior bicycles department."

Cheers to the OldDogs.....

SimonC
10-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Hmm, trying to bite my tounge just a little bit based on some of the posts here recently, but:

The ultimate custom bicycle. Our designers will work with you to create a unique bicycle with a one off designer livery. This exclusive service is only available from Witcomb Cycles.

Funny, I thought that was what most custom builders did. How does a Bob Jackson or a Chas Roberts or a Dave Yates differ from that process?

Prices start from £2,500 incl. standard frame

Which, boys and girls, is a heck of a lot of money. In dollar terms, that's more than an eRichie, a Sacha White or a J P Weigle. It's also about twice what they were charging before the introduction of the fancy city-slicker website. It's also about three times what one would pay for a really nice handmade frame from most of the UK builders listed above, and about twice what I'm paying for my no-holds-barred Robin Mather (and that includes a custom stem and rear rack).

Maybe the reality is that they're moving from being a 'cyclists' firm to being one that's attempting to capitalise on the money flowing into the sport from the Madone crowd. However, it leaves a slight bitter taste in my mouth in the same way that Rapha does - nicely made kit (I'm not denying that) surrounded by a lot of fancy marketing and with substantial mark-ups.

There we go - I suspect I'll not be getting a Christmas card from them!

e-RICHIE
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
mebbe they have a royal warrant or are going for the asprey consumer atmo.

goonster
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Which, boys and girls, is a heck of a lot of money. In dollar terms, that's more than an eRichie, a Sacha White or a J P Weigle.

1. The dollar comparison is a bit unfair. If we go that route, a pint of UK Ale costs double its US counterpart.

2. A lot of builders are raising prices.

3. Despite the high prices, I haven't heard of any builders who are really raking it in, by any stretch of the imagination. Bilenky implemented a substantial price hike recently, and apparently Simon is still the only guy down there who can afford to shave! :D

nick0137
10-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Maybe the reality is that they're moving from being a 'cyclists' firm to being one that's attempting to capitalise on the money flowing into the sport from the Madone crowd. However, it leaves a slight bitter taste in my mouth in the same way that Rapha does

I sorta agree. But you can't argue that Witcomb have done their time at the coalface of cycling. Unlike those Rapha boys......

Bittersweet
10-12-2007, 11:08 AM
this is us (http://www.witcombcycles.co.uk/about.htm) at the tour de l'est in quebec about 1974.
that's bill farrell (fit kit inventor) on the left.

Farrell - all-around good guy and great skier both alpine and nordic. He's on the Rossignol masters nordic team now. I see him at the occasional xc ski race. He's still very fit and quite fast.

RIHans
10-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I spy Nick D. on the far right there...How is Nick? If you see him, send regards from Billy, Mike, and Myself.

Thanks in advance,
Hans