PDA

View Full Version : Bike protest by Heras and Saiz

tom2517
07-15-2004, 11:01 PM
http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=267

“I find it ridiculous that, as a result of this rule, a cyclo-tourist can ride a better bike than a professional,” the ever-incendiary Saiz scoffed this morning.

If I remember correctly, the rule was imposed because UCI was afraid bikes getting too light may be weakened and cause danger to the riders. But seriously, I tend to agree that engineers will find solutions and UCI ought to lift the rule.

shaq-d
07-16-2004, 01:00 AM
i think the UCI rule is pretty good. as a fan of Laser sailing, where every laser sailboat made by every manufacturer in the world has the same dimensions, etc., i like competition that has more to do with the skills of the man/woman rather than the quality of the equipment. it's not about getting the highest avg speed.. it's about competing against the best.

sd

Russ
07-16-2004, 01:33 AM
On one hand they want to rule the world of cycling with the pretext that it is for the good of the sport and the riders, on another hand, they keep a blind eye...

If I am not mistaken, I think that aero bars were not an approved piece of equipment when LeMond won the 1989 Tour. But the UCI did not pay attention to Fignon's protests, before and after that now famous Tour stage.

IMO, let the riders ride whaever they want as long as it has wheels and gears comparable to the others in the race! If one guy's bike is 8 lbs and he/she falls flat on his arse because the bike disintegrates in the heat, that is his/her problem... let them lose the race!

William
07-16-2004, 07:04 AM
IMO, let the riders ride whaever they want as long as it has wheels and gears comparable to the others in the race!

On the one hand, that's good for driving innovation to gain an edge which then trickles down to the rest of us.

On the other hand, allowing bikes that light really gives an advantage to the little climber guys. Someone my size would most likely be unable to ride an ultra-light frame made of painted pipe cleaners without having to replace it every klick of the race.

"But William", you say, "You would probably get dropped in the mountains anyway, why would you care?"

Hey, it's a pride thing! I'd rather come in an hour behind instead of an hour and 10 min behind. IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!

William

Andreu
07-16-2004, 07:07 AM
As a big fan of Graeme Obree I am not going to comment on UCI rules.
A

Russ
07-16-2004, 11:54 AM
...On the other hand, allowing bikes that light really gives an advantage to the little climber guys....
"But William", you say, "You would probably get dropped in the mountains anyway, why would you care?"
Hey, it's a pride thing! I'd rather come in an hour behind instead of an hour and 10 min behind.... IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!

William,

I thought you could time trial pretty well and get those minutes back from the climbers ;)

I don't think the issue is only weight, it's the whole "modernizing" of the sport as Saiz said....

gt6267a
07-16-2004, 12:08 PM
if the concern is for safety, why not create a series of tests that must be passed INSTEAD of generic weight?

for example, if a handlebar attached to a rigid stem is able to handle x amount of weight and y amount of torque and z amount of vibration than it's legal. if not, whether it weighs 10, 100, or 1000 grams, it's not legal.

William
07-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't think the issue is only weight, it's the whole "modernizing" of the sport as Saiz said....

I agree with you on that. Similar to NASCAR (not that I'm a fan or anything :rolleyes: ). All the restrictions do is two things: Squash innovation, and favor GM cars.

William,

I thought you could time trial pretty well and get those minutes back from the climbers

I was comparing to Saiz, but OOHHH YES, I WOULD BEAT IT BACK OUT OF HIM IN THE TT's. :D Try to make me suffer in the hills huh? TAKE THAT!!

Delirious William

shinomaster
07-16-2004, 02:40 PM
what brand of bike does heras ride?

JackL
07-16-2004, 05:39 PM
I really like the idea of one bike for the entire race. One rider, why not one bike? This would force the use of versatile and durable bikes, more like something we would like to own. I suppose there are details to work out as to permissible repairs and parts replacement during the race.

In auto races, if your car breaks, you're not allowed to just grab a new car and continue the race.