PDA

View Full Version : Another rider down

H.Frank Beshear
07-15-2004, 09:27 PM
A member of our cycling club was struck and killed yesterday. I didn't know him well but my friend and former shop owner sold him his first good bike almost 30 years ago. He rode the PBP in 92, and competed at the master level.
www.qconline.com/archives/qco/sections.cgi?prcss=display&id=202757 I'll let you know what happens with driver. Take care Frank

geezohwiz
07-15-2004, 09:35 PM
A tragic incident...my condolences. Let's all be careful out there.

Dekonick
07-15-2004, 09:54 PM
I am sorry to hear about another cyclist has died in this manner. If this semi had crushed a car in his rear wheels while passing (or a motorcycle for that matter) it would be vehicular homicide. Why is it different for a cyclist?

Truly sad.

gasman
07-15-2004, 09:59 PM
What is most sad is that probably nothing will happen to the driver of the truck. I assume the trucker must feel terrible. Mostly though I am very sorry for his family.
Be careful out there.

Johny
07-15-2004, 10:51 PM
My prayers go out to his family.

I have to admit that having heard many sad stories like this and having been a married man and a father of an 8 month boy, I have a strange feeling (worried and scared). For most experienced cyclists, we think we know how to take care of ourselves when going out riding. However, we do not control everything out on the road. A tragedy like this continues to happen. Sad.

Russ
07-16-2004, 02:10 AM
....If this semi had crushed a car in his rear wheels.... it would be vehicular homicide. Why is it different for a cyclist?
I just read on the home page of the League of American Bicyclist (http://www.bikeleague.org/about/index.html) this stuff:

A PROUD AND RICH HISTORY

The League was founded as the League of American Wheelmen in 1880. Bicyclists, known then as "wheelmen", were challenged by rutted roads of gravel and dirt and faced antagonism from horsemen, wagon drivers, and pedestrians.

In an effort to improve riding conditions so they might better enjoy their newly discovered sport, over 100,000 cyclists from across the United States joined the League to advocate for paved roads. The success of the League in its first advocacy efforts ultimately led to our national highway system.

Why be so proud of such a thing! When was the last time you and I could ride on a highway? I find it ironical that the efforts of The League, lead to build something that is only useful (in this country, I guess) to the single most dangerous item to cyclists: cars!

Things have not changed much since the 1880's have they?

Kevin
07-16-2004, 05:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Kevin

William
07-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Very tragic. I'm sorry to hear that another rider has been lost. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

William