PDA

View Full Version : Winter is right around the corner...

bhungerford
10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Now that it's finally getting cooler/cold and winter is right around the corner, just wondering what everyone's favorite wet/slushy/snow tire is? Think in terms of what you find the best for commuting on all winter, 700c, and has to fit under some fenders....

J.Greene
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Dude, we still have 2 months of hurricane season.

JG

Now that it's finally getting cooler/cold and winter is right around the corner, just wondering what everyone's favorite wet/slushy/snow tire is? Think in terms of what you find the best for commuting on all winter, 700c, and has to fit under some fenders....

spiderman
10-11-2007, 12:25 PM
but running orange conti comp 25s
until it gets slushy
then i'll put on the dugast 28s.
for ice, i have some studded snow tires
mounted on my open pros.

CNY rider
10-11-2007, 12:28 PM

Ideally you have 2 sets of wheels.

Mount regular 700X32 cross tires on one set for the clear weather days.

Second set gets the studded Nokians for the sloppy days.

The Nokians are a blast to ride in the slop but not so much fun on a dry sunny day, so it's good to be able to rapidly swap them out.

Too Tall
10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
(scratcing my head) Sspielman dewd...you said Tubbies...you ok? Concerned.

Very sim. setup here to Mr. Sspielman. No dramatic changes for winter road riding...just clock it back and ride with lower air pressure as needed. When / if it gets icy or snow that does not clear I switch directly to studded tyres. In my HO no kind of lugged tyres is going to have better grip in snow than road tyres...everything slips. Problems begin when you can not reach the pavement than I pull out the big Finnish guns.

Blue Jays
10-11-2007, 01:11 PM
What kind of snow depth are we talking here? I found the Kenda Nevegals on my full-suspension mountainbike work fine if the snow can "compress" sufficiently during off-road riding and is only a couple inches deep.
If used on asphalt, my inclination would be to give studded tires a whirl...especially since I haven't tried them yet. Everyone always seems to give rave reviews about studded tires and says they need to be experienced to be understood....

rwsaunders
10-11-2007, 04:17 PM
William was recently spotted blowing leaves in RI, trying to remain stealthy around the killer squirrels.

saab2000
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM

I like 50 lb steel wheels. On bikes with just front wheels.

Scenery is good too!

Oh, and listening to the KLF while watching that scenery is pricless.

Spin baby spin, baby baby spin spin

dave thompson
10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
My annual 'thoughts about winter' pic....