PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

blueeyes1032
10-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi friends, my friend tony told me that by reducing carbohydrates in my diet, I can reduce or eliminate blood sugar and insulin swings that stimulate appetite and promote fat storage. And it will switch my metabolism from carb/sugar burning to fat and ketone burning. Is it true?

csm
10-10-2007, 10:29 PM
no. there is no truth to this. it's poppycock.

mike p
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
You doubt Tony?

Mike

csm
10-10-2007, 10:32 PM
if it's the tony that is on tv trying to get me to buy frosted flakes all the time. plus, I think he sells gas too.

Steve Hampsten
10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Not according to Gina Kolata in today's NY Times.

Sorry, Tony.

deechee
10-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Im not a dietician but choosing the type of carbohydrates you consume (low glycemic index -think whole wheat bread etc.) will change your blood sugar levels. And that can affect sugar low/highs during the day. I don't think any of the other stuff holds up tho.

Lifelover
10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi friends, my friend tony told me that by reducing carbohydrates in my diet, I can reduce or eliminate blood sugar and insulin swings that stimulate appetite and promote fat storage. And it will switch my metabolism from carb/sugar burning to fat and ketone burning. Is it true?
Yes!

Read "Protein Power"

However, the science behind it is sim ilar to the science behind Global Warming. So it's best to practice it without discussing it with others.

Blue Jays
10-31-2007, 03:39 AM
Found this thread while searching on "carbohydrate" and wanted to offer anecdotal evidence. While on an extended business trip to Austria & Germany my diet consisted of a MUCH higher percentage of meats, cheeses, and fish compared to what I would eat here at home.

Even though I wasn't getting nearly the amount of saddletime I prefer, I actually lost weight during that trip. My feeling is that it was due to the regional higher-protein, higher-fat, and lower-carbohydrate intake that I experienced. It's not something that most of us would enjoy for a lifetime of eating (limited breads, pasta, cereals, etc.) but I can see the potential that if one wants to quickly shed some pounds...

:)

vaxn8r
10-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Found this thread while searching on "carbohydrate" and wanted to offer anecdotal evidence. While on an extended business trip to Austria & Germany my diet consisted of a MUCH higher percentage of meats, cheeses, and fish compared to what I would eat here at home.

Even though I wasn't getting nearly the amount of saddletime I prefer, I actually lost weight during that trip. My feeling is that it was due to the regional higher-protein, higher-fat, and lower-carbohydrate intake that I experienced. It's not something that most of us would enjoy for a lifetime of eating (limited breads, pasta, cereals, etc.) but I can see the potential that if one wants to quickly shed some pounds...

:)
I always lose weight when I don't ride. My appetite shrinks and I lose muscle mass.

regularguy412
10-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Riding more miles to lose weight didn't work for me. Not until I changed my diet to more protein/lower carb did my body start looking like it should. Certainly, carbs are easier/better to burn as fuel while _ON_ the bike, but I found reducing carbs at night was the ticket. After you get your body 'trained' to burn protein, it will basically burn 'anything'. You still have to properly manage your total caloric intake, though.

Everyone's metabolism is different. Try hi-pro/ low-carb for six weeks and see how it goes.

Mike in AR

Ginger
10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Y'all did notice the online pharmacy link in the OP?

Could be a good discussion, but I don't think the OP is reading...

PaulE
10-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Y'all did notice the online pharmacy link in the OP?

Could be a good discussion, but I don't think the OP is reading...

What caught my eye was 10 replies to a first time poster and topic.