PDA

View Full Version : Headset bearings too loose?

amator
10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Fairly new bike witha integrated FSA threadless headset using a 1 1/8 and a fSA expander on the ec90 sl fork.
There seems to be almost no resistance and as u push the bike along from the saddle and not hold the bars, the front end will not go straight. Rather twitchy too on riding.

Ive tightened the carbon compatible exapander to the max. the steere just seems toooo smooth. How can I tell whether the bearings are too loose or just the nature of the bike?

thwart
10-09-2007, 09:59 PM
For me, rocking the front wheel forward and backward (using your hands on the handlebars---in other words pushing the bike forward and backward) with the front brake tightly engaged is the best check for a "too loose" headset. There should be no play at all.

Another test: drop the front end of the bike from 4-6 inches above the ground. Everything should be tight... no rattle, just a little bounce from the front tire.

Smooth is not necessarily a bad thing :D

David Kirk
10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
If there's no play in the headset it's not too loose.

Dave

amator
10-10-2007, 02:37 AM
For me, rocking the front wheel forward and backward (using your hands on the handlebars---in other words pushing the bike forward and backward) with the front brake tightly engaged is the best check for a "too loose" headset. There should be no play at all.

Another test: drop the front end of the bike from 4-6 inches above the ground. Everything should be tight... no rattle, just a little bounce from the front tire.

did the bouncy bouncy and No rattle :)
tried rocking the bike but becos of the marble floor, it decided to slip and slide.. will try again later.

LBS opened up earlier and retorqued told me its fine and what i classified as twitchy handling, otheres would say its responsive handling!

One explanation I could think off is that Its top heavy(stem, bars , brakes etc) with a light fork (Easton ec 90sl carbon)

amator
10-10-2007, 02:44 AM
If there's no play in the headset it's not too loose.

Dave

Are the bearings or good headsets supposed to offer some form of resistance or holding effect on the steerer?

Either I have been using bikes before with lousy over tight bearings or Im just noticing that I cant seem to push the bike in a straight line.
I know it doesnt translate into "loose bearings" but Its something ive just getting anal about.

Too Tall
10-10-2007, 06:22 AM
What you are describing is a quality of the bike frame / fork design not headset adjustment. Check the link:

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/journaux_unk.html

David Kirk
10-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Are the bearings or good headsets supposed to offer some form of resistance or holding effect on the steerer?

Either I have been using bikes before with lousy over tight bearings or Im just noticing that I cant seem to push the bike in a straight line.
I know it doesnt translate into "loose bearings" but Its something ive just getting anal about.

IMO the headset should never act as a steering damper.

Dave

victoryfactory
10-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Just don't try this with Shimano brifters, they rattle like sum-bichez
(at least mine do)

VF

thwart
10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
True---they're getting better though. If they keep it up, eventually they'll reach the level that Campy's been at for years. :D

Dave
10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Rocking or bouncing a bike with an integrated headset will tell you nothing.

Tightening the expanding plug in the steerer does not change the headset bearing adjustment. Only the top cap bolt changes that, and the steering clamp bolts on the stem must be loosened first.

The angular contact cartridge bearings need a significant preload to work properly. You may need as much as 5Nm of torque on the top cap (the same tightness recommended for many stem clamp bolts). Tighten the top can until you feel some additional drag as the fork is turned, then back the bolt up 1/8-1/4 turn, just enough to eliminate the drag. After the bearings are adjusted, retighten the stem clamp bolts, that's what holds the headset in adjustment.

On a test ride, bearings that are too tight will prevent the front wheel from quickly returning to a straight-ahead position after a turn. It will be obvious. About the only obvious sign of bearings that are slightly too loose is a snap or pop sound from the headset area, when the front wheel hits a significant mismatch in the road.

thwart
10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Rocking or bouncing a bike with an integrated headset will tell you nothing. Well, on my only bike with an integrated headset this did indeed assist in set-up. I had somehow forgotten :crap: to insert the compression ring correctly in the upper cup and the clicking with rocking tipped me off.

YMMV, I guess.

Dave
10-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, on my only bike with an integrated headset this did indeed assist in set-up. I had somehow forgotten :crap: to insert the compression ring correctly in the upper cup and the clicking with rocking tipped me off.

YMMV, I guess.

If the bearings are extremely loose, rocking the bike may indeed warn of a gross error, but it doesn't tell you when the bearings are properly tightened. Assuming you're smart enough to assemble the parts correctly, my instructions are correct. Spare parts on the work bench are a better indicator of the problem you had.