PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof winter gloves

sjbraun
10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Just back from Moab after riding the Moab Century Tour. Road riding in Moab is spectacular. But a desert boy needs some help with gloves.
Saturday we set out on the 70 mile (sort-of) metric century route. Light rain and 35 degrees at the start. I wisely brought a rain jacket and thought I had the weather covered. But as the ride headed up, the temps declined and just to make things fun, the rain grew harder. The 16 mile climb was shortened to 10 as black ice and snow had started to appear at the summit.
I was chilled as I started my descent, but in no time at all, had lost feeling in my fingers. Its really fun to try to brake, shift or control a bike on 10% grades in blinding rain when you can't feel your hands. Fortunately one of our group had the brainstorm that knee warmers could provide hands some protection. So we stripped of the knee warmers and wrapped them around our frozen fingers. Everything got much better from then on.

So, what do you recommend for waterproof gloves? I start many rides and my daily commute in sub 30 degree weather during the winter; hey, that's cold for Tucson. For my needs, polypro glove liners and Assos gloves do the trick. But since I plan to return to Moab to ride again, I'm thinking a waterproof/rain ride option would be good to have.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Steve- who now has full sensation in at least eight fingers

gdw
10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
They aren't fashionable but the neoprene gloves they sell at sporting good and hardware stores are great emergency gloves. http://www.gemplers.com/workwear/gloves/neoprene/K16.html
I trim the excess material from the wrist and keep them in the Camelbak in the spring and fall. For winter use I like Lakes CX Zero gloves. http://www.lakecycling.com/custom.aspx?id=4

Moab has pretty extreme weather. I did that same route a few years ago and we had rain and snow to deal with.

jimcav
10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
specialized also had a similar waterproof set. both worked great on wet DC winter rains.
jim

DarrenCT
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
those cycling gloves are sometimes too wimpy.

i use a ski glove from patagonia or cloudveil.

i look like a tool but im super warm.

-d

deechee
10-10-2007, 10:16 AM
the only waterproof gloves I have are seal skinz from dupont. I think they're for fishing but they're super grippy but completely unbreathable. I don't have sweaty palms but they're definitely not the most comfortable glove.

For winter riding though I'm usually in my windstopper gloves or when its really cold, lobsters. They're not waterproof but they stay warm even when damp... anything thicker and I can't brake/shift.

jimcav
10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
gloves--you can get them on ebay for $55, i've used them so far in the 40s when it rains and been fine.
jim