PDA

View Full Version : How much difference can a bike make ?

grinder
07-15-2004, 10:43 AM
I was wondering if someone might comment on how much of a factor the construction and components of a bike play on the overall performance of an individual. For instance, I have a relatively stock Atlanta bike equipped with above average but not superlight wheel set, hubs, etc. On a longer ride - 20+ miles, I can average somewhere around the 20 to 21 MPH range (I know - I got a way to go before I'm ready for the tour :) ). My question is - if I were to do the exact same ride with say, an Ottrott, what would be the difference in average speed? Would it be measured in miles per hour or fractions of a mile per hour? I came from the mountain biking world where the biggest factor was a combination of conditioning and how big your you know what are. I know conditioning is still the most important part of road cycling but it seems the bike may play a slightly larger role than it does in mountain biking. I bought my Atlanta to use for training for mountain biking. That was 6 years ago. Anybody want to buy a mountain bike ? :)

bostondrunk
07-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Lets just say you would be very silly to drop that kind of dough if the only reason is that you think it will gain you 1 mph (which it probably won't).

Andreu
07-15-2004, 10:48 AM
I would be surprised, if over the course of a year, you would be going miles an hour faster just by changing your frame....fractions maybe. But stranger things have happened at sea. Frame...coupled with attitude, wheels, fitness and weight (in no particular order) you can get miles an hour quicker in my opinion.
A

grinder
07-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Lets just say you would be very silly to drop that kind of dough if the only reason is that you think it will gain you 1 mph (which it probably won't).

Wasn't asking the question because I was contemplating a purchase to increase speed. Just curious what factor a bike plays in overall performance. From your post I gather none. Why would someone spend that kind of cash on a bike like that if it wasn't for performance? Looks alone?

tom2517
07-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Wasn't asking the question because I was contemplating a purchase to increase speed. Just curious what factor a bike plays in overall performance. From your post I gather none. Why would someone spend that kind of cash on a bike like that if it wasn't for performance? Looks alone?

Well, equipment makes some difference. In one of OLN's series on Lance, a Trek engineer said saving 1/4 of a pound can shave 10 sec in one hour. But the biggest difference is probably in the head, knowing you have the fastest bike may make you ride the fastest, at least that is what Lance's F-1 project team is hoping.

professor_b
07-15-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm going to approach this from a different angle: I think construction and components make a huge difference, mostly in terms of comfort. If you're on a bike that isn't comfortable to ride, doesn't shift cleanly and quickly, etc. I can't see how you can be in a position to perform at your very best. Comfort and a custom fit is why I ride a Serotta! ;)

Andreu
07-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Duh... well there I was riding my Raleigh Chopper up Marie Blanc....f??? me.....now I know where I was going wrong!
A

bostondrunk
07-15-2004, 12:41 PM
So you think all the old guys on this board bought Ottrotts because they needed more speed???
Its no diferent than someone buying, I dunno, a honda accord instead of a Honda Civic. They didn't need it, they just wanted something nicer. Just buy what you are gonna be the happiest with, and what will make you want to ride the most.
There, now you only owe me $350 for my consulting fee...

Dekonick
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Hmm - I think your Atlanta is making y ou slow. You should give it to me...

vaxn8r
07-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Your avg speed probably won't change much at all. What will change is your climbing and accelerating. If all your rides are alone don't bother. If you want something to be more competitive in a race or fast group or give you an edge in certain situations you will notice the difference

dohearne
07-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Your avg speed probably won't change much at all. What will change is your climbing and accelerating.

Up until this year, I have ridden mostly on a mid-level Bianchi road bike. This April I took delivery of a Legend ST. On my standard 32 mile course I am seeing equivalent average times when riding the 2 bikes at comparable efforts. I do find the Legend better (more responsive) in climbing or in acceleration and I find rides in the 60-70 mile range to be less tiring. The Legend may even give me slightly better average times, but not so I can notice given the variation due to wind and personal energy levels.

Dr. Doofus
07-15-2004, 09:26 PM
bike? The doc says its legs, lungs, balls, and tactics...which is why the doc races a corsa, and poorly, because the doc has no legs, no lungs, no balls, and can't stay upright, let alone read a race. crap.

if you want a new bike, and you can swing it, buy a new bike. its a source of pleasure. unless you're the bike. then you have to have somebody's sweaty ass rubbing on you all the time. ick.