PDA

View Full Version : ot: 'the office' or got an odd gift this weekend

norman neville
10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
considering it was not in a gift-giving context: all the dvd's of the original bbc 'the office'. don't watch the nbc version, but someone thought i would like it. anybody have it? worth keeeping or donate unwatched?

Steve Hampsten
10-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Keep it or donate it to me. It's completely brilliant and utterly painful to watch - like peeling a scab. Ricky Gervais is a genius.

Climb01742
10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
IMO, the bbc version is so much more painful and hilarious. it's still on, weekly, on bbc/america.

ti_boi
10-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Huge fan of the original....thought they were crazy to re-do it for US consumption....now a big fan of the U.S. version too. Think of it as two insanely bizzare branches of similar companies. Pure genuis. "Uncomfortable" is the key word here. But fantastic--renews my faith in television.

Kevan
10-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Can't watch the American version, reminds me too much my own sad existence. Stationed down in the basement, in the men's room.

norman neville
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
the show is something i had heard of, as in a, it's great, you'd like it, kind of thing. i don't watch much tv in general and never got into the us version.

sounds like it may be my cup of tea, though. i guess i'll pull the plastic off and see how it goes. i did catch gervais on letterman once a while back. he seemed like he had an interestingly odd pov. thanks for the info.

deechee
10-09-2007, 02:49 PM
took me a while to get into it but after a while I was hooked (the bbc series). Never bothered with the americanized version.

This coming from a guy who spent most of his weekend watching "deadwood" season2... (had a cold so I figured why not) Loved it!

norman neville
10-09-2007, 03:02 PM
took me a while to get into it but after a while I was hooked (the bbc series). Never bothered with the americanized version.

This coming from a guy who spent most of his weekend watching "deadwood" season2... (had a cold so I figured why not) Loved it!

saw much of that on dvd. two words: swearingen and...

Kevan
10-09-2007, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfZduS37s8&mode=related&search=

andy mac
10-10-2007, 05:24 PM
2 thumbs way up for the british version, half a thumb for the us version.

for the usa they redid 'ad fabulous' a few years back and will soon be doing it with the funny australian series 'kath and kim'. never as good as the originals.

intersting that the tv execs felt the need to remake for the usa. there's a big world out there, might be good to live in it...!

i would love to see a new zealand version of the sopranos and a german remake of seinfeld. sex in the city done in fiji perhaps?

:beer:

ThasFACE
10-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Hilarious. Keep it and enjoy.

rwsaunders
10-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I've never heard my wife and daughter laugh so hard as when they're watching that show. Haven't seen it yet.