PDA

View Full Version : Great River Ride: report

dauwhe
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
The Great River Ride is one of the most beautiful (and difficult) "centuries" in New England. It's been around for twenty years, and is run by Don Podolski out of Westfield, Massachusetts. The ride goes hither and yon through the Berkshires, often along various wild & scenic rivers. It's a bit more than 112 miles, and I'll just say there's probably not more than 1 mile of flat road on the whole route.

It's also the traditional end of the season ride for the New England Randonneuring community--it's our last chance to ride together and hang out, before we retreat into our winter routines.

My apologies to the few of you who are also on the NER list for the cross-posting. Just seemed like a good time for a non-controversial topic!

Highlights:

- seeing Tracey (Boston RBA) at the start
- the really good draft from Chip and Leo, who are both rather taller than me. Of course, they were so fast I only lasted the first four miles
- those cheap oatmeal cookies with white frosting
- endless beautiful views
- riding with Russ, Chuck, and Chuck's son Matt, who was riding (quite strongly) his third century ever
- seeing John riding well--he'd broken his collarbone at the end of the Westfield 600k brevet in 2006...
- baked potatoes!!!
- I don't know any other ride where it feels like there's this much downhill!
- passing groups of riders on the rough dirt road (only possible because I was trying to stay with Melinda and Ted)
- being hit by falling leaves
- hearing funny stories from Melinda and Ted
- my strongest climb of the year, up East River Road
- hardly being able to ride at all for an hour and a half after that effort
- seeing my first Zanconato in the flesh. Nice bike!
- catching up with Rick, and seeing his new Meivici
- DINNER! DESSERT!

Lowlights:

- not enough water in the "Great Rivers". Not like two years ago, after the flood : )
- having two waterbottles filled with Gatorade mixed from powder, one too strong, one too weak (yes, I realize there's an obvious solution, which I eventually implemented).

Warning:

- wearing a "New England Randonneurs" jersey on this ride meant that I had to explain the sport to six different people, all while out of breath on some crazy steep hill.

Trivia:

- this was my first ride of 100 or miles this year when I didn't drink chocolate milk (or hot chocolate)

Thanks to Don and Mary and everyone who made this another wonderful ride.

Dave

malcolm
10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Dave, I've never done the ride and don't live anywhere near there, but I've bought 3 frames from Don and he seems to be an incredibly nice guy. If I lived anywhere near there I would frequent his shop.

dauwhe
10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Dave, I've never done the ride and don't live anywhere near there, but I've bought 3 frames from Don and he seems to be an incredibly nice guy. If I lived anywhere near there I would frequent his shop.

Don's great. His shop is New Horizons in Westfield, Mass; he's a Serotta dealer. He's also the brevet administrator for Western Mass.--his 600k course through the Catskills and Vermont is one of my favorite rides.

Dave

tv_vt
10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Do these folks live up here? -

Tracey - small petite but amazing rider w/silver and blue Serotta
Leo (and Chip) - from Hanover?
Rick - as in Rick from Ludlow's Mtn Cycology?

Just wondering!

dauwhe
10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Actually, none of them are from Vermont, although I lived in Brattleboro until last fall! Chip and Leo are from Boston. Tracey is from the Boston suburbs, and is the Boston RBA. Rick is a friend of mine from Pittsfield, MA.

Dave

Kevan
10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Just seemed like a good time for a non-controversial topic!

I thoroughly enjoy riding in that general area, Lenox and north, beyond Pittsfield. Just the topic brings on a smile.

dauwhe
10-09-2007, 02:19 PM
+1

I love being on the ridges up there, where you can see for miles and miles. Views are a precious thing around here, what with all the trees :)

I think my favorite areas are a bit further north, north of Route 2. There are some specatacular places in Leyden, Heath, Rowe, , Monroe, Florida, etc... Some of the climbs are brutal, though. Beware of Kingsley Hill Road!

Dave

Johnnyg
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Dave, yes an EPIC ride for sure. My 12th year. I rode with Melinda and Ted from the last rest stop in, ouch did that hert. A truely beautiful day and Don is the Doctor of Pain with that course. It's a must do ride. Take care JohnnyG