PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Cantis

kbone
10-09-2007, 11:12 AM
I know that you are supposed to toe-in cantis to stop the squealing but Mr. Grumpy cantis don’t have a toe adjustment. What are the best options to achieve the proper toe angle when toe adjustment is not available (e.g. sanding the pads)?

thwart
10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Never used Mr. Grumpy's but with Avids I've had luck with "gentle" bending with an adjustable wrench. Try a little and recheck frequently. Large amounts of force/bending are frowned upon.

http://www.srp-usa.com/grumpy.pdf

Or get a set of Cane Creeks, ultimately the solution that worked the best for me. I have 2 sets (cross bike and commuter), neither has ever even muttered a peep. I'm a rank amateur (or worse) but they seem to stop well... but not much experience in the mud.

musgravecycles
10-09-2007, 12:15 PM
;)

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-1000227dt.jpg

kbone
10-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I wasn't sure about the bending. I thought it might be the way to go but figured I would ask first.

Brian Smith
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
In the Bentley manual for an A2 Volkswagen, within the Troubleshooting region of the Brake section, there is an entry for the symptom: squeal under light application while cold. The listed remedy is: "Normal Condition."

My favorite instance of discussion about brake squeal between a mechanic and a customer went sorta like:
"Hey, how do I get these Mafacs to stop squealing?"
"Easy, let go of the lever."

Hey, that's what Grumpy is all about, right?
They're copies of/take-offs on brakes that squealed.
Even Mafac ended up with brakes meant to be adjusted instead of bent.

kbone
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
In the Bentley manual for an A2 Volkswagen, within the Troubleshooting region of the Brake section, there is an entry for the symptom: squeal under light application while cold. The listed remedy is: "Normal Condition."

My favorite instance of discussion about brake squeal between a mechanic and a customer went sorta like:
"Hey, how do I get these Mafacs to stop squealing?"
"Easy, let go of the lever."

Hey, that's what Grumpy is all about, right?
They're copies of/take-offs on brakes that squealed.
Even Mafac ended up with brakes meant to be adjusted instead of bent.

What a great response! :beer:

I am new to cantis so this is a learning experience for me.

Ken Robb
10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
can you use pad holders with orbital/spherical washers and nuts? They allow toe-in. Also see if adjusting the pads in/out by sliding the posts back/forth. I'm sorry I don't know what your brakes look like but these tricks work with Shimano and DiaComp.

DarrenCT
10-09-2007, 09:20 PM
i just put on some cane creek canti's in hope that they work well.

any use these before? i think they are the same ones on the sachs cross bikes...